Chapter Twenty-One: Verdict

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
Forever Purity
Wandering Through Town

Bella - half Vampire?

Post by Forever Purity »

I don't know if I'm supposed to stick to the question mentioned, but I've got one of my own...

I was recently re-reading the Twilight series, and something caught my eye. If you'd kindly pick up your New Moon books, turn to page 464 (Chapter 21, Verdict), and look at the fifth and sixth paragraph on the page. You'll see my... er... distraction.

I'll quote it, for those who may be a little lazy:
"Alec," she responded, embracing the boy. They kissed each other's cheeks on both sides. Then he looked at us.

"They send you out for one and you come back with two... and a half," he noted looking at me. "Nice work."
I don't know weather Alec was joking or what. But it's still ever so distracting. Oo The half, bit, of course.
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x110/stop_looking_now/host016copy.png[/img]
hoping to someday BE a vampire....
...in the market for an Ian. <3

~Purity-san

nataliyaa
Learning to Love Green

Re: Bella - half Vampire?

Post by nataliyaa »

Forever Purity wrote:I don't know if I'm supposed to stick to the question mentioned, but I've got one of my own...

I was recently re-reading the Twilight series, and something caught my eye. If you'd kindly pick up your New Moon books, turn to page 464 (Chapter 21, Verdict), and look at the fifth and sixth paragraph on the page. You'll see my... er... distraction.

I'll quote it, for those who may be a little lazy:
"Alec," she responded, embracing the boy. They kissed each other's cheeks on both sides. Then he looked at us.

"They send you out for one and you come back with two... and a half," he noted looking at me. "Nice work."
I don't know weather Alec was joking or what. But it's still ever so distracting. Oo The half, bit, of course.
what about it is distracting? i found it witty and funny. as in 2 vampires and a human so the human is only 1/2. i was like AHAHA

Forever Purity
Wandering Through Town

Post by Forever Purity »

well, that IS the distracting part. I mean, I've read through the saga 5 or 6 times by now, and every time i come to it, it rattles my thoughts... so... James made her half? That's my thought, really. And theres a part... i forget where it is, but somewhere bella's taking a hot shower and she mentions that "she's still freezing dispite the hot water"... again... stuff that rattles my brain.
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x110/stop_looking_now/host016copy.png[/img]
hoping to someday BE a vampire....
...in the market for an Ian. <3

~Purity-san

Jennmc
Wandering Through Town

Post by Jennmc »

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications?
I'm sure they were sizing up the situation and their options and he was relying on her reading the future to help them survive.

2. Can you explain how Aro's behavior is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi?
He wants what is best for him and the Volturi. He is dying to have Edward and Alice with him, so I think he is going to do whatever it takes to get them, even letting them go.

3. Compare and contrast Aro, Marcus and Caius. Which one is most frightening? Why?
I think Aro is most frightening. He seems very deceptive in getting what he wants. Marcus just threw it right out there that they should all be disposed of.

4. Aro considers Edward not drinking Bella's blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro?
The Volturi don't value human life, and the Cullens do. That pretty much sums up that. Edward not only values human life, but he has such a strong physical, emotional and spiritual connection with Bella that he would never be able to kill her. Aro just wants what is best for Aro.

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of and angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?
Edward respects and loves Carlisle, but he does not have the emotional restraint that Carlisle does. Of course Edward has more self-control than Carlisle. The simple fact that Bella's blood sings to him like it does and he will not drink proves that. Also, he was able to suck out James's venom and stop and not kill her. I honestly don't know how Carlisle would react in the situations that Edward has been put in with Bella.

6. Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a 'private mind.' Explain what you think this means. How do you think it works.
Bella is a unique person. She has a very strong mind with strong opinions. She has also grown up extremely fast taking care of her mother first, and now Charlie. She has had to learn to block things out. She also grew up in a HUGE school. You have to learn to block out a lot of things and protect your mind from the hurt caused by your peers.

roughchicka0819
Settled in Forks

Post by roughchicka0819 »

1. During this chapter, Bella (and Aro) notice silent and one-sided conversations between Edward and Alice. By analyzing the facts in the rest of the chapters, can you surmise the content of these communications?

I think Alice is just trying to keep Edward calm so he doesn't do anything stupid and get them all killed..

The other time is when Edward is explaining Aro's powers for Bella and perhaps Alice's benefit as well. I think Alice is asking Edward if he allowed Aro to read his own thoughts, and Edward replies with a nod....

