Chapter sixteen: Paris

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
Hereandthere
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Hereandthere »

1. Should Bella confide in Jacob about Edward, her hallucinations, and her depression?

Yes and no. She needs to confide her feelings and depression to someone and Jacob being the only person really close to her would be it. But I don't think she would need to go too much into her hallucinations because Jake would likely take it the wrong way almost like he won't get out of her head for anything and that she sort of used Jacob to here his voice and that would hurt him.

2. Would it be settling for Bella to hook up with Jacob? Should Bella try to find happiness with Jacob even if she can only give him part of her heart?

I wouldn't really consider it as settling becauause it wasn't like Edward like Edward was right there available for her and she chose not to pursue him. He decided to move on (or so he wants Beal to believe) so she wouldn't be settling if she went with someone else. However, it would be unfair to Jake if she did. He would deserve to have someone who is "whole" and not having to continuely "fix" her. Relationships are supposed to be about both sides giving and recieving.

3. What about Jacob? He loves Bella despite her strictly platonic feelings towards him, but should he wait out for someone who loves him as much as he loves Bella?

I'm a bit torn on this. Even though he loves Bella so much, he can never have that love truly returned to him but if he waits, he may never find anyone that he feels for that strongly. But Bella is with Edward and such so Jake does need to move on and hopefully he will find someone for him eventually. I just want him to be happy. (Sorry I brought in a bit of Eclipse there sorry)

4. How do we factor in the fact that Bella now owes Jacob her life both physically and emotionally?

It really makes everything much more complicated than before because it isn't like she can cut off completely from him after something like that.

5. Is Romeo and Juliet's relationship similar to Edward and Bella's? How is it and how does it differ?

Seeing that neither is willing to live without the other, that is certainly a similarity. Also the fact that it is seemingly rushed. Yes I know that several months for a relationship is a decent length of time but the way they are around each other does seem like it's been more than that or at least should be. I don't know much about any differences though.

6. Should Bella have chosen to investigate Carlisle's car? Is her relationship with the Cullens masochistic?

I hadn't really thought of it as being masochistic before but now that i think about it, it is a bit. She knows that she can't be around them anymore and that if one of the Cullens is there it's only going to lead to her gettting hurt again once they leave.

7. How does Bella and Jacob's relationship compare with Bella and Edward's? Which one is "healthier"?

Bella and Jacob are much more rough then Edward and Bella but it obviously isn't the same level of intensity. I think that Jacob would have been "healthier" for her because of the fact that he is indeed human and she compares him to the suna and not as a drug. And even though an addict can only stay away from a drug for so long before running back to it, it is not as healthy if the addict were able to quit and enjoy the natural highs (the sun) of the world.
Here, there, and everywhere...that's where you'll find me.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/RaiderCrash89/edward.jpg[/img] [img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/RensFeathers/Random/EdsPeople.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdamLgrH9hM]Check out Twilight for Dummies![/url] :D

elysiepiecie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by elysiepiecie »

1. Should Bella confide in Jacob about Edward, her hallucinations, and her depression?
I think Bella has already confided in Jacob about her depression whether she knows it or not. Jacob is not oblivious to the fact that she is not happy. As to her hallucinations and her feelings about Edward, that is a different situation. I think she has made it clear to him that she still cares about Edward, but the extint to how much seemed not to be clear to Jacob.
2. Would it be settling for Bella to hook up with Jacob? Should Bella try to find happiness with Jacob even if she can only give him part of her heart?
I don't think it would be settling for Bella to end up with Jacob. Her heart belongs to Edward. I understand that he is there for her, but he is kind of like the rebound. It's not the same.

3. What about Jacob? He loves Bella despite her strictly platonic feelings towards him, but should he wait out for someone who loves him as much as he loves Bella?
I think that Jacob needs to give up. There is a point when someone just has to accept defeat. It's not easy realizing the one you love is not in love with you. I think that his time would be better spent finding someone new.

