Chapter Five: Cheater

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
Chaos
Lusting for blood

Post by Chaos »

1) This is the first mention we have of the huge black bear wandering around the forest of Forks. What was your first impression of this information? Did you think it would be as important as it turned out to be?

Wolf, I knew it immediately. I had already heard that Jacob was a were-wolf, so I kind of put two and two together

2) What did you think of Mike in this chapter and his behavior toward Bella? Were you surprised that he wasn't trying to 'make the most' of working alone with her?

I thought Mike was... better. He's still not the favorite in my eyes, but he kind of surprised me.

3) What did you think of Bella's motorcycle plan?

That she was going to get in an accident, because she tripped over it and rolled off a cliff and die. I was not for the plan, but found it really entertaining to read. I'm glad she didn't trip.

4) When you first saw Jacob through Bella's eyes, what did you think? Did you like him? Did you think he would become as important to her as he did?

I'm still nuetral on the whole Jacob situation, and I knew he was going to be a big part of her life. The relationship was forming as I read, I may be oblivious to most of the obvious, but I didn't miss that.

5) Were you surprised by Bella's complete reluctance to leave Forks or did you suspect it given Edward's minimally lingering presence? Why or why not?

I kind of figured that she would take any part that Edward left her. Including a small town, with every memory she could remember. I understood, Forks is a living, breathing memory to her. I could see why she wouldn't want to leave that.

6) This is the first time we see Billy without Edward around or the threat of Edward looming. Did your impression of him change at all from Twilight? Why or why not?

He seemed less fore-boding, and more sweet, but I still see him as the supersticious old man. Even though he was technically right
[img]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6953/bannerchaoskt6.png[/img]

TransparencyxThroughxSong
Settled in Forks

Post by TransparencyxThroughxSong »

1. I didn't think it would turn out to be a werewolf, but i thought it was something important.

2. Mike just wants to be with her really badly......REALLY badly.

3. I thought it was a brilliant plan, but a little dangerous because Bella=danger.

4. I thought he had a nice aura about him. Happiness, personal sunshine.

5. I think she wanted one of the cullens to come back, but she also thinks she has a responsibility to her father.

6. I thought he was a little better with her, but he was still superstitious(i can't think of a better word)
I had dinner with Dracula in my dream last night. He's pretty cool and a good cook...go figure...

thirsty 4 blood
Settled in Forks

Post by thirsty 4 blood »

1) This is the first mention we have of the huge black bear wandering around the forest of Forks. What was your first impression of this information? Did you think it would be as important as it turned out to be?

Obviously it had to be important. I mean come on, Stephanie knows what she is doing. I really don't think she would put anything of utter irrelavance in the book. I'm not really sure what my first impression was though.

2) What did you think of Mike in this chapter and his behavior toward Bella? Were you surprised that he wasn't trying to 'make the most' of working alone with her?

I kind of was annoyed with him. I always have been, and yes, I was surprised he wasn't "making the most" of working with her.

I personally think it was totally wreckless, but then again I have an irrational fear of motorcycles...lol.

4) When you first saw Jacob through Bella's eyes, what did you think? Did you like him? Did you think he would become as important to her as he did?

I thought that, well I'm not exactly sure what I thought. I was really confused about everything thus far just because of everything that was happening. I did like him, but I had a feeling that he wasn't going to be as important as he turned out to be, I should have known better though.

5) Were you surprised by Bella's complete reluctance to leave Forks or did you suspect it given Edward's minimally lingering presence? Why or why not?

I kind of expected it. I mean when you are so attached to something you would want to live it for as long as possible. When I read about the "lingering prescence" I knew she wasn't going to give up.

6) This is the first time we see Billy without Edward around or the threat of Edward looming. Did your impression of him change at all from Twilight? Why or why not?

Yes, I guess so. I mean he seemed so much happier and not all gloom and doom. I guess I wasn't really expecting that. He really wasn't as bad as I had perceived him to be.

danobanano
Putting the FUN in funfur

Post by danobanano »

I was waiting for the werewolves to appear in New Moon. In fact my friends and I were taking bets to see if book two was going to be about Werewolves or Rosalie's conflict with Bella. So when the Title was announced the Moon part decided the werewolf storyline for me.

I didn't give Mike much thought as this point, probably because if Bella were as depressed as I knew her to be, she wouldn't be good company for anybody.

I love motorcycles so I had a hard time grasping the "they are so dangerous" notion of them.

I never saw their bond as friends being so close. But believe me I was not disappointed by any means, in fact when we get the "Paris" chapter I will have a few things to say on this topic.

Bella couldn't leave Forks what kind of story would it be if she did?
[img]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii6/NenaCullen/hbdayalphie.jpg[/img](banner designed by the ever creative NenaCullen)
Happy Birthday Oh Great One Thanks for being more obsessed than any of us!

Tamora
Learning to Love Green
Location: snuggling with Alice (can't help it - I have a crush)

Post by Tamora »

No, but for a moment I thought it might be something vampire-y. But when I saw that Jacob was playing a larger part, I rememebred his other appearences in Twilight, annd the werewolf story.

I actually was pretty surprised, but around the middle of the chapter I realized that, though Mike likes her, he's not a bad guy and isn't going to bother her with this stuff when she's still so clearly distressed. Besides, she's like a zombie. And who wants to date a zombie? Vampires, maybe. Zombies? Yuck.

Loved it. I knew it was going to end up in lots of scrapes and bruises, but just as far as plot and character development goes, it was something completely self destructive, completely wreckless, completely uncharacteristic, and also had the added benefit of being fun. It seems a lot like something someone going through depression would do.

