Chapter Four: Waking Up

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
virginiax7
Has caught sight of Edward

Re: Chapter Four: Waking Up

Post by virginiax7 »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?
I though the description was very realistic, you could almost feel Bella's pain as she was talking about how hard the last few months had been for her.
2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?
I didn't want Bella to leave Forks, but I can understand that from Charlie's point of view, it would seem like going back to live with her mother is a better idea.
3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?
I think she chose Jess because she knew that Jessica wouldn't spend the whole eveing psychoanalyzing her, like someone like Angela, who's more perceptive, might. That night kind of ruined their realtionship after the whole "Bella hearing voices" thing.
4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?
When she heard Edward's voice, I had no idea what was happening. I was expecting her to turn around and see Edward standing on the sidewalk or something. As much as I think it was a pretty dumb idea to do a bunch of really risky things in order to hear someone's voice, I can't say that I blame Bella. I probably would have done the same thing in her place.
[size=75][b][color=yellow]VMT Queen of Sprinkles[/color]
[color=cyan]"It may, after all, be the bad habit of creative talents to invest themselves in pathological extremes that yeild remarkable insights but no durable way of life for those who cannot translate their psychic wounds into significant art or thought."[/color][/b][/size]

that*crooked*smile
Settled in Forks

Post by that*crooked*smile »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel? The beggining of the chapter really hit home, because it was obvious that she would be upset if he left, but she compleetly fell apart. It was reaaly depressing.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not? In retrospect, I think Bella should have left and stayed with her mother, in order to leave everything behind and strat again. Yes, it would hurt Charlie, but I think that it was hurting him more seeing her a lifeless zombie. Of course, if she had gone then she probably never would have gotten closer with Jacob, or seen Edward again (unless he went looking for her, which, knowing him, he would)

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship? I think she probably chose Jessica because was her first 'friend' in Forks and so was probably more likely to agree to go out with her. Bella also found her the easiest to spend a night with because she wouldnt have to say much to keep conversation going, unlike with ANgela, who would be much more perceptive. It pretty much was the final straw for their relationship; poor Jess doesnt hear a word from her in months, then she gets invited to go to Port Angeles out of the blue, only to watch Bella start acting crazy!

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger? I really thought it was him! It was of course, wishful thinking. :) Althought it was pretty stupid to go around doing dangerous acts to hear Edward's voice, i was content to hear his voice than to read a book with nothing about Edward at all. It also brought them back together anyway.
[i][b]I promise to love you forever. Every single day of forever.[/i][/b]

melting into you
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: in my mind obsessing about the Twilight series, or sitting quiet re-reading them again!

Post by melting into you »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel?

No I lived it and wow the description was right on. Kudos to Stephenie's writing, she really got the empty emotion and pain down! I loved the few chapters empty. It tugged at my heart so much. So well done I felt I was Bella.

2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not?

I didn't want Bella to leave where she last saw Edward. It was too soon.

3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?

I don't think it would have mattered who Bella picked. She was closer to Jess if you call it that so I can see her attempting to try. It ended the friendship cause Jesse is a jerk. Selfish jerk.

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger?

I melted. MELTED. I knew it was Edward. Not just in her head. He'll always watch out for her through Alice. It made me feel so good he wasn't as cold as I thought. I super love her putting herself in danger to get that voice back. Go Bella!
[img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/Narvousgirl/itsatiebanner.jpg[/img]

little_lamb
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by little_lamb »

I know that pain.

Yes. It was a time that she needed her mother, and Charlie could see that.

I still don't understand why she chose Jessica Stanley. Maybe it's because she was the first person to really befriend Bella when she first moved. No, I didn't think Jessica was a good choice because Bella herself said the only person who she felt she could be around was Angela. Bella wasn't much of a talker. And it's hindered their friendship ultimately.

I thought it was his real voice. I had a brain fart and forgot that her mind wasn't penetrable to him. And I think I would do the same thing if I were in her position.
<b>Team Edward</b> [color=black]<i>House of Esme</i>[/color] <b>Cullenist</b> [color=black]<i> Team Ian</i>[/color]
[img]http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk218/stupidunreliablevampire/Banners/imadethis.jpg[/img]
banner by me.

SilentlyScreaming
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by SilentlyScreaming »

No, that how i expect her to feel. I felt really bad for her.

Yes i agree with Charlie, with leaving forks it gave her a better chance to move on, get away from where all of this happened. But i am really glad that she didn't leave.

I don't know why she chose Jessica, maybe because that was the first person that came to her mind to go and do something with.

