Preface

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
jadoretoi
Ignoring Renee's E-mails

Post by jadoretoi »

1) Your first impressions of this section. What were they?
My exact words i said outloud after i read it were "Oh...no..." So, worried.

2) What did you think brought Bella to this place? Where, exactly, did you think they were?
I had no idea.

3) Whom did you assume the 'something bloodthirsty' waiting 'in the wings' referred to?
I thought it meant that Victoria was hiding somewhere.

4) Did you know right away that she was trying to save Edward?
Yes, i did.

5) Be honest, did you think Bella would fall?
Oh, oh course! =]
<center>[size=75]Something holds me down and makes me act a way I can't explain; even now I can feel it coming over me, choking me, as I'm falling behind. You say you know me, but you have no clue what my dreams could show you.[/size]
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/Bl0ndest_Brunette_002/Vesperarium/gallery%20stuffz/vespgeneralxw8.gif[/img]
[blinkie made by Cornie]
[b][url=http://z7.invisionfree.com/vesperarium/index.php?showtopic=161&hl=]teh gallery[/url][/b]

Mallie
Giving Bella a Bandaid...again
Location: Following Edward in his many forms - book, internet, and movie

Post by Mallie »

I thought that this would definitely be the climax of the novel, the make or break section, just like Twilight, the bit which would probably scare the s**t out of me and make me read even faster than I already was. Saying that, I thought it was ridiculously well written and I was anxious as to what would happen at the end

2) What did you think brought Bella to this place? Where, exactly, did you think they were?

I knew they were no where near Forks (I mean, a crowd of that size?) and I got the impression of a kind of of medieval/European city but beyond that.. I thought that Edward had brought her there, or definitely something to do with the Cullens at least

3) Whom did you assume the 'something bloodthirsty' waiting 'in the wings' referred to?

As everyone else has said, Vampires, I knew it was vampires.. evil vampires sure but definitely vampires.. though I'll admit I thought it was one we'd already come across, like Victoria

Nope, considering at this point I still thought Edward was particularly infallible. Then again, I did think that there was something he had to know which would affect everything

In absolute honesty, yes, I really did think she would fall. Just taking into account her klutziness and her tendency to trip in certain moments... yeah I really did think she would fall. But when I read the scene later on in the book.. while worried she would fall, the copious amounts of people gave me a thought of otherwise
[url=http://www.myspace.com/fireandicepodcast][img]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/Linding28/fireandicebanner.jpg[/img][/url]
We're also on iTunes - just search for 'Fire and Ice' or 'Twilight Podcast' :D
[url=http://www.destinysgateway.com][img]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8333/dgrfaki8.gif[/img][/url]

Rosalie

Post by Rosalie »

I thought it was a pretty kickin' way to start off the book I'd been anticipating for nearly a year. It was incredibly gripping, albeit short, and left me eager to reach that point in the actual novel.

I knew it had to revolve around something dangerous, though I'll honestly admit I knew nothing apart from that.

Vampires. I ruled out Victoria almost immediately--for some reason I didn't think she'd have that big of a roll in this book. "In the wings" I perceived as "in the alleyways," as all I got from her location was that she was in a plaza of some sort.

Yes, but I had no idea what she'd be needing to save him from.

Surprisingly, no. I think that her mind was so set on getting to Edward in time that it completely ruled out her wonted clumsiness.

[[TheNewCancer]]
Settled in Forks

Post by [[TheNewCancer]] »

Huh?

I had absolutely no clue.

I think it meant if she died, she would be with Edward, because if she failed this, she would die.

No, to be honest, I was so lost, I had no freakin' clue what was going on.

Of course. I mean, we are talking about Bella here, aren't we?

Isabella Cullen

Post by Isabella Cullen »

A pit opening in the bottom of my stomach. I didn't understand what could possibly be happening that Bella would be running so hard for her life for.

The need to save something precious to her. Someplace with lots of sun. I considered Phoenix, but then the question of where her mother might be slipped into my thoughts as well.

The only other possibility I could think of at the time was that Victoria had done something to hurt someone close to her. Bloodthirsty really isn't a word you use to describe a human, malice intent or not. >_>

Obviously. Bella wouldn't be fighting that hard for anyone else. No, it was clear then that it was Edward. He is the only one she would see giving her life up completely for if anything bad were to happen to him. Anyone else she would grieve for, but she would live on. If anything happened to Edward, she would automatically give up any reason to live. There is no life in Bella without Edward.

I thought she might stumble. But not fall. Because in this instance, falling would mean failure and suffering for many. That's something that she would not allow.

YoursTruly
Settled in Forks

Post by YoursTruly »

I was scared. Something had happened that had put Edward in danger; danger of losing his very life, maybe! And everything somehow depended on Bella running and making it somewhere on time... it tempted me to skip ahead, but I didn't let myself.

I figured that Edward and Alice were involved; Alice was directly mentioned, and who else would they risk their lives for?

Well, at bloodthirsty I automatically assumed it was a group of vampires, and probably a bit less nice than the Cullens. As far as "in the wings" I wasn't quite sure how to take that phrase, I imagined them watching from some alleys or something.

