Ian and Wanda

Discussion for Stephenie Meyer's debut sci-fic/romance novel. Now open for all discussion. Don't enter if you haven't yet finished the book!
cuppa joe
Settled in Forks

Post by cuppa joe »

Sunspot wrote:And he was always overshadowed by Jared, just because Jared is ... cooler.

I'm so sorry Ian.
Not cooler, for me. Jared overshadowed Ian, only in the sense that he was the most powerful force in Mel's life. Any strong love or desire that Wanda feels was first experienced through Mel and her love for Jared. Wanda is a quiet little soul, letting others' needs and desires wash over her; they pulled her towards wanting to making others (Mel, Jared, Jamie) happy.

But I actually felt very little by way of strong emotion for Jared; I felt he and Mel weren't as developed characters as Ian and Wanda. (There were moments of empathy, though, especially when he would seek for/talk to Mel through Wanda.) Ian is definitely THE MAN. (p. 575: "...this man who was kind enough to be a soul but strong as only a human can be.")

Ian and Wanda's love is so pure. I can find no other word to describe it. And kudos to SM for making me, the reader, all sorts of achy and longing-y and weepy for this very unconventional couple.
showalittletwilight wrote:Wanderor was so beautiful in the end, in that new body. Though it was weird to picture her in your head because you were so used to picturing melanie, i thought this person's facial features and profile suited her more.She looked all magestic like.I was really happy that she got her own body.
It was weird and surprising for me too (I was surprised to feel so weird about it). You're imagining her one way, and then she's no longer that...just goes to show how above human instinct Ian is--to be able to love Wanderer-the-soul truly separately from her body, when we the readers have difficulty doing this! :)
[i]If all else perished, and he remained,
I should still continue to be;
and if all else remained and he were annihilated,
the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.[/i]

Scintilla
Settled in Forks

Post by Scintilla »

I absolutely adore Ian and Wanda! From the first time I read the word "Ian" I got a suspicious feeling. Haha. Overreacting! (But it paid off in the end) I squee'd often whenever Ian and Wanda had an interraction in the first half of the novel, no matter how brief.
Cinderella85 wrote:How old is he supposed to be? Her new body is like 17, is he about 26? Has it been stated anywhere?
I figured, ages went something like this:

Wanda: 17
Ian: 26
Jamie: 14
Mel: 20
Jared: 29
Kyle: 28
Ian is twenty-six? I never knew that! When I was reading The Host I tried to think of an appropriate age for him (I knew he had to be somewhere in the twenties), but I could really decide on any. But I like twenty-six! (At least he isn't twenty-nine. Erk.)

And if those really are the ages then I find it kind of ironic how Mel and Jared are nine years apart, and when Wanda gets a different body she and Ian are nine years apart, as well. Ha ha! It's like a little nostalgic reminder of the Mel/Jared/Wanda triangle.
"I am half sick of shadows," said
The Lady of Shalott. "

cuppa joe
Settled in Forks

Post by cuppa joe »

The issue of age, while interesting, is irrelevant though. I think the point of the story, for me, is that who we are is not bound or characterized by our bodies or ages. *channeling Ian*

That said, I wished Wanda's new body (Pet) were older, hahaaa!
[i]If all else perished, and he remained,
I should still continue to be;
and if all else remained and he were annihilated,
the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.[/i]

Hermsta
Settled in Forks

Post by Hermsta »

Well, I just finished The Host this afternoon after straight reading from the morning. I have to say, my mind doesn't wander from Twilight too much and I found a connection with Ian/Wanda and Edward/Bella. Ian is just so... Edwardy. If that hardly describes him. I liked him a lot and he's perfect for Wanda. Their relationship was much more... fitting and more connecting, more pure. You could feel it was stronger than Mel's and Jared's even though they had been together longer (and were the same species ;)) and even though Meyer described their relationship with such fire. A hard feeling to describe, really.

I love how Stephenie described his eyes. Piercing and vivd, yet beautiful, like Edward's. I especially loved Ian's quote, "I held you in my hand, Wanderer. And you were so beautiful." Ah! So Edward-like. *swoons for both Ian and Edward*
"And then his fingers flowed swiftly across the ivory, and the room was filled with a composition so complex, so luxuriant, it was impossible to believe only one set of hands played." -- <i>Twilight</i>
[img]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll39/fiddlerific/twilight/2aes5eu.png[/img]

Cinderella85
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Cinderella85 »

Scintilla wrote:
Cinderella85 wrote:How old is he supposed to be? Her new body is like 17, is he about 26? Has it been stated anywhere?
I figured, ages went something like this:

Wanda: 17
Ian: 26
Jamie: 14
Mel: 20
Jared: 29
Kyle: 28
Ian is twenty-six? I never knew that! When I was reading The Host I tried to think of an appropriate age for him (I knew he had to be somewhere in the twenties), but I could really decide on any. But I like twenty-six! (At least he isn't twenty-nine. Erk.)
I'm not sure, only a few were confirmed really, it was just my guess. Maybe Ian is actually only 23 or 24?
And yea, it is pretty irrelevant, but it interests me none the less to know how old they all are. I'm hoping Stephenie puts some more info out on the characters :)

Imagine how gorgeous their kids will be. Amazing blue eyes, and beautiful golden angelic hair :lol:
[img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Bewitching85/BreakingDawnavi.gif[/img][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Bewitching85/fyi.gif[/img][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Bewitching85/redhead-1.gif[/img]
[color=lawngreen][b]Love Jacob? Join the [url=http://www.twilightlexiconforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=19633]Relish Dog Pound[/url] - Some Like it Hot![/b][/color]

lexaprone
Wandering Through Town

Post by lexaprone »

IheartEC93 wrote:
"I think they're perfect together and I hope they never have a New-Moon-moment."

