Chapter Twenty - Four: Vote

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
nostalgicmiss
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by nostalgicmiss »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?
Absolutely, Bella had bought the "Blackest blasphemy" hook, line and sinker. She thought he didn't want her, she was so convinced that he was too good for her that she believed it immediately. I love that she realizes he loves her in that moment, because it really does make sense, it would be a perfectly good reason why she was hearing the voices.

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice?
I understand why Edward is so hesitant and you can't be mad at him for it. Rosalie, is actually being sweet in this moment, Bella is probably unsure of Rosalie's explanation but I think it was a truly genuine moment for Rose. I completely agree with Carlisle, it is the only logical choice. They love each other too honestly to not be equals.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?
Yes I was amazed and a little upset at Bella for freaking out. I can understand why she was so resistant, coming from a broken home can really mess with you intuition on things like that, and I know shes worried about what people might think, especially Renee. But I still can't understand why she would be so willing to spend eternity with the guy but be completely hesitant about marrying him, it's a little irrational and illogical.

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse - do you think Bella should marry Edward? Do you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or do you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?
I think she should marry Edward and become immortal as soon as feasible. I don't understand the resistance!!!

5. If Bella were to become a vampire, how would you feel if Edward was the one to change her? How would you feel if someone else changed her?
I think Edward should be the one to change her but if he doesn't and Carlisle does I think it will be just as good. Carlisle has changed everyone in the family so it really will be likes she's one of them.
I really do think it would be more romantic if it was Edward though. :oops:
[img]http://www.elkevents.com/love.jpg[/img]
My fanfiction Story, I always wondered about Alice, she's one of my favorite characters.<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4188861/1/Throught_the_Eyes_of_Alice_Cullen">Through the Eyes of Alice Cullen</a>
<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4256119/1/Darkest_Night"> Darkest Night, Alice Fan Fic </a>

Alellie
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Alellie »

1. What did you think of Bella's epiphany? Do you think she was justified in believing that Edward didn't love her and that the fact that he really did stunned her?

Hey, if you believe yourself to be a average-looking girl, then you're just either being modest or that's the truth. But if you're just a regular ol' human standing next to the living definition of 'god' itself, then that's a whole different story. Bella thought of herself to be an unworthy looking girl compared to the Cullens and having an Adonis say that he loves you right after breaking up with you, then you have every right to say, "Holy Waffles! You're Kidding, right?"

And as for Bella's epiphany, she should've had that epiphany chapters ago! But that wouldn't be really entertaining, now would it?

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's reasoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only logical choice?

The vote was pretty self-explanatory to me. The rest of the Cullens except Rose and Edward agree with Bella's change. Nothing much about it actually brings anything out from me. Except I was a bit relieved on the agreement with Bella being turned into a vampire and all so she can have her happy ending with Edward. But you really never know in Breaking Dawn, if that's what's going to happen.

As for Edward, he has every right to get angry with the decisions his family his making. But he didn't have the right to break Emmett's plasma TV in the process. Poor custom-made plasma TV. Let's have a moment in silence.

Er...anyways, about Rosalie's vote. I guess that after hearing her story in Eclipse, I understand her reasoning. You get to miss out the wonders of having a soul in exchange for immortality. That's a big price to pay. And she didn't get to have a choice on choosing between mortality and immortality either. But I think that it's good that Emmett's there to even out the favors.

And yes, I agree with Carlisle for it on being the only logical choice. I don't think I'd want to fight the Volturi either once they found out that their progeny's still a bag of blood and organs...and whatever else we have in our system.

3. Were you as stunned as Bella was when Edward asked her to marry him? How do you feel about Bella's reasons for saying no to him?

I wasn't stunned at all. In fact, I was kind of expecting it considering that Edward lived during the 1900's era. Back then, when you were 17, chances are, you'd probably be already married.

In my opinion, Bella had a really unimportant reason for her denial. I mean, if you were already giving the choice of having immortality and the other price you'd had to pay was marrying your one true love, I'd accept the proposal without blinking. You're facing eternal life, in exchange, you marry your beloved, but you deny it because you're embarrassed about the town gossip and the tongue-lashing you're going to get from you're parents. Pretty much self-explanatory.

But I get her reasons. After all, they just reconciled and Bella needs more time. Well at least until Eclipse.

4. At this point in the series - ignoring what you know from Eclipse - do you think Bella should marry Edward? Do you think she should become a vampire as soon as possible? Or do you think she should stay mortal for a while longer?

