Chapter Seven: Repetition

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
Edward
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Edward »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be 'absolutely free'"unthinking and utterly irresponsible?' OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?

I think it was a mixture of several things. For one thing, she wanted to hear Edward's voice again and thought there was a good change that she would hear him while doing something as stupid and dangerous as cliff diving. Apart from that I guess she just wanted to feel free and not having to think anymore -at least for a little while.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?

Billy didn't tell Jacob because he wasn't sure that it would happen to him at all. Now that the vampires were away, the young men of the tribe shouldn't have become werewolves any longer. Billy probably thought that Jacob was safe. And even if Billy had told him I wonder whether Jacob would have believed him as long as he did not really experience it himself.
I don't think knowing in advance would have made things easier for Jacob.

3)Another albino comment is made, not by Bella this time but by Jacob.
'I've never seen anyone paler than you except for---,' Jacob says.
Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the 'light' side and the 'dark' side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or' something else?

For Jacob it seems to be a sign that Bella spent too much time with the Cullens. Maybe he is afraid that she has been sort of poisoned by them. It maybe just reminds him of Bella being together with Edward and he doesn't like that. I guess he is worried for Bella as well as worried about whether she will ever get back to normal again.

4)Bella calls Jacob her 'fix' on page 162. A 'fix' is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Do you think he will continue to be her fix throughout 'Eclipse' if something upsets her about Edward?

As Bella didn't expect Edward to ever come back, she probably thought that the friendship between her and Jacob will last. She doesn't have anyone else anymore and I don't think she realized that this relationship might come to an end.
I am not sure if he will continue to be her fix in "Eclipse". For me it looks as if their friendship was over, at least for a while and I don't think Edward would allow Bella to continue being friends with Jacob. If something upsets her about Edward, she might wish for Jacob to be there again, but I doubt that he will.
"I was a predator. She was my prey. There was nothing else in the world but that truth. I was a vampire and she had the sweetest blood I'd smelled in eighty years." [size=67]Midnight Sun[/size]

[color=darkred]Edward Cullen - only a vampire can love you forever[/color]

t1gr355
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by t1gr355 »

Edward wrote:4)Bella calls Jacob her 'fix' on page 162. A 'fix' is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Do you think he will continue to be her fix throughout 'Eclipse' if something upsets her about Edward?

As Bella didn't expect Edward to ever come back, she probably thought that the friendship between her and Jacob will last. She doesn't have anyone else anymore and I don't think she realized that this relationship might come to an end.
I am not sure if he will continue to be her fix in "Eclipse". For me it looks as if their friendship was over, at least for a while and I don't think Edward would allow Bella to continue being friends with Jacob. If something upsets her about Edward, she might wish for Jacob to be there again, but I doubt that he will.
I don't know ... I don't think she'll be happy to let go of Jacob that easily. She's very stubborn - she can't see a good enough reason why they shouldn't still be friends.

Maybe this should be on the Eclipse board, but I'm worried that Edward and Bella will have a big argument about this, and Bella will go to Jacob for comfort, giving Edward the wrong idea completely.

But we know Edward's not going anywhere, so it's OK. :)
[i]Per aspera ad astra.[/i]

I have trouble with coherence. Please bear with me.

(P.S. For ease of mind and/or typing, please feel free to call me t1g.)

amoredward
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by amoredward »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be 'absolutely free'"unthinking and utterly irresponsible?' OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?

I think that she did just want to hear Edward's voice again. Maybe, though, she just wanted to do it as a way of 'letting go' of everything that she was holding on to'"with the memories of Edward and all'

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why they were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?

I think that it might have been for the best that Jacob didn't know about the werewolves because maybe then he would realize what was going on with him and he might have stayed away from Bella when she first tried to make contact with him. Hmm' that doesn't make any sense to me'"what I just wrote'

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the 'light' side and the 'dark' side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or' something else?

I think that Jacob didn't intentionally sort of bring up the Cullens. But I think that when he did, he looked at the way she reacted to the name. It showed him that she was still just as torn up about it as she ever was.

4)Bella calls Jacob her 'fix' on page 162. A 'fix' is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Do you think he will continue to be her fix throughout 'Eclipse' if something upsets her about Edward?

I think that she was unconsciously growing very close to Jacob. And I don't see how she could be expecting to leave him any time soon. I think that Jake will still be very prominent in Eclipse. How, though, I'm not sure' Why is August so far away?!?!?!
[img]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/MMarieB_bucket/winning%20bet%20banners/amoredwards.gif[/img]

[img]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x170/amoredward/Twilight%20Banner%20and%20Other/theairsun.jpg[/img]

Lovely janner (Jake-banner, for all you silly coneheads!) by LovesTwilightx3!!!

letyoudown
Wandering Through Town

Post by letyoudown »

I think the majority of it was that she wanted to hear Edward's voice and be "absolutely free", but I also think she wouldn't have minded if her body had been broken against the rocks or if she had drowned. Because, even though she had Jacob in her life at this point, she was still living a half-life. She was still depressed, and I think that, even if she wasn't consciously thinking about killing herself, that it was there.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?
I don't think he would have believed it. He hadn't believed Billy beforehand, so why should he then?

