The Cullen Crest

Discussion about the Twilight movie. It's all speculation until Summit Films actually produces a script and casts it.
fluxxii
Wandering Through Town

Post by fluxxii »

bkl wrote:exactly- the Cullens try not to be unique!
-bri
That's pretty debatable. If they were really trying not to stand out, they could all be driving old, beat up cars rather than the fancy cars that stick out from everyone else's cars in town. Likewise, they could also be socializing more in school rather than isolating themselves to their own table and making themselves unapproachable. I know the Cullens do try, but it's pretty obvious that they are unique.

Anyway, I think that the crest adds an awesome touch! I don't think it was meant to be such a big deal though, just a cool addition that not many people probably would have noticed if it weren't for the attention given to it. Personally, I'm waiting until it hits the market. :twisted:

Minireb123
Ignoring Renee's E-mails

Post by Minireb123 »

I like the crests =]

Especially on Edward/Rob...for some reason they make him even more hotter than he was to begin with? lol maybe I'm just attracted to guys who wear bracelets like that xD
[img]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc242/Minireb123/fightaneclipse.jpg[/img]

Shortehlaurs
Learning to Love Green

Post by Shortehlaurs »

I agree with fluxxii. If the Cullens really, really wanted to be a part of the crowd they would try to be a little more normal. As Bella said the nicest car there was a silver shiny volvo. But then one day Rosalie took Emmett, Jasper and Alice to school in her BMW M3 convertible. Everyone pretty much knows the Cullens are different, and have quite a bit of money. They try, but I think they more or less try so that no one suspects them of being very different in the way that they are. Plus, I think they isolate themselves the way they do so that no one gets close enough to them, just in case.

I don't think many would have noticed the Crest as much had they not mentioned they added it in. It's not a big deal, and it's just there to show that they are a tight knit family. They are close. I also like to think the Crest may also remind them of the way of life they chose. It's a nice touch.

*DramaQueen*
Wandering Through Town

Post by *DramaQueen* »

bkl wrote:I've decided that I don't like it... I really don't think its something that the Cullens would do!
I just don't like the idea one bit.
they try NOT to be ostentatious- they don't try to show off! they TRY to fit in for goodness' sake! (I mean, they don't succeed or anything, but they try)
why would they all wear a crest???

Why is Stephenie letting them do this? Why is she letting them mess with her book?!?!?

eeeewww! :x the idea is grosser and grosser the more I think about it!
-bri[/i]
yeah I kind of agree with you!
But You have to remember that Stephanie sold the rights to the story so they can pretty much do whatever they want. In theory. She doesn't control it she just gives imput.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/africanprincess/Myspace/Stupidvolvoowner.gif[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/africanprincess/Myspace/EmmettCullen.jpg[/img]

Alleymania
Wandering Through Town

Post by Alleymania »

I think the crest was unnessecary. We know who the Cullens are. I think the shamrocks mean luck and the lion means strength
** I'll be your Bella if you'll be my Edward**

leahfellinlovwithtwilight
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by leahfellinlovwithtwilight »

ive grown to like the crest, though i was first upset that they added stuff, i realized that stephenie would have objected to something that went against the book too badly, so i think it was a decent idea. as for the meaning, i think it means that they are totally strong and lucky!
oh, and freekin team jane! hope she finds a nice vampire boy thats not quite as hot as edward, but pretty freekin close!

"when i got home, all my things were in the garage."
edward cullen

that.one.kid
Settled in Forks

Post by that.one.kid »

i dont know why they added it and im not sure if i like that they did that.... i do like how it makes them seem closer though :]

so because it said on this thread that you could google the real cullen crest, i got bored... and i did. the red and white are the same colors as my familys crest and because im weird i googled cullen and fitzgerald together {not my last name but its my family name, like my grandparents and stuff} and i found this:
Edward Cullen, born 1821 or 1823, was from Co Kilkenny and married Elizabeth Fitzgerald (born 1821? in Ireland). Family is traced to Dayton, Montgomery Co., Ohio. They had a daughter Catherine Cecilia, born May 1,1854, who married Oscar Samuel Metcalf on Dec 31,1884 in Dayton. Edward Cullen died May 9,1876 and Elizabeth on May 23,1895. haha and i wasnt even looking for an edward cullen it just happened like that. how funny is that?

but yeah the crest is starting to grow on me... and when/if they do decide to sell them to the public, i want one :3.

Alice's Twin Sister
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

The Crest

Post by Alice's Twin Sister »

Well I just sort of assumed that without it even being mentioned in the book that there would be a family crest somehow identifying their "heritage". With Carlisle being I assume, British, I figured he'd have some sort of familial symbol for the family name.

I sort of wish that the crest however had a little bit of back story to it though to explain the significance of the the symbols. It would be more meaningful if say the shamrocks represented the origin of the Cullen name to be Irish ...but if Carlisle is British then this doesn't follow. The Lion can represent the fierce strength and tenacity of the family ties maybe. Plus Lions are often revered as the Kings of the animal kingdom, royalty. The hand maybe could represent knowledge and wisdom, often a hand is used to represent clairvoyance or the future.

When I saw the MTV interview that addressed the crest I was left with a lot of ambivalence because no meaning was assigned to it. I thought that maybe a bit more creative thought should have went into the design. It seemed like all anyone understood was that it was a cool design and that that was all it was, a cool design.
[url=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][img]http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/2940/mybannerglitterb9cd1465hd2.gif[/img][/url]

Alice and Rosalie Rock!

Gitta
Settled in Forks

Post by Gitta »

Haha the crest is a fun little detail but it bothers me that the wrsit thing looks quite similar to a sweat band or something :). It makes sense tho that Carlisle weares a ring because he's old faishoned brittish:)

aurelia94
Learning to Love Green

Re: The Crest

Post by aurelia94 »

Alice's Twin Sister wrote:Well I just sort of assumed that without it even being mentioned in the book that there would be a family crest somehow identifying their "heritage". With Carlisle being I assume, British, I figured he'd have some sort of familial symbol for the family name.

I sort of wish that the crest however had a little bit of back story to it though to explain the significance of the the symbols. It would be more meaningful if say the shamrocks represented the origin of the Cullen name to be Irish ...but if Carlisle is British then this doesn't follow. The Lion can represent the fierce strength and tenacity of the family ties maybe. Plus Lions are often revered as the Kings of the animal kingdom, royalty. The hand maybe could represent knowledge and wisdom, often a hand is used to represent clairvoyance or the future.

When I saw the MTV interview that addressed the crest I was left with a lot of ambivalence because no meaning was assigned to it. I thought that maybe a bit more creative thought should have went into the design. It seemed like all anyone understood was that it was a cool design and that that was all it was, a cool design.
if you go back through this thread there's heaps of discussion about the meaning of the various symbols.... they are all quite relevant (it's just that the actors probably weren't aware of them in the interview....) and similar to the actual real-life crest for the name

It's also highly likely that Carlisle has Irish heritage (though he was born in London) - hence the Irish name 'Cullen' ;)
"If we play very quiet, my Lamb, Mary never has to know..." - Loose Control, Evanescence