As soon as possible. I have my mom's car keys with me and I can drive them to Las Vegas right now, get them hitched, have Bella turned, move out of Forks, and laugh at Jake's face.

Kidding. Bella should have more time staying mortal. She has werewolf problems to deal with right now.

5. If Bella were to become a vampire, how would you feel if Edward was the one to change her? How would you feel if someone else changed her?

I'd think that it'd be very special if Edward changed her. As Bella said (or Stephenie wrote), she'd rather much have Edward's venom in her bloodstream. It's like a hickey. You suck on someone's neck really hard and you get an engravement that you belong to your...er...'sucker'.

And if someone else changed her then I don't really care. But it'd be less romantic. Ah, young love with screaming and in pain for approximately three days. Romantic, no?
<center>[img]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd201/mysticlings/l_6fc9d6b7c08c747b63d469681d559f7f.jpg[/img]</center>

emmettmyficlover
Wandering Through Town
Location: Right next to Jasper...Alice stop looking at me like that! GOSH!

Post by emmettmyficlover »

I thought she had lost it for a moment, really. How could she believe that Edward did not love her? HELLO!!!!!! He said 'i love you, bella' so many frikkin times! She was a little stunned i agree but her heart told her that he did but her mind did not. Thats what she needs to trust. Her heart and NOT her mind.

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's resoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only loigical choice?

I thought that the vote went tremendously well! Carlisle is right. Its the only logical choice. She wants to become a vampire so she can stay with them forever. Isnt that a good enough reason? I understood Edward completely and I really dont care about Rosalie. Shes just...ehhh. I also loved Emmett's answer! "HELL YES!"

No not at all. I would have been like "CHYAHHHH!" Now Bells had some good reasoning but i am glad that they are that in love!

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES. YES, YES, YES, YES. Marry and become a Vamp. Thats all that there is to say.

I would the most happy joy ever! Edward needs to change her! NO ONE ELSE! Her lover is the one who should do it and if someone else did i would write a complaint to Stephenie Meyer. Its all on Edward!
[size=75]My favorite Cullen would have to be Jasper! Jasper is just so mysterious which makes him attractive. He is close to Edward on this but Edward has nothing on Jasper!

Where would I bake with Jasper? In a cave behind Nigara Falls. While the water is poaring making a background noise
♥♥♥♥[/size][url=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][img]http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/923/mybanner4851cd35b3811lp8.jpg[/img][/url]

denise!
Settled in Forks

Post by denise! »

i really loved Bella's epiphany, i was so glad she finally saw the light. as a reader, i think she was crazy for thinking Edward didn't love her because to me that could never happen. when Edward left and said all those things i knew he was just saying it to protect Bella, i always believed he never stopped loving her. but as a human and a teenage girl i can totally understand the reasoning going on in her head considering i've felt the same way before. sometimes you just believe your'e not good enough for someone, no matter what they say. since she believed that for so long, the fact that he really did truly love her of course must have stunned her, her complete reasoning behind why he left and was now back had changed drastically.

2. How did you feel about the way the vote went? Did you understand Edward's resoning? What about Rosalie's? Do you agree with Carlisle that it's the only loigical choice?
i think the vote went really well, loved Emmett and his "hell yes". i both agreed and disagreed with Edwards reasoning. i agreed because i felt like maybe Bella was rushing the vampire issue and she had to think about it more and Edwards plan would keep her human long enough for her to maybe change her mind, which makes sense for Edward to want since he wants her to remain human. i disagreed of course because i want nothing more than for Bella to become a vampire and be a part of that family and no longer be a liability. i totally understood Rosalies logic behind it though, of course i understood it a little more after reading Eclipse, but it seemed reasonable for her to want Bella to have a choice unlike she did. if i was in a situtation i hated and someone else wanted to be in it i would have told them no too(if that makes any sense at all). Carlisle's reasoning was of course the best though because he's right, if Edward plans on being with Bella forever, the only logical way to keep EVERYONE safe is for her to become a vampire.

stunned? more like elated. i had the doofiest grin on my face like you wouldn't believe, i just loved it,"marry me first"..ahh...*swoon*. to me i thought Bella's reasoning for saying no was pretty weak, if your willing to change your entire being for someone, you should be ready to marry him which is really much easier i think. i understand about the parents thing considering my parents were married and divorced semi-young, but still given the circumstances i thought marriage seemed simple.

at that point, no. Bella wasn't fully ready to become a vampire yet i think, she had to many loose ends to tie. a no to marriage to then for the same reason. of course at the time i was all ready for Alice to just do it but thinking about it now you really have to be read and by the end of New Moon Bella isn't ready for "eternal damnnation" yet.

