Chapter Thirteen: Killer

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
Hereandthere
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Hereandthere »

1. There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved?

I honestly don't think any of the problems were resolved and they were still there even through Eclipse. Bella has to choose between Edward and Jake and at this point she is unsure and even when she chooses Edward because his life is in danger, it does not mean that her conflict was near over. Jacob wants to be with Bella even though he knows that she loves someone else but he really isn't a quitter I guess you could say.

2. Jacob told Bella she could call him if she doesn't want to see him again. Bella considers this option, but chooses to go to La Push for a face-to-face conversation. What emotions are they feeling throughout this chapter and how do those emotions change?

They both have a great misunderstanding of one another. Jake thinks that Bella is going to hate him for being a werewolf and not want to be near a "freak" while Bella thinks he's a killer and doesn't know how she is going to handel her best friend being a murderer.

3. We learn that Jacob and the other werewolves can hear each others' thoughts regardless of whether or not they want to share their thoughts. When there are in wolf form. Since the pack members don't choose each other, some of them haven't been close, yet now they are sharing thoughts. How do you think that feels for Jacob and the other wolves?

Well it certainly brings them together quite quickly. I'm sure it was uncomfortable at first but afterwards they would get used to it and knowing anyone's thoughts like that you can not help but become close to them and they do refer to one another as brothers because they really are like family.

4. Jacob tells us that the change was the most horrible, terrifying thing he's ever been through. Since Stephenie has told us in the personal correspondence that the pain is not physical, why do you think Jacob describes the change in this way?

I think it's the shock and the feeling that you have lost control of everything around you. Mental anguish and shock is worse than any physical pain. And the thought that he had that he almost attacked his father probably haunted him for a while and he likely had the fear that he may lose control around someone else he cares about all rushing through him at one time.
Here, there, and everywhere...that's where you'll find me.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/RaiderCrash89/edward.jpg[/img] [img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/RensFeathers/Random/EdsPeople.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdamLgrH9hM]Check out Twilight for Dummies![/url] :D

elysiepiecie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by elysiepiecie »

1. There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved?
I do not think that Bella nor Jacob's internal conflictis ever really resolved. They both have deep feelings for each other. Bella does not want to hurt Jacob by holding on to Edward, yet she does. Jacob does not want to hurt Bella, but he continually does.

2.Jacob told Bella she could call him if she doesn't want to see him again. Bella considers this option, but chooses to go to La Push for a face-to-face conversation. What emotions are they feeling throughout this chapter and how do those emotions change?
I think there are a lot of complicated things going on here. Bella and Jacob don't know what to think of one another. Both are afraid to lose their best friend.

3.We learn that Jacob and the other werewolves can hear each others' thoughts regardless of whether or not they want to share their thoughts. When there are in wolf form. Since the pack members don't choose each other, some of them haven't been close, yet now they are sharing thoughts. How do you think that feels for Jacob and the other wolves?
I think for Jacob it puts a lot on the line. The whole pack knows how he feels about Bella and can sense how she feels about the Cullens. I think this special feature of being a werewolf is something that you'd have to get used to and you'd eventually learn to guard your most personal thoughts. With that said, I think until the young werewolves figure out how to do that, it will be an uncomfortable experience for them all.

4.Jacob tells us that the change was the most horrible, terrifying thing he's ever been through. Since Stephenie has told us in the personal correspondence that the pain is not physical, why do you think Jacob describes the change in this way?
Because mentally it has to be exhausting. You're used to one way of life and that is swept out from underneath you.

atrociousprincess
Learning to Love Green

Post by atrociousprincess »

1. Both Bella and Jacob's momentary internal conflicts are resolved. Bella learns that Jacob isn't a murderer and is justified in warning him about hunters. Jacob doesn't have to worry about breaking the rules and telling Bella and she still wants to remain friends with him. However, the two still have other internal conflicts that are left unresolved. Jacob (hopefully) is concerned that being around Bella is dangerous for her. Bella is, of course, still unsure if she wants to take things further with Jake and that conflict between them is left unresolved. As for Jacob and Alice...wait Alice hasn't come back yet :P , anyway their conflict will probably always be there, as they are natural enemies (who knows what will happen in BD though?)
2. Hmm...well, I suppose they're both sad and frustrated because they don't want to lose each other. Bella is confused about whether should want to be friends with Jake. They're relieved when they settle things, then both terrified when they realize what's going on with Victoria.
3. As we learn later, it's annoying and frustrating to not be able to keep any secrets. I think, generally, it allows them to be closer to each other and it can probably help out occasionally.
4. Because, it probably takes a huge toll on you mentally. Jake was discovering that he was a monster and he probably was unable to stop himself from spontaneously becoming a giant, mutant wolf. Not to mention having to deal with the fact that he was abandoning his remaining human friends, he wasn't aging anymore, he no longer had any secrets, he was ruining all his clothes (that probably didn't bother him, but it would bother me), he was suddenly expected to fight vampires and his own father hadn't bothered to warn him about all of this.
[img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/twilight_confession02.png[/img][img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/eclipse_confession06.png[/img] [img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/newmoon_confession12.png[/img][img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/twilight_confession18.png[/img]

jaspersfanpire
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Resurrecting Edward from the book and into real life

Post by jaspersfanpire »

1. I really don't think they were resolved then. Those conflicts continued to exist throughout the third book.

2. Yeah, they are both just under misunderstandings. Jake thinks Bella hates him for being a wolf, and Bella isn't sure if she likes the fact that Jake and his friends are murderers. But things get cleared up eventually.

3. I bet it would suck, having everyone know every embarassing and personal thing about you. But on the otherhand, they are all sort of like brothers and they care for each other so in a way it might feel right and like they should know each other's secrets.

4. He didn't know what was going on and he was scared. If one night I morphed into a wolf, I would be terrified, too. I would have no idea what to do, and I would probably think that I was crazy or dreaming. I imagine Jake felt similarly.
"I was with Edward in my happy place."