Chapter Twenty: Volterra

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
TheOriginalAlice
Wandering Through Town

Post by TheOriginalAlice »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?

Now that you mention it, I didn't really think of it much, since we all probably assume that the Cullens have a lot of money, and it was just clever for her to bring that much money, given the time they had left, they had to take extra measures.

2. Did you ever think Bella wasn't going to make it in time?

It crossed my mind...however, I was reading New Moon when Eclipse came out, so I kind of knew that Edward wasn't going to die. Nevertheless, it never stopped me from being nervous.

3. How did you respond when Edward assumed they were both dead?

I thought it was such a touching scene, seeing that he still loved Bella no matter what, and if I were Bella, I'd probably go and hug him so tight. But given the fact that both of their lives were in danger, it was like "Edward! Wake up!"

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approched. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!

I was honestly confused, and I had to go check a few pages back to see if I had missed anything, and I initially perceived Jane as an adult.

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her?

Of course he still loved her, there was no doubt. Bella was still pretty much hung over what Edward told her a long time ago, that he didn't love her.

Onlyhuman1
Wandering Through Town

Post by Onlyhuman1 »

1) i never thought anything of the bribe. by now we all know the Cullens are undeniably rich :( , and i figured she just grabbed a bunch because she was in such a hurry.

2)i always thought Bella would make it. This was Edward's existence at stake. i trusted SM to keep him safe enough. :D

3)When i read he thought they were both dead, i was really glad to know that he didn't trully believe about eternal hell. And that he did trully love being with Bella so much.

4)When Jane approached, i figured Edward gave up because she was way stronger than even Emmett. (i trully did :oops: )

5) From the beginning i didn't think Edward was gone 4 good. i mean, they'd been through too much 4 him to just not love Bella anymore. That doesn't mean i wasn't mad when he left! So i just figured that Bella should realize that he still loved her.
Last edited by Onlyhuman1 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb..."

"Alice had a little bit too much fun fabricating the evidence."

"I walked forward to meet my fate, with my destiny solidly at my side.â€

alsha
Wandering Through Town

Post by alsha »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?
it tells me that her abilities to see the future helped her to know how much money to give the officer and that they have a lot of money

yeah every time she said that the clock was ticking i was like just hurry the heck up and stop worring about the clock but the truth was that i was eating away my poor nails!! i was like stop the clock!!

i thought it was sad because he really thought she was dead and it took her some time to make him understand that they weren't dead.

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approched. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!
that she wasn some kid or person i didn't thought she was a vampire at first

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her?
i thought that i wished so much to be Bella at that moment

admirallily
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: In a big white house in the forest by the river. They say vampires live here.

Re: Chapter Twenty: Volterra

Post by admirallily »

A: I didn't think much of it. It seemed completely expected.

A: I was definitely on the edge of my seat but I figured she would make it to him.

A: SQUEEEEEE! Not that I want them dead but it reaffirmed what he knew, that he still loved her.

A: She was trouble with a capital danger if Edward was resigned. Facing a dozen Felix's and Demetri's he still would have fought, but one little Jane and he see's the momentary futility.

A: SQUEEEEE!!!! I was just waiting for Bella to finally realize the truth as well.
[img]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/admirallily/17AgainQuotebyAL.gif[/img]
Hee! I crack up every time I see that clip!

drkavila
Settled in Forks

Post by drkavila »

Alice is definitely a go-getter and she's prepared to go out of way to save Edward, so no it didn't surprise me. It actually made me laugh at how easily cops can give in to seduction! Haha.

I at first did. I thought Stephenie was going to give us a jaw dropper and have Edward reveal himself. But after a while, I was like "she's going to do this!"

I thought that was kind of sad, how he really deeply thought Bella was dead. But then again it just shows once again how much he loves her. I wanted to say "Edward, snap out of it!" Haha.

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!

This is at no means racist, but at first I thought she was African-American for some reason...any who, I kind of liked Jane. I knew she had some deep power of some kind cause obviously Edward gave up. NETSPEAK IS SO UNATTRACTIVE PLEASE FIX ME!, I guess Jane's cool.

I think he was being both nice and romantic. He was protecting her and at the same time trying to tell her he still loves her and wants her back. Maybe he thought his charm would win over her? lol. And also, he was definitely scared. He thought the Volturi were going to hurt her. So he was mainly guarding her.

I loved this chapter! I couldn't put the book down! Well...I never can with these books! Haha. :D
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb.
[img]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa1/drkavila/11111.jpg[/img]

OriginalEdwardCullen
Settled in Forks

Post by OriginalEdwardCullen »

C'mon, she sees into the future. She probably knew what to do immediately

No, I actually had no faith. She cant even run ten feet without tripping on something.

"Wake Up DARN IT!!!!" Yea, that pretty much covers it.

I thought she was some puny little vampriss, but when Edward backed off, I thought somethin wierd was goin on with that chick.