I wish that too for Ian and Wanda, but the premise of their entire relationship, the bittersweet absurdity of it, leaves them wide open to that "New Moon moment." I guess that's why it's the Ian-Wanda romance that trounces Jared-Mel's, at least in The Host. I imagine, in the sequel, that both relationships will be put to the test, and given their complex history, all four characters will figure in the crisis that lies ahead. I don't think a new character will have as much impact, or cause as much damage.

Anyways, after reading all the posts in this thread, I sense a Team Ian vs. Team Jared brewing...
"Darling, tell me now, have I done wrong somehow, that you won't look at me? Does that take the prize, how much I love those eyes, but they won't look at Me? Is there something I ought to know, you're finding hard to say? Well there's just a trace hiding on your face, and I learned it that way."--from A Certain Sadness (John Court/Carlos Eduardo Lyra)

Scintilla
Settled in Forks

Post by Scintilla »

Cinderella85 wrote:I'm not sure, only a few were confirmed really, it was just my guess. Maybe Ian is actually only 23 or 24?
And yea, it is pretty irrelevant, but it interests me none the less to know how old they all are. I'm hoping Stephenie puts some more info out on the characters :)

I hope she does too! Yay. I've been searching around trying to find if there were character infos of them, but sadly I couldn't find any. (I secretly hope she does outtakes/extras too -- Ian/Wanda stuff. Oy vey. <3)
Cinderella85 wrote:Imagine how gorgeous their kids will be. Amazing blue eyes, and beautiful golden angelic hair :lol:
Ahubahbuahfsflsf, is it bad that my hands kind of shake with excitement whenever I think of Ian and Wanda's kids?

They'll be so. Pretty. (I would be jealous. I know it.)
"I am half sick of shadows," said
The Lady of Shalott. "

lexaprone
Wandering Through Town

MOONING AT IAN AND WANDA

Post by lexaprone »

Uh, that previous one didn't look right. So hard to type with one ear on the phone. :? This is how i want it to look:

I wish that too for Ian and Wanda, but the premise of their entire relationship, the bittersweet absurdity of it, leaves them wide open to that "New Moon moment." I guess that's why it's the Ian-Wanda romance that trounces Jared-Mel's, at least in The Host. I imagine, in the sequel, that both relationships will be put to the test, and given their complex history, all four characters will figure in the crisis that lies ahead. I don't think a new character will have as much impact, or cause as much damage.

Anyways, after reading all the posts in this thread, I sense a Team Ian vs. Team Jared brewing..
"Darling, tell me now, have I done wrong somehow, that you won't look at me? Does that take the prize, how much I love those eyes, but they won't look at Me? Is there something I ought to know, you're finding hard to say? Well there's just a trace hiding on your face, and I learned it that way."--from A Certain Sadness (John Court/Carlos Eduardo Lyra)

Sweet_Madness
Wandering Through Town

Post by Sweet_Madness »

Personally I'm more for the Melanie and Jared relantionship. I found myself dying to read the moments when Mel would be showing Wanda memories (of Mel and Jared, how they met etc) and when I did get to the pages I'd read them about 3 times before moving on :) I just loved everything about it, how he still held out for her, still held the flame even though Wanda had taken over her, his love for her kept him believing. At one point I actually thought he'd gotten over Mel...the book almost took a first class trip out the nearest window! xp
I wish there had been more Melanie&Jared moments, I was too deprived of them :(
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k191/buffybabe_2006/twilightsiggy.jpg[/img]

Cinderella85
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Cinderella85 »

Scintilla wrote:Ahubahbuahfsflsf, is it bad that my hands kind of shake with excitement whenever I think of Ian and Wanda's kids?

They'll be so. Pretty.
Ridculously pretty! lol

Awww, I love them. I've started my reread now, and I'm loving the beginning of Ian & Wanda all over again.
Where he reaches out to her neck/bruises, and apologises, and I love how he sits by her when she tells her stories, close enough to touch. And how he and Doc agree to protect her *squees*

Hey, do we have ship names yet? What are they? Ianda? Wan? :lol:
[img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Bewitching85/BreakingDawnavi.gif[/img][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Bewitching85/fyi.gif[/img][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Bewitching85/redhead-1.gif[/img]
[color=lawngreen][b]Love Jacob? Join the [url=http://www.twilightlexiconforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=19633]Relish Dog Pound[/url] - Some Like it Hot![/b][/color]