Chapter Seventeen: Visitor

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
Cocoa
Clarifying Base Running for Edward

Chapter Seventeen: Visitor

Post by Cocoa »

Questions by Cocoa:

1) Who were you expecting in the house? Where you disappointed it wasn't Edward?

2) Did Alice's reaction to the news of werewolves in forks taint your opinion of the pack?

3) What do you think of Alice's history? Do you find her parents to have been barbaric?

4) This is our first real glimpse into Charlie's pain, how did the scene between Charlie and Alice effect your opion of Charlie as a parent?

5) An important piece of information was learned in this chapter reguarding Alice's second sight & werewolves, how do you think this effected Alice's confidence?

victoria
Settled in Forks

Post by victoria »

1) Who were you expecting in the house? Where you disappointed it wasn't Edward?

My gut reaction was "what if Victoria somehow got Carlise's car and is waiting for Bella" although Alice would probably have "seen" that happening.

2) Did Alice's reaction to the news of werewolves in forks taint your opinion of the pack?

No, the pack have looked out for Bella and welcomed her as one of their own, Although i realise Alice is worried about one of them phasing and hurting Bella by accident.

3) What do you think of Alice's history? Do you find her parents to have been barbaric?

Back in the days when Alice was young, unfortunately for her- if you were anything other than "normal" you were institutionalised so, no i dont blame her parents or think of them barbaric because they probably did what they though was best for her.

4) This is our first real glimpse into Charlie's pain, how did the scene between Charlie and Alice effect your opion of Charlie as a parent?

I had more repect for him, and i felt his pain- as a parent myself i can understand how helpless he must have felt when he couldnt really help Bella after Edward left. So he figures Edward is the bad guy.

5) An important piece of information was learned in this chapter reguarding Alice's second sight & werewolves, how do you think this effected Alice's confidence?

Alice i believe was knocked for six, it makes her uncomfortable not being able to see the Werewolves, and not be certain about her visions.
"With a wild gasp, he brought his mouth back to mine, his fingers clutching frantically against the skin at my waist"
{ Eclipse pg 527 }

LindsAy
Banging out dents with Tyler

Re: Chapter Seventeen: Visitor

Post by LindsAy »

Thank you Cocoa. :)

I was afraid it would be victoria or a vamp of equal magnitude. I was just happy it was a Cullen! :) I would have liked to see Edward there too, of course, but the way it was written was much more suspenseful that way.

Not really. It's understandable that the vampires are as anti-werewolf as the wolves are towards them. Natural enemies and all that. :wink:

I thought it was very sad. Though it was probably very common back then to do that in situations where people were different, and I don't think they were "barbaric,", I still completely disagree with their decision.

Well, it shows he's been paying attention a little more than he seems to. I liked that scene, because we didn't hear those details from Bella herself, and I liked that a Cullen was knowing how badly she was hurt.

5) An important piece of information was learned in this chapter reguarding Alice's second sight & werewolves, how do you think this effected Alice's confidence?[/quote]
I think it probably did mess with her confidence a little bit. It must be annoying for her to realize that flaw with her gift.

nicole1484
Wandering Through Town

Post by nicole1484 »

i didn't really think it was going to be Edward...i was wondering if it was going to be a trap but realy hoping otherwise

Not really. I had already seen that they could be unstable and rather immature at times.

I think it's horrible and sad but since i didn't live back in that time i guess i can't really relate to them. It made me want to learn even more about Alice's past though.

He tries his hardest to be there for Bella. As a parent myself i couldn't imagine watching my child go through that kind of pain and feeling helpless.

Probably made her feel a little not in control. Her visions are never set in stone but being completely blind when you never are has to be upsetting to someone who's usually so confident.

scriptique
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by scriptique »

I actually thought it was Carlisle, because it was Carlisle's car. Hmm... I was a tiny bit disappointed. But not much. Alice is about as good.

No. The pack had a low opinion on vampires I was expecting the same reaction from the vampires on werewolves.

Well, she lived during times when mental illness was deemed as germs of the mind and that it could be treated by certain institutional methods. So even though I do find stuff like eugenics barbaric, I think that her parents were products of their time and that they were simply following what was expected/taught to them. Who's to say that the certain methods we use today aren't going to be deemed barbaric 50 years from now?

It magnified it even more. I've respected Charlie since the beginning, and that scene between Charlie and Alice just increased my respect for him.

Oh, I think it affected her greatly. From a life of always being able to see the future whenever she wished, suddenly seeing nothing probably annoyed and disorientated her a bit.
It's just like when Edward suddenly couldn't hear a person's thoughts.
[img]http://i23.tinypic.com/14kuqh5.jpg[/img]
Then you shot through the sky like a meteor...