2. Can you explain how Aro's behavior is deceptive, based on what we know of the Volturi?

Aro seems like a nice guy but thats the thing he is to nice i think underneath the surface he can be a very very dangerous and cruel creature.....because just think he is one of the three leaders of the volturi..

3. Compare and contrast Aro, Marcus and Caius. Which one is most frightening? Why?

I would say Aro because he is the nicest one and the most welcoming.. it's the nice ones you have to watch out for.. because when they snap its not a pretty sight... -hides under desk-

4. Aro considers Edward not drinking Bellas blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro?

edward doesn't want to waste bellas life and soul by making her live forever.. the volturi choose humans to become vampires because of the powers they may bring with them when they turn.. the cullens turn humans into to vampires for the greater good.. like when someone is suffering or close to death.. they only do this to give that person a second chance but at you can see they are very careful with who they chose..

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of an angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?

i don't agree with aro because edward struggled the first day he meet bella, by that i mean edward wanted to kill bella the first time he met her... but he is getting better with the urge not to kill her but that doesn't mean he has the same control with other humans..

6. Stephenie has told us that Bellas immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edwards, Aros and Janes abilities; Is because she has a Ëœprivate mind. Explain what you think this means. How do you think it works?

bella has a very reserved mind she keeps to her self and doesn't care what anyone else thinks of her...i am not to sure how it works though
""Softly he brushed my cheek, then held my face between his marble hands. 'Be very still,' he whispered, as if I wasn't already frozen. Slowly, never moving his eyes from mine, he leaned toward me. Then abruptly, but very gently, he rested his cold cheek against the hollow at the base of my throat.""

nostalgicmiss
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by nostalgicmiss »

I'm sure that Alice wanted to know how real the danger was, I'm sure she was shooting visions at him as well. No doubt that Alice was watching for a decision from them.
I think she was also trying to keep Edward calm, he was so on edge being in that room with Bella there, I think he would do anything to protect her.

He's entirely too nice, I don't think in a regular situation he is the passive. I'm not sure whether it's because he has always held Carlisle in such high regard or because he truly wants Edward and Alice to become part of their family.

I was say Marcus is the scariest he seemed so angry, and he would constantly try to contradict any decision Aro tries to make. He doesn't seem to like the Cullens very much and that confused because Carlisle's story had described them as good friends.

4. Aro considers Edward not drinking Bella's blood a waste. Edward sees it as a price for an unimaginable opportunity. How do you explain this difference in opinion? How does this contrast the lifestyle choices of the Volturi with that of the Cullens? How does it contrast the individual character of Edward and Aro?
I think that blood is blood to the Volturi, whether it sings or not it should be taken advantage of. This just proves more than ever how much Edward loves Bella, he is willing to endure the torment her blood produces because being with her is more important. I think in his mind Edward is beginning to realize his love for her is giving him more humanity because his want for her is becoming more than the urge for her blood and I think he holds onto that and it makes her so much more precious to him.
The Cullen's are always persevering to preserve life, the Volturi have no regard whatsoever for human life, it is a broad difference and I'm sure the Votluri see this as threatening behavior because it enables larger covens to form and live harmoniously, whereas they rule governed on fear, they want to be feared because it gives them more control.

5. Aro says that Edward reminds, him of and angrier Carlisle. He also indicates that he believes Edward has even more self-control than Carlisle. Edward disagrees. With which evaluation do you agree? Can you find support in the text to defend your opinions?
As far as I can tell, Carlisle has killed no human. But Edward had a slip. I don't think you can even categorize them them the same way. They are completely different situations.
Edward does resist human blood but Bella's blood sings to him, we know from how the story has progressed, what a truly unusual and difficult thing this truly is. Carlisle is at the point where blood doesn't penetrate his senses anymore. I think they are both show an amazing amount of self control but to make an assumption that they are in anyway the same really isn't fair.

6. Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a 'private mind.' Explain what you think this means. How do you think it works.
I think that Bella's mind is closed because she knows who she is and what she think, she doesn't change her mind to conform. How it works? I dunno it's a tough one but I really do hope we find out. :lol:
[img]http://www.elkevents.com/love.jpg[/img]
My fanfiction Story, I always wondered about Alice, she's one of my favorite characters.<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4188861/1/Throught_the_Eyes_of_Alice_Cullen">Through the Eyes of Alice Cullen</a>
<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4256119/1/Darkest_Night"> Darkest Night, Alice Fan Fic </a>

alsha
Wandering Through Town

Post by alsha »

i also think that Edward has more self control than Carlisle because even though Bella's blood is the best thing ever Edward is able to resist the temptation and love Bella not her blood, and i'm not sure if Carlisle has gone through the same so i'll just agree with Aro

admirallily
Location: In a big white house in the forest by the river. They say vampires live here.