I think it would be really amazing if Edward changed her. even though we know he loves her, this would be like the ultimate sign of love, resisting sucking her dry when her blood is the most desirable thing to him. it would be awe-inspiring. but i don't think i would mind if someone else like Carlisle changed her, i just want her to be a vampire sooner rather than later.

azncuti3
Settled in Forks

Post by azncuti3 »

well, rosalie's reasons for voting bella no to become a vampire makes perfect sense to me. we cant really say that rosalie hates bella because she's human, rosalie just feels jealous because she didnt want to become a vampire in the first place. but she doesnt want that to happen to bella, she noes that bella has a choice and wants bella to choose the right one. i think rosalie is not the same shallow person as before, she may still be a lil rude and self-absorbed but just because she's jealous that bella is a human; doesnt mean that she should vote yes, so bella could become a vampire. i dont think rosalie is that low. it makes perfect sense why she voted for what she did and her reasons supporting that. i think at the voting time, rosalie already got over the dislike of bella, and voting the way she did was only to provide bella with an explanation of the other option.
(sorry guys, that must be hard to understand.)

as for how i would feel if edward changed her or not.
well, i think it would be really great if he did, but not the end of the world if he didnt. it really doesnt matter, she's going to be in so much pain whoever does it. and when she's a vampire its not going to mean anything whether carlisle or edward did it. i guess she wants him to do it to show how much he wants her to join his family.. i guess i can understand that. im just saying, if he deosnt change her and someone else does, i hope she deosnt complain and sulk and go on and on about it, yuh noe!? :roll: :)
"His irises were pitch-black, with bruise-like shadows under them. This surprised me; my hallucinatory Edwards were usually better fed." ~Bella

ibelievealice
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter Twenty - Four: Vote

Post by ibelievealice »

I think she was justified. She saw the look in his eyes, she believed him. She has been mourning the loss of their relationship for months, she thought if he really loved her he wouldn't have put her through that pain. I think if she realized what he really was doing she would have stopped at nothing to find him and talk him into coming back with her. Her epiphany or realization about what really happened was just her subconcious catching up with the present.

I feel great about the way the vote went! I think it's the only logical choice. I understand Edwards feelings. He sees this at eternal damnation. He want better for Bella. He wants her to be with him, but he's torn between his want and ethics! Rosalie, well sticking with the chapter and book, I think that she is a selfish person. I think she is content in the way things are and doesn't want it changed in anyway or for anybody. As for Carlisle, he knows that Edward has made his choice to be with Bella, and we've seen already what has happened. It seems the safest alternative! Also, Carlise changed the "family" members because he wanted them each to have a mate or someone to be with. He hoped Rosalie would be for Edward, like Esme is for him. He didn't get it quite right and now here is Bella the one that is meant for Edward, his hopes and wishes for his "son" is right there in this human girl. She has the opportunity to be with him for eternity, why seperate something so strong.

I was stunned. You would think turning into a vampire to spend all of eternity with the one you love is enough for one person! Not that her saying no had made much more sense. If your ready to go that far why not just marry him too! I understand that marriage can be a difficult subject for someone who's parents are divorced. So in a way I can feel for her, but she doens't seem to be the type that cares what other people think. She knows he is the one and she doesn't want to be with anyone else, so why not take the next step.

I do think she should marry him. Why not? making it "official" and being his wife for eternity is kind of romantic! Then they really would completely belong to each other. In a way I think she should wait a little longer to become a vampire just to fit in a few more human experiences, but when your in love with a vampire and around them all the time she runs some risks. As we've seen these risks can be very great. Some of them could have been avoided if she were a vampire, so I think it's better to do it sooner than later.