StupidxLamb
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by StupidxLamb »

I was expecting it to be Victoria. I wasn't dissapointed it wasn't Edward, because I didn't think he'd come back like that. I was relieved that it was Alice.

Not really, but I always thought that the Cullens had a better vision of what is more dangerous to Bella. So when the Cullens say that the werewolves are more dangerous, I believe them more than when the werewolves say that the Cullens are dangerous. Mostly because all of the werewolves are young, and the Cullens have better history and knowledge of their vampire forms.

I pity Alice's human life. She was treated terribly. I found her parents to have been neglegant and unloving.

It made me see how seriously Charlie took on the role of Bella's father again.

Obviously it was very disconcerting for Alice. She had the confidence before that she could protect and keep her family (including Bella) safe because of her visions and her sight. With this blow, I imagine that she probably felt unusually vulnerable.
[i]Carlisle House[/i]►[u]Team Edward[/u]◄[b]TeamIan[/b] →Pattinism!
[img]http://s3.tinypic.com/o79401.jpg[/img]

Loves~Golden~Eyed~Boys!
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Loves~Golden~Eyed~Boys! »

I expected Edward, so, yes, I was extremely dissapointed. I was actually so disappointed that I had to put the book down for a second and regain composure!

Yeppers.

I don't think that Alice's parents are barbaric, they are just extremely non-understanding.

I always thought that Charlie was doing the best he could, and that he cared for Bella, but this scene showed me that he notices and cares a lot more than I was giving him credit for.

I'm sure it's affected it in a bad way.
Can't get enough of the amazing-ness that is me? Check me out at:

[url]http://www.myspace.com/holli_waffles[/url]

[url]http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1254526/Holli-Loves-Edward[/url]

obsession
Settled in Forks

Post by obsession »

Well I didn't think it was Edward but I was hoping!! I thought it was Rosalie! I thought she had come to tell Bella that she had to fix Edward. To make him live again.

No I still think the pack rock!! But I was getting a little worried about Jacob!

I don't think they were barbaric. I just think that they were doing the only thing that they could think of. They had no idea how to deal with their daughter and were probably scared for her. So they did what they thought was necassary.

I felt terriable for him. I had always thought that Charlie loved Bella, but that he had no idea how to deal with a teenage girl that he had only seen once a year. I mean girls are a completle misterey. Even to me and I'm one. I could relate to Charlie because a lot of my friends have been going through depression lately and I have no idea how to help. In the words of Charlie I'm afraid to say and do anything in case it reminds her of him. So I think that Charlie is doing his best, but remember he has never been a real parent and suddenly he has a severly depressed daughter that he has no idea what to do with.

Alice likes being right and it scares her when she can't see things. In some ways she relies on her extra sight to much. So I think it came as a big shock that she couldn't see what was happening with the werewolves. And I think that is one of the things that Edward is nervous about in the 3rd book because he doesn't want Bella to get hurt and Alice can't see what's going to happen so to him it is an even bigger risk.
"And suddenly you shot across my sky..."

SPARKLES
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by SPARKLES »

Questions by Cocoa:

I thought it would be Victoria but was desperately hoping it was Edward. I was slightly disappointed that it wasnt Edward, but Alice is the next best thing.

No, not at all. The pack, especially Jake helped her through alot, but I am not surprised at Alice's reaction given their past.

I dont think her parents were barbaric. It was probably very hard for them to institutionalize Alice but with the times being different back then, I am sure they felt they had no choice. I feel bad that Alice had to go through that and was basically catatonic.

That was one of my favorite parts of the book. It was great to get a glimpse of how hard it was for Charlie and see just how much he loves Bella. It was good for Bella to see how much he had been through too. I really thought a lot of Charlie for confiding this to Alice. He probably really needed someone he could talk to that would understand where he was coming from.

Oh, I am sure it was really frustrating for Alice. That was probably the first time that has happened to her. I am sure she had to question a lot about herself and her abilities.
[img]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/smileymontes/BE.jpg[/img][img]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m190/rossumrox05/Bella%20and%20Edward/teamedward.jpg[/img][img]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u78/heart_in_the_clouds/Avatars%20and%20Icons/Twilight%20series/blackandtealheart2ux8.png[/img]

Twilight Fan
Settled in Forks

The Visitor

Post by Twilight Fan »

1) Who were you expecting in the house? Were you disappointed it wasn't Edward?
Answer: I was expecting Edward. And yes, I was very disappointed when I found out it wasn't.

Answer: I didn't really like them in the first place, but that's probably because I was still in despair because Edward left.

Answer: Not barbaric, but close.

Answer: I felt really bad for him. He had to see Bella that way which is very sad.

Answer: I really don't know. :?:
Jealous of Bella
www.edwardsmeadow.com