Chapter Three: The End

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
alsha
Wandering Through Town

Post by alsha » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:20 am

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
it took me by surprise because Edward loves Bella too much but because he DOES love her too much he left her.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
yeah

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
yeah it definatelly did i was so crying on that chapter!! but i was hopping he would just be weak enough and come back to her. i believed him every word that he said.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
i don't know it was a weird mix of feelings.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the Months pages.
it was kind of known it was expectable too.

admirallily
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: In a big white house in the forest by the river. They say vampires live here.

Re: Chapter Three: The End

Post by admirallily » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:58 pm

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

A: Yes. Very much. I tried to deny it but my own personal experience only a year or so before was eerily similar. Thankfully I hadn't lost true love, just a first boyfriend that turned out wasn't the one anyway, and he didn't have Edward's reasoning but he suddenly and inexplicably started backing off a few days before he called it quits. I felt similar to what Bella had though now I can see how easy I had it.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

A: Yep. But in my case it really was for the best to let it go.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

A: He was very convincing. I certainly hoped he'd come back but didn't really expect it. I think SM wrote this just amazing because I really took the journey with Bella, every emotion, every step. It was like I WAS her in those pages.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.

A: Before I knew it was Sam I was still hoping Edward had come back.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the 'Months' pages.

A: Heh, at first I thought it was an error. I caught on the next second and I found it pure brilliance. I marveled over it for a few minutes before I could actually start reading again. Genius writing.
[img]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/admirallily/17AgainQuotebyAL.gif[/img]
Hee! I crack up every time I see that clip!

BiteMeNowCullen
Settled in Forks

Post by BiteMeNowCullen » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:33 pm

I Had a feeling that it was comming, but it still hit me hard when it happened. i actually had to set down the book because i was so upset. my mom kind of freaked out when i came out of my room because i was crying.

Not really but then again, I've never been in a relationship that really ment a lot to me.

All through the part where Edward was saying goodbye, i kept hoping that he would just stop and say something like "April Fools!" but i knew that he wouldn't which is probably why i cried.

I wasnt' completely sure about him. but i wasn't paying to much attention to him because i was still hoping for Edward to come back.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the Months pages.
It was probabaly sadder than Edward actually leaving. After i was sure that he was actually gone, i was thinking that he couldn't actually be gone that long right *tear* to sum it all up I Cried Again.
I Love Edward Cullen
Oh I'm sorry
Does it bother you that I'm in love with a Fictional Vampire

Visitor1
Settled in Forks

Post by Visitor1 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:08 pm

[quote="Alphie"][b]Questions prepared by Cocoa[/b]

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise? [/quote]
I knew it was coming from the end of Twilight, and certainly after what happened at the birthday party. Edward had been promising he would do this, explaining why he would leave, since he first told Bella he loved her -- it was pretty plain that he would, at some point, probably leave;

[quote="Alphie"][b]Questions prepared by Cocoa[/b]2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away? [/quote]
Never in that way

[quote="Alphie"][b]Questions prepared by Cocoa[/b] 3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did? [/quote]
I never believed it and couldn't believe Bella would believe it, especially so quickly and completely. I mean, she had done the EXACT SAME THING to Charlie just a couple of months earlier -- for the exact same reason. She'd told him she was leaving, she'd lied about the reasons, then she'd slipped in the final, really hurtful "low blow" because she could "see that he wasn't going to let her go." And why did she do it? To try to make him safe. I couldn't figure how, after all the times Edward had gone on and on about how he thought he would be strong enough to leave her if it was safer for her, how he felt he put her in too much danger, he would never "damn you to an eternity of night" and that he loved her more than his own life and his own happiness -- and after having to do the same thing herself to try to make her father safe -- that she didn't see this for exactly what it was. But, I also understand what it's like to feel inadequate and not as good as other people, so to a certain extent, I can understand where she was coming from. Still, as Edward said, to believe it so easily ...

[quote="Alphie"][b]Questions prepared by Cocoa[/b]4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.[/quote] Didn't really pay much attention to him, although did figure he'd figure in the story later on.

[quote="Alphie"][b]Questions prepared by Cocoa[/b]5. Describe your reaction as you read the 'Months' pages.[/quote]
I thought that was a very effective way to indicate how Bella's life was for the next few months. I reached me.

Visitor1
Settled in Forks

Post by Visitor1 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:10 pm

I knew it was coming from the end of Twilight, and certainly after what happened at the birthday party. Edward had been promising he would do this, explaining why he would leave, since he first told Bella he loved her -- it was pretty plain that he would, at some point, probably leave;

Never in that way

I never believed it and couldn't believe Bella would believe it, especially so quickly and completely. I mean, she had done the EXACT SAME THING to Charlie just a couple of months earlier -- for the exact same reason. She'd told him she was leaving, she'd lied about the reasons, then she'd slipped in the final, really hurtful "low blow" because she could "see that he wasn't going to let her go." And why did she do it? To try to make him safe. I couldn't figure how, after all the times Edward had gone on and on about how he thought he would be strong enough to leave her if it was safer for her, how he felt he put her in too much danger, he would never "damn you to an eternity of night" and that he loved her more than his own life and his own happiness -- and after having to do the same thing herself to try to make her father safe -- that she didn't see this for exactly what it was. But, I also understand what it's like to feel inadequate and not as good as other people, so to a certain extent, I can understand where she was coming from. Still, as Edward said, to believe it so easily ...

Didn't really pay much attention to him, although did figure he'd figure in the story later on.