Yes. When I opened the book, he was the one on my mind the most; I was craving him like mad. So I subconciously assumed that Bella was talking about him, her saying that this was more important than her life, and that she would rather die than fail at this sort of encouraged that belief.

*sigh* Yes, yes, I know that Stephenie would never let Edward die... but... I was pretty much waiting for it. I mean, it's Bella, and Bella is going to fall... it's just natural. I was expecting her to fall, and then for something terrible to happen, but somehow Edward and she still lived.
My fall will be for you
My love will be in you
If you be the one to
Cut me I'll bleed forever

~Ghost Love Score by Nightwish

"You don't care if I'm a monster? If I'm not human?"
"No."

sunnier
Settled in Forks

Post by sunnier »

I was thinking, of course Bella can't die, and Edward can't either, like in Twilight they will both live. I was slightly intrigued and I couldn't wait to figure out what in the world was going on.

I had no idea how she got there, though I was pretty sure vampires were involved, and after looking that the chapter names, I had myself convinced that it was Paris since there is a chapter titled "Paris" but in actuality, it was only the Paris from Romeo and Juliet, so I was way wrong.

I thought it was some new evil vampire that was holding Edward hostage and was going to kill him.

As my above answer says, yes, I had no idea how she was going to save Edward is he was waiting in the clutches of an evil vampire, but I was fairly certain it was him that she was racing for.

that thought never actually went through my mind, or if it did it didn't really register, I guess now looking back if I had thought about it I would have guessed yes just because that seems to be what she always does in important situations.

Tamora
Learning to Love Green
Location: snuggling with Alice (can't help it - I have a crush)

Post by Tamora »

My eyes flew open and I kept trying to skim over it, and failing mioserably. I was just too... ahhh! I was panicking already. Damn Stephanie Meyer and her damn involving writing...

While they were running, I kept picturing different sort of 'backdrops' flashing by. Cities, suburbs, forests... I think that San Francisco, Nw York, Italy and Scotland came to mind. Don't ask why - I have no clue.

Actually, the first thing that came to mind was Victoria, but then I was like, "No, wait, there's a whole world of vampires out there! It could be anyone! Ah! Run!!!"

Nope. i wasn't thinking "what/who is it???" I was just thinking "Make it! Make it! Run!!!"

It wasn't an option. Already I was too invested in the story to allow that to be an option... I mean, it coulda happened, I just was sort of in her mindset, where that's not a possibility... does that make sense?
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c386/CallMeTamTamAndYouDIE/Twilight/darkened.jpg[/img]
[size=117][url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoH_twilight/]My Brand of Heroin: A Twilight Fan Group[/url][/size]

*cullens & converse
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *cullens & converse »

I was a little confused, with the whole thing about Bella saying that Alice had said they'd die there...I had no clue what she was talking about, but I guess that's sort of the point of a preface, it tells you something you'll find out about...so, my general impression was that something bad was going to happen later in the book, AFTER the major horrible thing in NM that I'm not going to mention if anyone hasn't gotten to that chapter yet but has read the preface... :wink:

I didn't know where exactly they were, I just knew it was NOT in Forks. :P What brought here there is self -explanatory- Edward.

It says that she's GLAD that the something bloodthirsty was waiting for her, so I thought that she was going to become a vampire. (I had read a few spoilers, but hadn't found out if she was going to be or not) That would explain why she'd be glad, but unfortunately it wasn't. :( :wink:

No, it seemed more like she was the one that needed saving after the whole thing about Alice saying they'd die...I didn't really pay attention to the fact that she was late, and risking her life, so I was definitely wrong! :oops:

She seemed so calm, yet you could tell that she was way extremely scared to be doing whatever she was doing, so I didn't think she would...she came to terms with the fact that SHE believed she was too late, so I think she may have actually slowed down so she could stop herself from any further harm, physically or otherwise.
[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/cullens_converse/ssg/pippa.png[/img]
^Thank you Saffy (t1gr), my wonderful secret santa, for the set! It's gorgeous, thank you!!

[url=http://z7.invisionfree.com/vesperarium/index.php?showtopic=210][img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/cullens_converse/animfinalcopy.gif[/img][/url]
<3GOPATRIOTS

slimgoodi17
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by slimgoodi17 »

1. Your first impressions of this section. What were they?

Since the prefaces always confuse me, that's just what they did. I was utterly confused. But I did makes some things out. They were wrong. I had thought the "enemies" were werewolves, which had me curious: Why would Bella call them her own enemies?

2.What did you think brought Bella to this place? Where, exactly, did you think they were?

I had no idea what brought Bella there. I figured she was trying to save Alice's life. I had absolutely NO idea where they were. The only idea that crosses my mind was maybe LA Push

3. Whom did you assume the 'something bloodthirsty' waiting 'in the wings' referred to?

Werewolves

4.Did you know right away that she was trying to save Edward?

Nope, thought it was Alice

5.Be honest, did you think Bella would fall?

I always expect Bella to fall :roll:
I'm sorry. I stole an image and was informed of it. Now I am not allowed to have a signature.