Re: Chapter Twenty-One: Verdict

Post by admirallily »

A: Only some. Not many.

A: Most frightening I think is Aro. I'm not sure you know what to expect from him where as the others seem pretty straightforward.

A: It's definitely all about desires. Aro - despite his years - seems so short sighted. To take something because you want it so badly like that means it won't last forever. Edward however wants it to last forever and beyond. If that makes any sense.

A: I agree with Aro. To avoid blood as they have done is difficult but possible, obviously. But to avoid an even greater temptation would be far more difficult. Still, we've not heard if Carlisle ever came across someone's blood that was so strong to him. But we do know he never once cheated.

A: No clue. I'm interested to know more though.
[img]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/admirallily/17AgainQuotebyAL.gif[/img]
Hee! I crack up every time I see that clip!

Hereandthere
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Hereandthere »

I think I got a few things down. Alice was likely trying to calm Edward with a few of the visions that she was having. Like if Edward planned to try to take down the Volturi down, then Alice would shoot him her vision of him failing and all of them dying which would not be what Edward would want. I also think that Edward was trying to catch her up to date with what was going on and the extent of the danger that they were in.

The underlying fact that he is one of the leaders of the Volturi and that he is deceptive puts a twist on his actions certainly. His "curiousity" becomes prying into his enemies minds and intetions and so on.

They are all pretty frightening and intimidating really. The fact that Marcus and Caius stayed quiet for most of the time gives me the creeps because there's no way to know what they are thinking and Aro being all "welcoming" makes you wonder what his real intentions are.

Well the Volturi don't exactly value human life. I mean when Aro wants to see if his powers work on Bella, he doesn't ask her directly at first, instead he asks Edward. This really showed that Aro and the Volturi really so look at humans as much lesser beings. The way he asked Edward was almost like how you ask someone walking a dog at the park, if you can pet their dog.

Even though Edward is around someone who's blood sings to him, I'm sure that Carlisle being around for such a long time and being around humans so much (being a doctor and all in such large citites as Chicago) that he has run into humans whose blood sang to him. Knowing Carlisle he probably would have taken that as a que to leave and start his human sharade some place else. When Edward says that he doesn't have self-control as Carlisle, he's probably referring to his "rebellious" years when he did kill humans (even if they were "bad") when Carlisle has never once harmed a human. So I would have to agree with Edward on that one.

6. Stephenie has told us that Bella's immunity to certain vampire powers; including Edward's, Aro's and Jane's abilities; Is because she has a "private mind." Explain what you think this means. How do you think it works.

I'm not exactly sure. I think it is because she does not think so much of herself and lacks the sort of arrogance that most people have about themselves. Also because she has had to grow up so quickly mentally and emotionally to deal with her parents and really take care of her mother.
Here, there, and everywhere...that's where you'll find me.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/RaiderCrash89/edward.jpg[/img] [img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/RensFeathers/Random/EdsPeople.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdamLgrH9hM]Check out Twilight for Dummies![/url] :D

elysiepiecie

Post by elysiepiecie »

Probably about what had happened to Bella when Edward was gone and why Alice's vision was accurate. If it wasn't anything that indepth it was probably just Alice telling Edward to relax.

I think it is deceptive just because of the way he uses his gift. He manipulates people into trying to give him what he wants.

They all frighten me, I don't think any vampire stays alive and is in power that long if they're not frightening. I think that we got a better glimpse into Aro than Marcus and Caius, so since the other two are less on the scene it makes me curious into their personalities.

Edward truly cares about Bella, he doesn't care about the ability she may have. Aro's purposes for changing Bella are selfish. I think this shows that Volturi are willing to do anything to advance their power, unlike the Cullens who really don't care about power. The Cullens care more about the individual.

I think the former of the two seems to be more correct. I find it hard to find anyone's self-control stronger than Carlisle since he's in contact with blood everyday. One thing that sticks out into my mind is the fact of how angry Edward got when Bella was being followed in Port Angeles. He was so angry to the point where he almost killed, but he didn't. He was able to calm himself down, with a littlehelp, to avoid doing so.

I think this means that Bella's mind is different from everybodies elses, it has defenses that other people's don't. Therefore other Jasper's and Alice's abilities work on her because their abilities are not mental. Their powers affect the physical outcome of things.