I liked him, and I knew that he was going to be important. Actually, I thought that since the 1st book, but that's just because of the whole introducing-a-character-by-name-and-giving-a-backstory thing. If you do that, then they've gotta have a role to play.

I was a little surprised, yeah, but I get it.

A lot. In the first book he was seen purely as an antagonist... a well intentioned one, but an antagonist nonetheless. In 'New Moon' we see the more human side of him and have a chance to like him as a person.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c386/CallMeTamTamAndYouDIE/Twilight/darkened.jpg[/img]
[size=117][url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoH_twilight/]My Brand of Heroin: A Twilight Fan Group[/url][/size]

Alice's Grandma
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Alice's Grandma »

Since I was completely clueless to all the forshadowing in Twilight, I really tried to pay attention while reading NM. I actually did pick up on the conversation about the huge black bear, but I so desperately wanted the Cullens to be watching out for Bella that I convinced myself it was somehow one of them.

"Wow, even Mike gave up on her, that's really sad."

I really didn't think much about it. I guess I was happy that she was at least doing something - even if she did have ulterior motives.

I always liked Jacob. This chapter was the first sign to me that Bella was going to get through her grief, but I didn't expect him to become as important as he did. Don't ask me why, it seemed a rather obvious solution.

It didn't surprise me. I expected her to be waiting/hoping Edward would return even though she really thought the Cullens were gone for good.

I never really blamed Billy for his interference in Twilight. He was just looking out for Bella. At this point of the book I actually liked Billy even more (my opinion changes later). Jacob and Billy created such a warm, welcoming environment for Bella that I couldn't dislike either of them.

*cullens & converse
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *cullens & converse »

I didn't think it would be all that important...I thought it was going to end up really being a grizzly, and just put there as a painful reminder to Bella about the Cullens, with Emmett and grizzlies and everything :P

I think this is where he started to side with Angela and the others in her "group" that knew that she had a reason to be so depressed...he knew he wasn't siding with Lauren and Jessica, so he's trying to cheer Bella up and he knows flirting with his isn't going to work.

I had no clue what she was thinking...it just wasn't like her, but of course this whole book wasn't very like her...but it wasn't her fault, was it? :evil: :P

I thought he'd become important to her, but no, I did not like him...I didn't in Twilight either, even if he was hardly mentioned.

I knew she'd never leave Forks until Edward came back..she'd never find him again if she had moved.

He obviously knew Edward left, so now he's all happy with Bella...that made me dislike him even more.
[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/cullens_converse/ssg/pippa.png[/img]
^Thank you Saffy (t1gr), my wonderful secret santa, for the set! It's gorgeous, thank you!!

[url=http://z7.invisionfree.com/vesperarium/index.php?showtopic=210][img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/cullens_converse/animfinalcopy.gif[/img][/url]
<3GOPATRIOTS

beautiful_eyes07
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by beautiful_eyes07 »

I was kind of like... "Ok... let's move along here..." Ha. Little did I know...

Now that I think about it, I was surprised. Hmmm... I was still a little bit in "Where's Edward!?!?!" mode...

This will end up in the ER. Ha! I was right...

I was glad she was normal compared to Zombie-Bella. I'm not a Jake-Hater. I'm glad he helped Bella survive.

At first, in the beginning I was surprised that she stayed in Forks, but it makes sense she stayed. In sunny, crowded Jacksonville, Flordia, how could anyone think vampires exsist?

I still didn't really like Billy. Haha. He's an Edward-hater! Get him! Haha, I'm just kidding. I just don't like him; he bugs me. I'm not quite sure why but I just don't like him.
[b][i]Love is irrational.[/b][/i]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/KloRoxMySoxes/Icons/Books/muttstwi13.png[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/KloRoxMySoxes/Icons/Books/muttstwi14.png[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/KloRoxMySoxes/Icons/Books/muttstwi15.png[/img]
I love analogies!

zombie
Wandering Through Town

Post by zombie »

I never really thought much of it. I didn't think it would be as important as it was.

I thought he was acting like anyone would around someone who'd basically been just existing for months. I figured he'd given up a long time ago.

I thought it was ridiculously dangerous, but I understood her reasons.

I've always liked Jacob, ever since Twilight. I did think he would become important to her, because he was basically the only friend she had who hadn't seen her as a zombie for the whole four months, so he was a lot less likely to judge her than Mike, Jessica, etc. were.

I thought it was the fact that Forks was where she was with Edward. It was where she was happiest.

I never really hated him as much as some people did. I realize that he hated Edward, but he was really just trying to protect Bella.

redhead6791
Wandering Through Town

Post by redhead6791 »

I didn't know what to think...how do you tie huge black bears into this story? I actually thought of the wolf thing, but I ignored it until later on in the book!

I though his change was normal. After Bella being so out of it for a while, I am sure that no one had really talked to her for a while.

I thought it was genious! :D

I personally don't like Jacob. He should've been more sensitive to Bella's felling's toward Edward and the Cullens earlier on. I thought he would have a lot to do in the book, maily because I wasn't sure when Edward was coming back and I knew she had to talk to someone to help her survive.

I was not suprised. I would've stayed in Forks as long as I could've just to maybe heal quicker.

No. I think that Billy should've been nicer to the Bella/Edward thing in Twilight. It was none of his business wether or not Bella was dating him or not.
"Before you, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars - points of light and reason...and then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn't see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason for anything."