Screen Chemistry

Discussion about the Twilight movie. It's all speculation until Summit Films actually produces a script and casts it.
Cocoa
Clarifying Base Running for Edward

Screen Chemistry

Post by Cocoa »

There has been alot of talk during the casting process about Actor Chemistry. It has been reported that Robert and Kristen have excellent chemistry. This is a thread to explore that topic.

What makes good on screen chemistry?
What are some successful on screen duos?
Are there some examples of bad on screen chemistry out there?
Can good chemistry or the lack there of make or brake a movie?
How does this chemistry effect the viewer?

nikkita
Fishing with Charlie

Post by nikkita »

being physically attracted to each other makes good chemistry, as does just enjoying the other persons company. i think there are different levels of chemistry. these may not be the best examples lol but im working on it. charlie's angels, all three of them just get along you can tell they're good friends, thats chemistry. Mr. and Mrs. Smith, that doesnt need a lot of explaining lol. i dont think mr and mrs smith would've been nearly as good if brad and angelina hadnt been in it. erm im still working on other examples i guess.

Lomesir22
Rapier Wit Hurts, Don't Make Me Stab You

Post by Lomesir22 »

There is no recipe for it. It happens or it doesn't, imo. I've seen actors and actresses that, individually, very talented and convincing, but together they stunk. A lot of it is how well the characters click. A hardcore goth and a ditzy cheerleader may be an unlikely pair, but if there is a vein of similarity between them, that will bloom into the beginning of chemistry.

Willow and Oz from BtVS come to mind. That relationship was totally believable. They had great chemistry.

Rachel and Joshua on Friends (late fourth season). They had nothing in common, all banter fell flat, and everything seemed forced.

Oh yes! If it's a romance, then chemistry is the key thing that actors must have. I didn't enjoy much of Disney's new movie Enchanted because Patrick Dempsey and Amy Adams had zippo chemistry.

Chemistry is the element that makes the viewers forget that they're watching people on a screen. If there is no chemistry, you can't leave reality. If you can't leave reality, then the movie makers have failed.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/lomesir/jaspershair.jpg[/img]

nissanmama
In Love with Fur

Post by nissanmama »

As odd as this sounds, I enjoyed Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore in 50 First Dates. I'm not a huge fan of either of them, but I loved this movie. I think their individual quirks came together beautifully to make a very funny, and touching movie.

I liked David Duchovney and Minnie Driver in Return to Me. The rest of the cast really filled that one out, including the dog, but I thought they were so believable together.

Interestingly enough, Robin Williams and Annabella Sciorra were a good pairing. I cried a lot in What Dreams May Come. Maybe it was just the intensity of the movie.

How much do you suppose is chemistry and how much is directing/script I wonder? I can't see the above couples succeeding as well in different stories.
[size=134][color=pink]Inquisitive VampKitten[/color][/size]
[img]http://lh3.google.com/tarllambson/R0u-HVJuDhI/AAAAAAAAAL8/4JlaeAkOKoA/s800/cope.gif[/img]
[size=109]40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope[/size]
[size=84]Banner by the amazingly talented and hysterically funny Fry[/size]

Cocoa
Clarifying Base Running for Edward

Post by Cocoa »

Like the undeniable chemistry between Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. They are amazing together...unless you watch Joe verses the volcano *shudders*. So there must be some part of it that is a good script.

Lomesir22
Rapier Wit Hurts, Don't Make Me Stab You

Post by Lomesir22 »

Sudden thought: chemistry isn't always romantic. Morgan Freeman and Jessica Tandy's chemistry in Driving Miss Daisy made that movie. Hillary Swank and Clint Eastwood's relationship in Million Dollar Baby is why the ending was so slit-your-wrists sad.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/lomesir/jaspershair.jpg[/img]

nikkita
Fishing with Charlie

Post by nikkita »

yeah i think its hard to tell between good writing and chemistry sometimes
i kept wanting to put down pride ad prejudice, just because i love the book and the movies, but in the newest one i felt like keira knightley and the guy that played darcy really werent a good pair, she made lizzie to angry i think, and the few scenes they had together nothing made you think they belonged together. i do think that in the bbc version colin firth and the girl that played lizzie had excellent chemistry, there was hardly any physical contact but when they were in the same room together you could just tell.
thats how it should be with edward and bella!