4. How do we factor in the fact that Bella now owes Jacob her life both physically and emotionally?
I think it is a big turning point in their relationship. No matter what happens between the two, there will always be the connections between them because of this.

5. Is Romeo and Juliet's relationship similar to Edward and Bella's? How is it and how does it differ?
It is similar because they are star-crossed lovers. They are not meant to be together, but against all odds they are. I am hoping that the relationships differ in that Edward and Bella will be able to be together happily in the end.

6. Should Bella have chosen to investigate Carlisle's car? Is her relationship with the Cullens masochistic?
Of course Bella should have chosen to investigate Carlisle car. I think she would have kicked herself if she didn't. I don't think her relationship with the Cullens is masochistic. You can't help who you get along with and who you love.

7. How does Bella and Jacob's relationship compare with Bella and Edward's? Which one is 'healthier' ?
I think that Bella and Jacob's relationship is healthier for Bella. She is not in as deep with Jacob as she is with Edward. But I do think that Edward's relationship is the source of her happiness. It's a tough question'both have their pros and cons. I'm definitely for the Bella and Edward relationship though.

atrociousprincess
Learning to Love Green

Post by atrociousprincess »

1. I guess, if she was really going to settle down with Jacob and possibly spend the rest of her life with him, she should have told him. It would only be fair for Jacob to realize how, literally, crazy she is for Edward.
2. It wouldn't be settling if she hooked up with Jacob. She should try to find happiness with Jacob. First of all, he would be ecstatic to have any part of Bella's heart. Second, she owes it to Edward to move on and be happy with someone else.
3. Yes, Jacob's a good guy and he should hold it for someone who loves him more...or wait and find someone who he loves more.
4. Oh, I never thought of it that way, so I guess it doesn't factor in at all for me :lol:
5. Yes, of course their relationship is similar to Romeo and Juliet's because it is true love. And as we learn from Shakespeare (and Stephenie Meyer who makes us obsessively reread A Midsummer Night's Dream) "The course of true love never did run smooth". I'm hoping that the end will be better for Edward and Bella.
6. Bella should definitely have investigated when she saw the car. And her relationship with the Cullens is slightly masochistic, but it's the best one that she's ever known (there's a sad thought).
7. The obvious answer would be that Bella and Jacob's relationship is healthier because she doesn't rely on him so much. However, Bella and Edward's relationship is so unhealthily intense that she can't be healthy without him. I mean, she's become schizophrenic!
[img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/twilight_confession02.png[/img][img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/eclipse_confession06.png[/img] [img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/newmoon_confession12.png[/img][img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/twilight_confession18.png[/img]

jaspersfanpire
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Resurrecting Edward from the book and into real life

Post by jaspersfanpire »

When I first began this chapter I was angry that Bella would be going to Paris. But, I was soon relieved.

1. Her depression was already pretty clear. But I do think Jake should've known about her hallucinations. I wonder if Jake ever found out about them? Probably not.

2. I thought Bella had a right to move on and be happy, just not with Jake. If she wanted to go be happy with Mike instead, that would have been okay. Besides, Jake deserves to have someone love them with all of their heart, and be completley devoted to him and only him.

3. Right now all he wants is Bella, and he can't imagine waiting out for someone else. He's young, stupid, and preoccupied. Its kind of ridiculous of him to think that Bella would ever get over Edward, though.

4. I don't think Jake was expecting her to repay him in any way. He did those things out of love. He probably didn't think Bella owed him anything.

5. I've never read Romeo and Juliet, so I can't honestly say.

6. It would have been smart of her to investigate his car, but she was just so overwhelmed with happiness and hope that she couldn't have been able to think straight.

7. Bella and Jake don't love each other as much as Bella and Edward do. Their commitment to each other is questionable, whereas Bella and Edward are 100 percent sure about each other. Personally, neither of those relationships is very healthy, but I think Edward and Bella's is healthier. Edward can protect Bella as human better than Jake can. As a vampire, Bella couldn't be more healthier considering they can't get sick.
"I was with Edward in my happy place."