Chapter eighteen: The Funeral

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
nostalgicmiss
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by nostalgicmiss »

1) Have you ever had two friends who hated each other? Did you feel the pressure to choose or take sides?
Oh yes in High school I had two separate groups of friends who loathed one another. They were all understanding that I didn't want to take sides though, the only time it got uncomfortable when both wanted to go out at the same time, it was only then that I had to make a choice. It was hard because you really don't want to hurt anyones feelings.

2) We have had those moments in our life like Bella, where we are faced with the opportunity to bring a friendship to a new level. Did you act on that moment, how did it turn out for you? Or did you let it pass, like Bella did? Did you end up regretting not taking action?
I have had a moment like that but Unlike Bella I never had someone I was in love with occupying 95% of my heart so I was free to make that decision with a free conscience.

3) We all act differently to crisis. In this case Bella was focused on saving Edward from himself, and didn't dwell on the coming danger to herself. Describe a time in your life that you acted for another's safety with out caring for your own.
I don't think I've ever been in a situation like that but I would like to think that if it ever come about I would act as selflessly as Bella did.

4) At this point Romeo and Juliet were screaming at us from the grave, were you panicked? Did you read straight through to the end from here unable to put the book down?
I actually read the entire book for the first time in one sitting... I couldn't put it down regardless... too addictive :wink:

5) Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time verses now. Have they change with time to reflect back and additional reading?
I still like Jacob I am just more adamant that he is not the one for Bella, he complicates things too much and he can be a little selfish, I don't think my opinion has changed too much since the first time reading it, I just think he's a little bratty sometimes.
[img]http://www.elkevents.com/love.jpg[/img]
My fanfiction Story, I always wondered about Alice, she's one of my favorite characters.<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4188861/1/Throught_the_Eyes_of_Alice_Cullen">Through the Eyes of Alice Cullen</a>
<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4256119/1/Darkest_Night"> Darkest Night, Alice Fan Fic </a>

alsha
Wandering Through Town

Post by alsha »

1) Have you ever had two friends who hated each other? Did you feel the pressure to choose or take sides?
no

2) We have had those moments in our life like Bella, where we are faced with the opportunity to bring a friendship to a new level. Did you act on that moment, how did it turn out for you? Or did you let it pass, like Bella did? Did you end up regretting not taking action?
yeah, but like Bella i just letted pass and no i don't regret it

3) We all act differently to crisis. In this case Bella was focused on saving Edward from himself, and didn't dwell on the coming danger to herself. Describe a time in your life that you acted for another's safety with out caring for your own.
i don't want to shear it it's TOO personal :)

4) At this point Romeo and Juliet were screaming at us from the grave, were you panicked? Did you read straight through to the end from here unable to put the book down?
yeah i started reading at like 5pm (i did my hw before that so no one could bother me and tell me to put the book away) and didn't finish reading until 5 am the next day (school day) so i slep in 3 of my classes but i enjoyed the book more than my sleep!!

5) Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time verses now. Have they change with time to reflect back and additional reading?
no they haven't changed

admirallily
Location: In a big white house in the forest by the river. They say vampires live here.

Re: Chapter eighteen: The Funeral

Post by admirallily »

A: Yes but I can't put any of her books down. I stayed up until four am finishing Twilight and New Moon and then I impatiently counted down to Eclipse and then i couldn't put it down either. Literally.

A: I held a lot of bitterness toward him. Still do in ways but slowly I'm softening. It helps when the old Jacob peeks through.
[img]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/admirallily/17AgainQuotebyAL.gif[/img]
Hee! I crack up every time I see that clip!

fantasia
Learning to Love Green

Post by fantasia »

I actually had two best friends, both guys, who were having problems with each other. We were all really close, and I refused to take sides. I'm sure there was a bit of pressure to choose, but it was quite a long time ago now so my memory is fuzzy!

There have been times I acted on the moment, and times I didn't. I will always regret the times I acted, it was never the right choice for me. As you can probably gather, it never turned out well.

I can't say I've ever been in a situation that called for me to do that - yet.

As dramatic as it sounds, I had to put the book down a few times to catch my breath! Anxiety really gets to me when I'm reading these books lol.

5) Tell us your feelings regarding Jacob at the time versus now. Have they changed with time to reflect back and additional reading?

At the time, all I could think about Jacob was GO AWAY!!!! lol. I know he was trying to act in her best interests though, so I'm not too harsh on the guy. My feelings about him haven't really changed much, I see him as the best friend who should stay, and feel comfortable in his place.

