Chapter Twenty: Volterra

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
Cullenesque71
Buying a Better Raincoat

Volterra

Post by Cullenesque71 »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?

I thought it was necessary...time was of the essence!

2. Did you ever think Bella wasn't going to make it in time?

Before she got to the fountain, I was worried...I seriously chewed my fingernails down to the nub!

3. How did you respond when Edward assumed they were both dead?

"No! She's real, and you're about to do something stupid!"

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approched. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!

Wow...she must have some strange hold on Edward (and other vampires for that matter).

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her?

I knew he was protecting her, but I thought the outlining of her lips with his finger pretty much showed that he was in it because he loved her.
~Lisa~
[img]http://i29.tinypic.com/300haxd.jpg[/img]

faerie_kitten
Wandering Through Town

Post by faerie_kitten »

1. What did you think of Alice's bribe? What does it say to you that she not only had that much cash handy, but that she thought it would take that much money to bribe the officer?

i felt that she was far too concerned with getting to edward to be boethered about the amoutn of money and i don't think there are many people in the world ho would turn it down :) i know i wouldnt :)

No! i always, always thought that she had to make it. not so much that i really beleived that she would but i was rooting for her all the way.

my first thought was wake up you idiot.

4. Edward pretty much gave up the moment tiny, little Jane approched. What was your assumption about Jane when you first saw her - be honest!

i was wondering what the hell was going on. didn't ahve a clue about who she was or what she could do to make them all stop like that. was interesting to find out.

5. Bella assumed that Edward was being nice, but not romantic, by protecting her as they made their way down the tunnel. What did you think of the way he was holding her and protecting her?

i thought that she needed to wake up at that point. then again i firmly beleived through the whole book that he still loved her. never doubted that for a minute. so when he was holding her it was all confirmed and of course he still loved her :) yay

elysiepiecie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by elysiepiecie »

I loved Alice's bribe. I think that she foresaw having a problem and was ready to have pull out all the stops to save her brother's life.

It never really did cross my mind'I had faith that SM wouldn't do that to us. Plus there was Eclipse, so why would the journey continue without Edward?

I thought it was sweet. I knew that they weren't dead, but his reaction was very sweet.

Hmm, I thought maybe Edward and her had a past together. I also had a very uneasy feeling about her.

I was thinking "I knew he still loved her!"

atrociousprincess
Learning to Love Green

Post by atrociousprincess »

1. Alice probably knew that it was going to be hard getting in the city. As to the amount, she probably figured it would be safe to assume that the officer was greedy...otherwise she would have wasted time negotiating amounts with him
2. No, but I was still on edge...and crying.
3. It was so romantic...I wanted to swoon and yell "you fool you have to believe her!" at the same time...I just kept crying instead :cry:
4. I was scared. Little girls can be SO evil
5. He still loves her :D...if it wasn't already obvious after the whole suicide attempt
[img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/twilight_confession02.png[/img][img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/eclipse_confession06.png[/img] [img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/newmoon_confession12.png[/img][img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/twilight_confession18.png[/img]

jaspersfanpire
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Resurrecting Edward from the book and into real life

Post by jaspersfanpire »

1. She was just desperate to go save her brother and would have probably been willing to hand over her entire bank account to that officer to do so. And I knew the Cullens were beyond rich-they all probably have trillion dollar bills stuffed in their pockets on a daily basis.

2. There was always that possibility-but I figured SM would never do that to us. Besides, she loves Edward too.

3. I couldn't really follow what he was saying. When he said 'amazing. carlisle was right.' I had absolutely NO IDEA what he was talking about. :idea: But I figured it out later. But it makes sense that he would think they were both dead. In his mind, Bella was already dead. And he had just taken his death-step into the sun.

4. I figured she was really important or something because Edward stood down. To me, her size made her all the more scarier for some reason.

5. I kind of figured that he still loved her. You don't just practically carry someone and risk your life to save them because you're being nice.
"I was with Edward in my happy place."