I think Edward should change her. If they were to get married, then Edward change her it would be like they really did fully belong to each other. It would mean so much more to there relationship if he did it. Not to mention the trust factor involved. If she trusts him to do it, and he can pull himself away before killing her...... I mean what greater bond than that? I don't think it would be the same if someone else changed her, although it would be interesting if Rosalie did it!
[img]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa50/AlmostAugust/Penguins.jpg[/img]

alsha
Wandering Through Town

Post by alsha »

yeah i do think she is justified in believing that because he did tell her that he didn't love her anymore and that he was easily entertained so yeah and if he wouldn't have told her that then she would just have looked for him no matter what.

i liked the vote. yeah Edward is really mad because of it and i totally understand that i mean who would or could allow their love to be "doomed" into their life and take away their soul and heaven i couldn't

yeah i loved that part of the book. i think her reasons are stupid

yeah i do because the volturi wants to have Bella either dead or changed and Victoria wants her dead too so Bella as a vampire is a better choice. and she should be changed as soon as posible.

i would love for Edward to change her it would be the right thing! i would be so sad becuase Bella does want Edward to change her and he doesn't want to change her but he should because he knows that she wants to be changed and he would be her first choice but if he doesn't it would be someone else and he would be so mad if he wasn't the one to change her.

admirallily
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: In a big white house in the forest by the river. They say vampires live here.

Re: Chapter Twenty - Four: Vote

Post by admirallily »

A: Yes. It was very well done.

A: I agreed with all of them. They all made great points but it's tough to say what the right thing to do his. All of Edward's well thought plans could be for naught, but then again they just might get lucky.

A: YES! Completely logical given her upbringing. When something is pounded into your head your whole life it's hard to get away from it.

A: Absolutely. They're no good for anyone else now. They've been through too much and they've proven that no matter what happens it always comes back to the two of them together. I'm torn. I want her as a vampire but she will be giving up a lot. Still, only the individual can decide if the lost is with the gain.

A: Definitely want it to be Edward. Anyone else would be disappointing.
[img]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/admirallily/17AgainQuotebyAL.gif[/img]
Hee! I crack up every time I see that clip!

BroadwayAmanda93
Wandering Through Town

Post by BroadwayAmanda93 »

1. I think Bella deep down really knew all along that Edward still loved her. I don't exactly know why, I mean I can't pinpoint an exact quote and shout out "See! Right there!" but maybe it was just because I didn't want to believe that he stopped loving her. I guess my point is when Bella stated her epiphany, I thought "Ok, you didn't realize that sooner?"

2. The vote to me went exactly as it should have, and I think Bella was very brave to just come out and say it like that. And although I love Edward to death, I don't completely agree with him about the Volturi. I mean, I know love conquers all, but these are the Volturi, they aren't exactly new at making sure they get what they want. If I were Bella I would be very afraid. Rosalie I'm not sure if I agree with either. I know she desperately wanted a family and all, but as she said she didn't make this choice. She wasn't decided that this was what it would take to stay with the one she loved forever. Carlisle I very much agree with! I mean you've got the Volturi, Victoria, and the fact that Bella is getting older everyday. I think Bella becoming a vampire really is the best choice.

3. I was STUNNED BEYOND BELIEF that Edward proposed! I literally stopped breathing and reread that one sentence five times, not grasping what was happening. Even now when I reread the books a smile crosses my face. However, I was extremely confused by Bella being so hesitant. She wants to spend eternity with him, isn't that was marriage was meant to be?

4. I absolutely think Bella should marry Edward! Of course, I'm sure that me and every other Edward lover will be crying if this happens! And as for changing her, read the last part of my answer to number 2! There is simply too much danger and time is moving too quickly for her not to be changed.

5. I really think Edward should be the one to change Bella. It just seems natural and logical that since Edward is the reason she wants to change, he should be the one to change her. If in the end it is Carlisle who changes her, I won't be too upset, but just a little bit disappointed.

Thanks for putting up with my rant! Hope you enjoyed! And don't hesitate to PM me with your thoughts! Even if you're thinking "Oh my gosh that is NOT right Amanda!" I'd love to hear your side! So type away!

faerie_kitten
Wandering Through Town

Post by faerie_kitten »

i think that she really should have beleived it a lot more than she did before her epiphany but i think that as she really beleive d that he didnt want her that she was stunned by the realisation that he did.

completly agree with carlisle, cos there were def a few holes in edwards plan of hiding bella. all they needed to do was get aro to read his thoughts and thats that plan down the drain! glad the vote when the way it did nad wasnt suprised. rosalies argument was def valid. but i think she needs to realise that the circumstances are completley different.

not really that stunned, cos after leaving her and then living through thinking that she was dead it would seema logical thing to do, as well as romantic. i think that if you were brought up to shy away from marrige then her raction and reasons were just what you'd expect.

i think that she should marry edward, and that she should become a vapire, but maybe wait a little while just to make sure its what she really wants.

not sure i would feel anythign different no matter who chagned her.