Chapter Two- Stitches

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
leiahlaloa
Learning to Love Green
Location: Keepin' it low key... laying around in my own meadow....erm riverbank

Re: Chapter Two- Stitches

Post by leiahlaloa »

Sidebar: I wanted to answer these questions without looking at anyone else's answers. It occured to me today to comment on this chapter here, while I was still in bed this morning. lol

1. Were you surprised by how spiritual Carlilse is?
I was surprised, but just by his seeming adamancy. He gave perfectly good arguments as to why he believes there could be a higher power. It kind of fit too, with Carlisle's building personality.

2. What did you think about the information revealed about Edward's mother?
It gave me a clearer idea of Edward's roots and personality. I'm sure that Edward's own protectiveness stems from his mother's protectiveness. It's genetic. And the eyes... I don't know why, but I got a clear picture of Edward once I knew he had green eyes at one time.

3. When the kiss happened, did you have any ideas about what was to come?
Truthfully, I had sensed that a major upset was about to happen when everything seemed to be all "tralala" at the beginning. The book wouldn't have been four pages long if there hadn't been a conflict. That and my friend Ashlee had already told me I was bound to be weeping by the fourth chapter. (PS: I didn't cry. Because I was expecting the end of fairytale land, it wasn't as shocking.)
"Speak--remind me that you are a rational creature." --My other vampire, Constantine. (Sunshine by Robin McKinley)

Find all my Twilight writings on my profile page here:
http://www.fanfiction.net/~leiahlaloa
spamelo
Settled in Forks

chapter 2 discussion

Post by spamelo »

Well, I was sort of surprised, but not quite. I mean, it's a vampire that believes in heaven and hell, go figure. But then again, Carlisle isn't like other vampires. He gave up human blood didn't he? I don't know exactly how to put this in words....uhm.....a probable reason why he gave up human blood might be linked to God, or something. Like he's trying to escape damnation, i guess.

It gives a lot of reason behidn Edward's protectivness of Bella, as well as his tendency to give up all of himself to make her happy. It's good to understand Edward's background. Maybe this will play a role in future books? Who knows?

I sensed some foreshadowing when Bella started linking the kiss to hers and Edward's last kiss before he went off to lead James away. I was thinking that Edward might take off to Alaska again (obviously I was wrong, but I was right about him taking off.....sort off). It definately had that *last kiss we'll ever have* kind of feel. *sigh*

Can someone answer this question as a PM to me?
What did Alice give Bella? I probably skipped it while I was reading, but while I was searching chapter two, I couldn't find what it was. Can someone help me out?
*cullens & converse
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *cullens & converse »

Not really, no...after Carlisle's old cross in the first book, you kind of expect that he would be, just it wasn't really explained up until now.

It leaves more mystery, because it says that it seems like Edward's mother knew something about Carlisle. Also,it's very good to know that Edward hadn't died first because there would've been no Twilight/NM! Also, it seems strange that his mother cared so much about him, but wanted him to essentially live "without" her, because she knew she was going to die, but she wanted Edward to be saved.

It foreshadows that something bad is coming...but I didn't personally know what. I just knew that it was bad, and didn't WANT it to come.
[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/cullens_converse/ssg/pippa.png[/img]
^Thank you Saffy (t1gr), my wonderful secret santa, for the set! It's gorgeous, thank you!!

[url=http://z7.invisionfree.com/vesperarium/index.php?showtopic=210][img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/cullens_converse/animfinalcopy.gif[/img][/url]
<3GOPATRIOTS
C&#9829;Kitsune
Settled in Forks
Location: In my sketchbook of Wonderment and puffy pink clouds!

Post by C&#9829;Kitsune »

A. Not really considering his daddy was a Minister. It was pretty cool though! I always thought Vampires didn't care...>_>

Oh this part nearly made me cry! I am a sucker for Parents like Edwards! It's a very emotional part of the story...I know understand why Edward is so strong!

I am a bad girl... I don't mind spoilers and I was so anxious about the book that I sort of skipped ahead. I saw many pages with Jacob...but not many with Edward...that made me worry.

I liked the last line of that Chapter...it made me want to cry. Heck this entire book made me want to throw it against the wall, then suddenly pick it up, pet it softly and continue reading it! D:
[img]http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/947/bathtiiimesigsrc7.jpg[/img]
My art site: www.christianKitsune.deviantart.com :D
HopelesslyDevotedtoEdward
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by HopelesslyDevotedtoEdward »

Not really. His father had been a pastor. He was the vampire to influence the legend of Stregoni Benefici. He was also came up one his own with the idea of killing animals instead of innocent humans. It wasn't much of a surprise that his compassion and his spiritualism went together.