NewMoonyay
Settled in Forks

Post by NewMoonyay »

um....this has actually happened 2 me alot. I kind of hang w/ every1 so there are always groups that don't like each other. I refuse 2 take sides though or let them 2 talk bad about each other 2 me.

lol actually @ the time i didn't know thats what was goin on & ignored it. we stayed friends and im glad.

Im a captain so putting my team members first is not really new 2 me. they're r some w/ asthma & bronchitis and we've had a few attacks. its always a little scary.

I totally read through. i was SO HAPPY that Edward had finally came back.

My feeling for Jacob never really changed. I hated him from start to finish and i don' think i'll ever stop hating him.
[img]http://i27.tinypic.com/1692szt.jpg[/img]

Hereandthere
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Hereandthere »

Yes I have actually and it was no fun. Eventually one of the friends would do something too horrible to the other and then I wouldn't have to choose. Usually I just nod along and throw in an mmm-hmm so that I can stay as seperate from the problem as possible but it usually doesn't work too well. :?

At one point yes. I did regret it afterwards but now looking back on it it really wouldn't have mattered. Then again it was never at a level that Bella was with Jake.

I can't really say that I've been in a dire situation where I had to do that. Other than perhaps driving too fast and too far to see someone I cared for who was sick, there isn't much else. I would hope that I could do as Bella did in NM though.

Yes I was quite a bit panicked. There are certain literary devices used and plotlines aht always end the same way or at least very similarly and this was looking too much like Romeo and Juliet. I don't think I took a break at this point though because I most of the book in a day without too much of a break (other than going to class grrr...)

I just keep growing more fond of him. :)
Here, there, and everywhere...that's where you'll find me.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/RaiderCrash89/edward.jpg[/img] [img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/RensFeathers/Random/EdsPeople.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdamLgrH9hM]Check out Twilight for Dummies![/url] :D

elysiepiecie

Post by elysiepiecie »

I have had two friends who have been in a tiff, but they never hated each other. I never felt the pressure to take sides. I knew that both were my friends and that I could be there for both of them without being caught up in the middle of it.

I did not act on the moment. I'm too shy and couldn't bring myself to do it. I did regret not taking action for a while, but I'm over it now.

I have never really had to face a life or death situation like this. Most of my decisions to be there for people mostly involves me being sleep deprived and that is not a huge consequence.

Even the second time reading New Moon had me on pins and needles, even though I knew the outcome couldn't change.

I think Jacob's character had huge potential. I believe that he is such a loving and caring person, but I think his jealousy and confidence got the best of him. I have always felt like this.

atrociousprincess
Learning to Love Green

Post by atrociousprincess »

1. Yes, I've had two friends who really hated each other. I did pick sides, though...unlike some people we know *coughBellacough* I generally try to stay Team Switzerland on things that are likely to blow over though.
2. I've actually never been in a situation like that. Possibly a side effect of only hanging around the gay male contingency...
3. I've never done anything like that.
4. Yes, I was panicked. And I definitely read all the way through from here, but only because I was excited that Edward was back!
5. My feelings toward Jacob have definitely worsened after Eclipse. I actually liked him before he tried to compete with Edward.
[img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/twilight_confession02.png[/img][img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/eclipse_confession06.png[/img] [img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/newmoon_confession12.png[/img][img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/twilight_confession18.png[/img]

jaspersfanpire
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Resurrecting Edward from the book and into real life

Post by jaspersfanpire »

1. Hmm, not that I can remember. But I used to really hate this one girl who was friends with my best friend. I could see that it was painful for my best friend to choose between us. It must have been worse for Bella, considering that she has such special bonds with both Jake and Alice. Neither of them were just a friend to Bella-one is like a sister to her, the other like a comforter.

2. I'm too shy to ever take action in any situation. There has been countless times when I would beat myself up (just in my mind) after an oppurtinity was lost. Sometimes its hard for me to get over my mistakes.

3. Umm...haha actually I can't think of a time like that. I mean when I'm babysitting, I'll do my best to protect the kids/babies at the same time. Nothing major has ever come up so far, but I wouldn't put it past me to go running and save myself, leaving the kids behind.

4. I knew Edward was coming back (I skipped to the back to look), but I definately kept on reading. This was the climax of the book, afterall. It's really hard to put a book down during the most exciting and anticipated part. And when you have a book like New Moon (or eclipse or twilight or breaking dawn or the host :D ), its even harder.

5. I've always hated Jake. And I always will. Theres not a thing he could do (except die maybe :twisted: ) that would waver my opinion of him.
"I was with Edward in my happy place."