I thought that some how he could talk to her through her head. Weird right. I under stand though why she kept putting her self in danger.
[size=75][b]He must have been eager to give me my non-present, because [i]human velocity[/i] was not fast [u]enough[/u] for him.[/b][/size]

bella is my hero
Wandering Through Town

Post by bella is my hero »

were you at all surprised by the descriptionbella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four monthes?how did that make you feel?

i wasnt surprised at all.he was her whole life in forks,the one she lived for.Um... since im a freak about love stories,i get wrapped up in all the emotions,so,i cried when she cried.I imagined what that would feel like and it made me cry even harder.

did you agree with charlie that bella should go and be with her mother again?why or why not?

yes,to a point.charlie didnt understand ANYTHING about bella and edward.he didnt know how much they really cared for each other.

bella chose to spend a first attempt at normalcy with jessica stanly.Why do you think she chose jess and not one of her other friends?do you think jess was a good first choice?how do you think this event impacted their relationship?

i think she chose jess because she was her first friend when she moved to forks.i guess bella felt like an outsider again,like she did when she first moved to forks.no,i dont think it was a good choice because shes better friends w/ lauren & lauren doesnt like bella so... i think it actually seperated them more.

when bella first heard edward's voice,did you think it was REALLY his voice,or just in her head?what do you think of her solution to hear his voice by putting herself in danger?

i had hoped that he could communicate w/ her when i first read it,though it was near impossible.it was really sad that she put her safety in danger to hear his voice,i'll admit that i wuld do it too.[/i]
"sleep,my bella.Dream happy dreams.You are the only one who has touched my heart.It will be forever yours.Sleep,my only love."-edward cullen

joanne
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by joanne »

1. Were you at all surprised by the description Bella gave of the dullness that surrounded her life for the past four months? How did that make you feel? No, absolutly not..when you lose someone you love with all of your being, it hurts, especially when they leave you. I felt..like it would feel..like your looking up and only seeing the bottoms of peoples shoes.
2. Did you agree with Charlie that Bella should go and be with her mother again? Why or why not? As a parent - YES. We always want to protect our children. As Bella, No. If she would have lost that last bit of connection with Edward, I don't think she would have made it.
3. Bella chose to spend her first attempt at normalcy with Jessica Stanley. Why do you think she chose Jess and not one of her other friends? Do you think Jess was a good choice? How do you think this event impacted their relationship?Spending time with Jessica is mindless and brainless, that is what Bella needed. RELATIONSHIP?? what they had is not, in my opinion a relationship. it is just whatever..

4. When Bella first heard Edward's voice, did you think it was REALLY his voice or just in her head? What do you think of her solution to hear his voice more often by putting herself in danger? Well, I believe SM stated that it was NOT really Edwards voice. From a romantic point of view, I like to think it was. Probably it was in Bella's head. When we want or need something bad enough, we will it to happen. I would have continued to put myself in danger to hear his voice. I know it is not the sensible thing to do, but....

"Time passes. Even when it seems impossible. Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise. It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for
me". (NM4)

"Losing track of time was the most I asked from life". (NM 4)

Jennmc
Wandering Through Town

Post by Jennmc »

I was not surprised at all. It made me hurt for her. Yet another chapter that I cried hysterically through.

Absolutely not. At least in Forks she would not forget. That to me would be the most important thing is to never forget.

I knew right away she chose Jess because she didn't have to put forth much effort with her. She would carry any conversation and maybe Bella could get through the ordeal without many questions. Yes, Jess was a good choice. I think it drove an even bigger wedge between her and Jess.

I honestly was hoping and praying with her being so destroyed emotionally that Edward was able to break through and still try to keep her safe. I was all for it. I'm such a crazy, hopeless romantic :oops:

nostalgicmiss
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by nostalgicmiss »

It was understandable, she had lost the one thing that she felt she existed for. In the months they had together, Edward had become Bella's entire world, everything she had thought of for the future included him and now it was all gone. That would make anyone feel empty. I'm sure the numbness helped a little to ease the pain, we all have our ways of coping. I felt so bad for her, she was a shell of her former self.

No I think that it would have been harder for her to cope if she had left. Although there are so many memories for her in Forks, I think it's the one thing that keeps her going, leaving would just rip another part of her, i don't think she would ever get over it.

Jessica is very self involved, I think it was easier for Bella to spend time with her because Jessica wouldn't notice her silence so much. Jessica could fill in silences talking.

My first thought was that it was Edward but as she continued I came to the realization that she was imagining it. He would never let her put herself in such a compromising situation. I think that her explanation was understandable, she missed him so desperately.
[img]http://www.elkevents.com/love.jpg[/img]
My fanfiction Story, I always wondered about Alice, she's one of my favorite characters.<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4188861/1/Throught_the_Eyes_of_Alice_Cullen">Through the Eyes of Alice Cullen</a>
<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4256119/1/Darkest_Night"> Darkest Night, Alice Fan Fic </a>

sara.cullen
Settled in Forks

=]

Post by sara.cullen »

Not at all, but it still made me cry!

Absolutely not. She fell in love, and there's no turning back. I know if it were me, I would just as soon shoot myself as give up any scraps of the memory of him, and although Charlie's heart was in the right place, I feel as if it would've been a pointless attempt.

I think Bella chose Jess over her other friends because she was the first person that came to mind. All she (Bella) wants to do, really, is get Charlie off her back--FAST. I honestly don't think she put too much thought into her choices--more, like, "okay... how do I get through today with THIS...?"

I knew it wasn't really his voice, but I still hoped.

As far as the danger, I was right behind her on this one, smiling and trying to help her (why yes, a fictional character!) come up with ideas. *gigglesnort* I'm not crazy, I swear...
<center>
Edward Freaks Anonymous.<br>
We can help. Not really. But who needs a life, anyway? :)