It was shocking that she almost seemed as if to know Carlisle's secret. She obviously loved her son very much and worried about his sickness. And I thought it was sweet that Carlisle mentioned the fact that Edward and his mother had the same green eyes :)

sort of. I had read through the names of the chapters before I actually started the book (I'm weird like that I guess hehe) so when I saw chapter 3 was called "The End" I was like uh oh that's not good...And when Bella mentioned the "painful edge" of the kiss that was similar to the one she had experienced when being hunted by James, I was very worried about what would happen in the next chapter :(
Team Edward!
*Because only a vampire can love you forever*
Member of the [color=cyan]COCL[/color]
[b][color=red]Officially converted to Cullenism![/color][/b]
Tamora
Learning to Love Green
Location: snuggling with Alice (can't help it - I have a crush)

Post by Tamora »

Not really, actually. I figured for quite a while that religion was eventually going to play a role somehow, whether mentioned in passing or a whole motif-thing. It appears to be both, in my own opinion.
The first mention of spirituality amongst the Cullens was not quite as forthright as I would expect: in Twilight, Bella sees an elegant wooden cross on the wall, and she goes all "Whabahuh?" And, of course, his father was a minister. He tried to kill himself for the bloodlust and thirst he had, and I don't think that was purely a matter of his own decency. When we learn of his early life in Twilight, it's riddled with religious references.

Fascinating. My mind tends to go a million milkes a second, so I was immediately reevaluating Edwards entire character to fit his clearly strong relationship with his parents in. It makes sense that he has such a strong tie with Carlisle, especially considering how he lost his parents and his humanity at the same time, but he still keeps a distance from Carlisle that I detected throughout the book...

Well he was acting strange this whole chapter, and I could tell, as I was trying to remain a third party (which is very difficult for me), that he was going to pull some sort of crap. Didn't know what, but some sort of not-good thing. Heck, even reading the opening quote in this book and having the first chapter end on such an adreneline-riddled note, you can tell that it's going to deal with some darker themes than it's predecessor.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c386/CallMeTamTamAndYouDIE/Twilight/darkened.jpg[/img]
[size=117][url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoH_twilight/]My Brand of Heroin: A Twilight Fan Group[/url][/size]
beautiful_eyes07
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by beautiful_eyes07 »

I was a little surprised at first, but Carlilse represents hope. He is the strong one who holds the whole Cullen family together. If he doesn't have hope, no one should.

I thought she knew. I was a little mad at her for wanting her son to become a vampire(it's the Edward in me, I swear!). That was when I was still anti-vampire Bella. But know I'm pro-vampire Bella, and well, to be honest, I haven't thought about Edward's mother.

An extra birthday treat for Bella. Haha. I knew they weren't going all the way, but I liked how Edward put more into it and wasn't as cautious.
[b][i]Love is irrational.[/b][/i]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/KloRoxMySoxes/Icons/Books/muttstwi13.png[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/KloRoxMySoxes/Icons/Books/muttstwi14.png[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/KloRoxMySoxes/Icons/Books/muttstwi15.png[/img]
I love analogies!
TougherThanThat
Learning to Love Green

Post by TougherThanThat »

1. On Carlisle's spirituality:
On my first reading of New Moon, I had just finished rereading Eldest. Now, basically Mr. Paolini and Ms. Meyer had the same type of situation going on, only in Eldest, Elves were the supernatural beings of choice.
I bring this up to show the cool juxtaposition: Paolini Vegetarians are in the end, basically the Fair Folk, the good guys. But they are only vegetarians because they don't believe in any god or heaven, thus killing any animal for food is the ultimate crime to them.
Our Cullens are basically bad guys, (Edward said it not me) yet they choose to be vegetarians not because of the possibilty of humans being able to go on to heaven. So my reaction was not so much surprise as, Wow! Carlisle is so cool.
2. The information on Edward's mother

She must be where Edwards specialty comes from. Seriously, we know that his mind-reading ability is special for even a vampire, and I think he must have gotten his beginnings from her. She was able to see to see that Carlisle was something extra even when she was feverish on her deathbed even when Carlisle was trrying to be descreet. I think this means she must have have had a talent in *reading people* too.

3 The Kiss
Well, honestly, at the time, it gave me a bad feeling, as did Bella's ealier dream, but I definately wasn't prepared for Edward to up and LEAVE.
redhead6791
Wandering Through Town

Post by redhead6791 »

Yes and no...I didn't really think that vampires would really have spiritual beliefs, but on the other hand, I am not suprised because i would believe the same thing.

It was very suprising...indeed.

Something big...but not as big as what did happen!
"Before you, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars - points of light and reason...and then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn't see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason for anything."
amoredward
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by amoredward »

1. Were you surprised by how spiritual Carlisle is?

Heh heh. I am always in awe of that man! He is just simply amazing. There are no words that could describe how much I love him so! So, to answer the question, somewhat--but then I thought about it and wasn't surprised!

I loved reading about Edward's mother. I wish she could have lived, because I think that she sounds amazing.

The kiss did make me a little nervous. I mean, at the end of the chapter it referenced when he left Bella because of James. That had the hairs on the back of my neck starting to rise up.
[img]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/MMarieB_bucket/winning%20bet%20banners/amoredwards.gif[/img]

[img]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x170/amoredward/Twilight%20Banner%20and%20Other/theairsun.jpg[/img]

Lovely janner (Jake-banner, for all you silly coneheads!) by LovesTwilightx3!!!