3)Another albino comment is made, not by Bella this time but by Jacob.'I've never seen anyone paler than you except for---,' Jacob says.Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the 'light' side and the 'dark' side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or' something else?
I think that it was an innocent comment, but it also showed the reader how... Bella had become without the Cullen's. I don't think that Jake had any real meaning behind it.

I think that Bella realizes it. I think that she also accepts it, to a point. And, as I've already read Eclipse, I think that he still IS her temporary fix.
<i>I'd wait till we were close enough to the ground, get a good grip on you, kick out the wall, and jump. Then I'd run you back to the scene of the accident, and we'd stumble around like the two luckiest survivors in history.<i>
- Eclipse

Sansa
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Sansa »

Both things. Because she was tired of the pain, of the life, of the meaningless of everything.

I think it would have been better for him to be told at the beginning, but it wasn't Billy's fault.

I think that was because Jacob was furious and wanted to say it. Or because Stephenie wanted us to see that Bella was physically worse than before.

I think that Bella realized about how deep the friendship with Jacob was, and I saw it coming, that Eclipse had something related to it.
"Unfortunately, the clock is ticking, the hours are going by. The past increases, the future recedes. Possibilities decreasing, regrets mounting."

iheartedcullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter Seven: Repetition

Post by iheartedcullen »

I think it was a little bit of all of the above.

No, he would have just thought it was more fairy tales. I think Jacob had to see to believe.

*I* think it was to remind us that she belongs with Edward.

I think he is her fall back plan. I think she was hoping to keep him around as long as she didn't have Edward.

Edward<3
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Edward<3 »

I think she just wanted to hear Edward's voice again.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why they were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?

no. he didnt believe those stories so how could he believe the truth?

innocent comment on Jacob's part. nothing more to it.

no. its probably not going to be only temporary. although Jacob does not like Edward that doesnt mean he cant be there for Bella.
"Tell me what you want, and you can have it."
"You," I mumbled almost incoherently.
"I'm yours."

Valentine
Settled in Forks

Post by Valentine »

I think that it truly is the most reckless promise breaking that she could come up with. When she says "A date with Jacob, a date with Edward", I think this is maybe showing her inner conflict with her two loves. She doesn't want to let Edward go, but at the same time she is trying to connect with Jacob. The imagery of this scene makes you believe that she is setting herself free.

He did tell him in a round about way through the legends, but Jacob really had to see to believe.

I kept thinking it was because she was so depressed that her appearance had changed to him. I didn't even consider that he might be making a vampire comment, I don't think that he would have realized it at this point.

Bella was trying to make herself feel better, because after a while you just have to do what ever it takes to make you feel like you aren't dead anymore. She just wants Jacob to be her friend, but I think that she would choose Jacob if Edward didn't exist. I hope that he won't be her fix throughout Eclispe, just because I don't think it is fair to Jacob, knowing how much he likes, or loves Bella.

Loves~Golden~Eyed~Boys!
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Loves~Golden~Eyed~Boys! »

I think she wanted to try it because it was something Edward would never think Bella would do. I don't know why I think this, I just do. Maybe because she just needed to sort of get away. When I first read it, I sort of thought that she was kind of unconsciously actually trying to kill herself, but I don't anymore.

I think Jacob could have handled things a lot better if Billy had told him. I would expect my father to tell me something that important. But I also think Billy wanted to save him from the truth if it was at all possible.

I've actually never thought about it like that. I thought it was just Jacob being Jacob.

I don't think Bella knows it will be temporary, or at least she doesn't acknowledge it. She thinks Jacob is the one thing that is keeping her from going insane, and she doesn't want to think about what will happen if he goes away.

And, having read Eclipse, I think Jacob is less of a fix to Bella, and more of just a insanely close friend. She doesn't want to lose him still, but because she loves him, not because she needs him.
Can't get enough of the amazing-ness that is me? Check me out at:

[url]http://www.myspace.com/holli_waffles[/url]

[url]http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1254526/Holli-Loves-Edward[/url]

MelodyBelle87
Settled in Forks

Post by MelodyBelle87 »

I think that Bella wanted to hear Edward's voice again, and cliff diving seemed like something dangerous enough that she would hear his voice.

I think Billy knew that Jacob wouldn't take him seriously, and that's why he didn't tell him. He would have to go through the process himself in order to believe.

I'm not exactly sure what to make of this comment. It seems innocent enough, but maybe it will imply something more later on in the series.

I think Bella is just telling herself that he is her fix without realizing that she is slowly falling for him and realizing how important he is to her.
I have found my Edward. June 7, 2008
"You are exactly my brand of heroin."
"I punched a werewolf in the face."