I thought that was a very effective way to indicate how Bella's life was for the next few months. I reached me.

mizzellieo4
Settled in Forks

Post by mizzellieo4 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:36 pm

Yeah, i thought that something was up and that it wasn't as Bella expected and they weren't leaving together, i thought it was something with edward leaving or not being able to be with her because I dont think if Edward wanted to leave with Bella he would have acted so strangely. I can't exactly tell you when I knew what was coming.. probably the second day that Edward wasn't talking to Bella.

I haven't personally felt that no. But i can definately try to understand how it would feel.

I did believe Edward. I didn't think he would come back to her. After Edward promised that it would be as if he never existed, and that she would never see him again. That felt extremely real. I also didn't think that Edward would break his promises... but I'm ecstatic that he did.

I really didn't think anything special of him. I just thought he was trying to help Charlie find Bella, I never thought he would become of any importance.

Ah.. I don't even know what i was really thinking when I read those pages... I wasn't thinking that the whole thing was even be real. I guess when I read those I realized Bella had been not even really living... just there.

i love twilight
Wandering Through Town

Post by i love twilight » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:55 am

Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

I didn't have a idea that this was going to happen in Twilight they seemed so happy.When Edward defended her from Jasper I kind of knew that Edward wasn't going to take that for granted and he was going to react roughly afterwards.

Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

I haven't experienced that yet but by the description of the book I really get and idea, and it's not pretty. :cry:

Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

I wasn't sure, I kind of thought it was real in some way by the persuasion in his voice but then realized that he loved her too much to really wish to leave away from her.

When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.

At first I was like yes they found her but after that I was like what part does Sam have that makes him important.

Describe your reaction as you read the 'Months' pages

I was kind of sad for Bella because Edward was just not arriving IT WAS DRIVING ME CRAZY to think he would leave her alone for so long. :cry:

ForksVampGirl
Wandering Through Town

Post by ForksVampGirl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:19 pm

Yes, I knew things were going to go wrong when Edward came back to take Bella home after Carlisle had fixed her arm on her birthday - and Bella saw that there was something remote and distant in Edward's eyes...and it didn't go away as he became more distant during the next few days. I felt impending doom, definitely.

Yes, I have...like you feel that that person's the best thing that's ever happened to you, you can't imagine your life without them, so you don't want them to walk out of your life.

Unfortunately, his speech did grasp reality for you - I felt like somebody had punched me in my stomach, and like Bella, I also had trouble breathing. I hoped, rather than expected, him to run back to her. I couldn't believe him as readily as Bella did, (although if I were in her position, maybe I would've because I've got similar self-worth issues). With Bella and Edward, I simply couldn't believe that Edward had suddenly stopped loving her and didn't want her anymore. I had a feeling he was just saying all this to keep her safe from them, but I couldn't believe he was actually leaving her.

I didn't like him; I felt suspicious of him, especially because he seemed to know too much. I didn't realize what he was at that point; I just assumed he was a forest ranger or something. Although when he brought her to Charlie, I started thinking he was OK.

I could so relate to that because when you've broken up with someone or when you go through something that traumatic, it really does feel as if time stands still, or as if time's moving forward, but there's nothing but emptiness during those days, like the blank pages. It completely and accurately described the zombie-like, nothingness Bella was feeling at the time, and it made me feel that same emptiness that Bella felt. I was thoroughly impressed by Stephenie's novelty in coming up with the "months" pages; it was pure genius on her part (which, of course, she is)!
"He called you pretty...that's practically an insult, the way you look right now. You're much more than beautiful." - Edward Cullen

"I am Switzerland. I refuse to be affected by territorial disputes between mythical creatures." - Bella Swan

fantasia
Learning to Love Green

Post by fantasia » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:32 pm

I definitely did feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter. The second Edward started acting indifferent and distant, I knew something was up. I wasn't sure at first if he would end it, but I had a pretty good feeling he was going to do something along those lines.

I wouldn't say it was anywhere near to as strong as her desire, but somewhat.

3. Edward's speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

I knew that it wasn't really the end for them, but it broke my heart none-the-less. I cried for the first time reading a book! UGH!! lol. As much as I hate to say it, I did believe it. I didn't even take the time to think to myself about what could have been the real reason behind it, I was too upset :P I guess you could say I believed him as readily as Bella did, since I know she never really let go of him.

When she wrote about the sniffing Bella heard, and then Sam appeared, I instantly tied the two together. I almost felt as if he was a bad guy then, I knew he knew more about the situation at hand than he was letting on...and it made me a bit uneasy.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "Months" pages.

At first I thought maybe there was a mistake with the book, and I had gotten a bad copy LOL. Then I finally got it (I'm REALLY slow) and it made me feel really empty and sad. I've been through a couple harsh breakups before, and all I could think of was how much pain she would have been in.

edwardaddicted93
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by edwardaddicted93 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:50 am

I knew something bad was going to happen. I started to sense it right after the party, how Edward was being so distant. I knew he was thinking about doing something.

No, I can't say that I have.

I couldn't believe what he was saying. I was astonished and extremely upset. I was really hoping he'd go back to her and say he was lying that he just wanted her to be safe. I didn't really believe him because I mean as Edward had said before, Bella was his life.

I didn't really understand Sam's presense until I finished reading the book and found out he was a werewolf. I understood what Bella was saying about how she heard a large noise like an animal in the trees.

I felt so bad, like Bella's life was wasting away without Edward. I was still so upset that he left her that seeing her almost unable to function without him made it worse.