alduhkneel
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by alduhkneel »

i can't personally say what it should be like on the actor's end, but from a viewer's POV, it should convince us that they were meant to be, that the emotions they share with one another are reality - i don't know, i can't really explain it well. >_>

I always imagine Noah and Allie (Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams) as one of the best on screen duos. By the end of the movie I kept thinking, damn it, they need to be together in real life (and then I found out they were...haha). i also love watching drew barrymore and adam sandler together; every movie they've made makes me happy, haha.

i can't think of any off the top of my head, but i'll come back to edit this.

Can good chemistry or the lack there of make or break a movie?
it most definitely can. if you can't convince the viewer of the passion and love between you two, the whole movie is pointless. it throws the credibility of the whole thing into the garbage, really.

well, personally, it gets me excited, haha. the better the chemistry is on screen, the more i get involved - the more i want to spend time with the characters and understand them.
[b]ALDUHKNEEL:[/b] it was something like "thanks a lot Twilight, for giving me unrealistic expectations for human men" and it's so true
[b]ALDUHKNEEL:[/b] like now i'll expect the perfect guy to be either a) this sweet smelling, golden eyed, vegetarian vampire or b) this 6' something Native American werewolf who's basically a space heater with a body temp of 108.9
[b]SPANDEXGALORRRE:[/b] i'd go with the space heater.
[b]ALDUHKNEEL:[/b] i'm starting to think that too...

Mayde
Better Tracking Skills Than James

Re: Screen Chemistry

Post by Mayde »

Like Lomesir22 said, it either happens or it doesn't, and sometimes you just can't pinpoint why. It seems that the actors that click the most on-screen are usually the ones that click the most in real life though there are definitely exceptions to that as well. So I guess it all comes down to that elusive "it" factor that makes good on-screen chemistry.

Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie
Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki :D
Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan (okay, it's a quartet and not a duo, but I had to add them)
Cary Elwes and Robin Wright Penn

Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez
Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman
Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman
Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley (oddly enough, I think the chemistry got progressively worse as more movies were made)

Yes. The script, sfx, etc do count somewhat for whether a movie works or not, but ultimately it's the actors. If the audience doesn't believe the actors, then the movie has failed.

It affects believability. If we don't believe it, then there's no point in watching it.

EDIT: I type slow. I come to post and there are 5 more post between when I start typing to when I actually submit the post :roll:
Last edited by Mayde on Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nissanmama
In Love with Fur

Post by nissanmama »

Yes, even Meg and Tom couldn't save Joe and the Volcano. I think Tom even shudders when he's asked about that one.

Oh, I l-o-v-e-d Josh Lucas and Reese Witherspoon in Sweet Home Alabama. They really struck me as having known each other forever.

I really liked the triangle between Denzel Washington, Whitney Houston, and Courtney Vance in The Preacher's Wife. However, in the original, The Bishop's Wife, Cary Grant totally overshadowed David Niven. Perhaps that made him more like an angel. We believed part of Loretta Young wanted to run away with him. Even at the end of the movie when Niven's character came around, he wasn't nearly as likable as Grant. Interesting to see basically the same movie with different "chemistry."

I'm having trouble coming up with bad ones, probably because I've blocked those movies out.

ETA: OH! I was looking in another forum and a thread name reminded me of the TV show Moonlighting. Does anyone remember that?!? Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd had serious chemistry. It drove the whole show and the country got twitterpated just watching them. The Taming of the Shrew is still an oft quoted and classic episode. And yes, the narrator's voice was Winnie the Pooh.
[size=134][color=pink]Inquisitive VampKitten[/color][/size]
[img]http://lh3.google.com/tarllambson/R0u-HVJuDhI/AAAAAAAAAL8/4JlaeAkOKoA/s800/cope.gif[/img]
[size=109]40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope[/size]
[size=84]Banner by the amazingly talented and hysterically funny Fry[/size]