Being a guy, I knew he still loved her and that he didn't want her to get hurt. I knew why Edward left to begin with, he and I have the same mentality when it comes to our girlfriends. He left her to protect her. She was just to blind to see.
[url=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][img]http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/417/mybanner484b4504283feej1.jpg[/img][/url]

I might be a Vampire, but I still have a soul.

fantasia
Learning to Love Green

Post by fantasia »

I don't think much about it. I'm sure Alice was prepared in every possible way to help save Edward, and money is a universal language...it just seems to make sense.

I had a feeling she might have been seconds too late, but that when he first stepped out no one would have really seen him anyway. Either way, I didn't think she'd be so late that he would die...but I was anxious up until that part anyway.

Haha, I found it hilarious and frustrating at the same time. I wanted him to grasp straight away what Bella had just been through to save him. The way he talked about Bella though, was very very sweet.

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approached. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!

Well they said Jane seemed like a child, and little girls are always evil! lol. I assumed she would want to kill Bella, Alice and Edward for the shenannigans they had pulled. I just figured that was the person you had to be on good terms with to walk away from there alive.

I'll be honest, when he had broken up with Bella earlier in the book, I had a feeling he still cared to an extent, but that he honestly no longer wanted to be with her (for all the various good reasons). I assumed right along with her that he was just being nice, I figured he'd be a little dazed after being saved by the reason he was going to kill himself...and couldn't really think properly about the whole situation. I just thought he was being protective like always, and didn't think much else about it.

NewMoonyay
Settled in Forks

Post by NewMoonyay »

I really didn't have ne thoughts on it when I was reading, i guess i never thought about it.

Of course not!

I laughed a little, he seemed so convinced.

For the obvious reason. Because he loved her and wanted 2 protect her!
[img]http://i27.tinypic.com/1692szt.jpg[/img]

Hereandthere
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Hereandthere »

Well she always knows what she needs ahead of time. She isn't often taken by surprise. And the Cullens are rolling in cash. Not only do they have an infinite amount of time but they are able to "watch" the stock market more closely. I'm sure they all have extra cash handy to make sure they get their way in case the usual charm doesn't work as planned.

A little bit. It is a bit of a downside knowing that there is another book after the one I was reading. :-/ I was panicking a bit but not as much as I would have been. I was almost positive that she was going to trip on several occasions too.

It was a bit amusing how absolutely sure he was that he had died. It was funny how frustrated Bella was getting with him too. I do like the quote that he said about if that was hell, it must be wonderful because Bella was there. So sweet.

I was a bit confused. It was just a little child. And I realize that with vampires, it isn't the same as with humans and such but I was a bit shocked that a grown man would give in for a small child. I was also shocked that someone that young was a vampire. :shock:

I thought it was the most beautiful and wonderful thing at that point. Yes he was protecting her but he also didn't want to let go of her even if she wasn't in danger. I really wished to see inside of Edward's mind at this point so much!
Here, there, and everywhere...that's where you'll find me.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/RaiderCrash89/edward.jpg[/img] [img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/RensFeathers/Random/EdsPeople.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdamLgrH9hM]Check out Twilight for Dummies![/url] :D

hazelred
Settled in Forks

Post by hazelred »

1. Who cares save Edward! were my only thoughts Alice could have driven the car naked and done a chicken dance and i wouldnt hold it against her, as long as Edward was safe and sound. Its only money to Alice Edward is irreplacable in all of their universes.

2. Every second. i made the mistake of reading this part of the book in front of people, let me tell you its hard to type when your in a straight jacket. Was it only me that was left completly drained by this chapter. i must have died several times during the rush, oh but i would do it again. With a copy of Eclipse on hand just to reasure me. (espec chapter 20 swoon.... wait a minute, this is topic 20 too, i cant remember Twilight chapter 20 but i bet its emotionally fraught as well...watch out for breaking dawns #20 then...oooo checking the contents page before i read that one...anything to with death and im done for!)

3. Oh it broke my heart. Like these books tend to do. Oh i fell in love several times over, between fainting that Bella made it and anger that she didnt start pummeling his stupid a** into the italian pavement!

4. A couple of you have said it and i too didnt realise Jane was a child, it still doesnt register. I dont think shes been anything close to a child in a few centuries at least, freaky little thing. I was curious at why Edward, with Alice in tow no less would bow to the whims of a vampire but hey never anger the freaky little child thing, horror movies have taught us that much. Theres nothing more unsetteling than that amount of power on one so young.

5. Not romantic. honestly being dragged through a sewer has never been so sexy! he's been opperating under the fact that the love of his (eternal) life was dead. On top of that he almost got her killed a second time. If the tables had been turned Bella wouldnt have let him go. A very human moment i think. Holding on to dear life.
[img]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii315/hazelred88/witness.png[/img]