Chapter Seven: Repetition

Our chapter by chapter discussion of New Moon.
Isabella Cullen

Post by Isabella Cullen »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be 'absolutely free'"unthinking and utterly irresponsible?' OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?

I don't think that Bella had any other reason to go cliff diving anymoreso than she did to ride the motorcycle. This girl was all about the extreme sports, as Alice said. ^_^;;
I do think though that hearing Edward's voice was an added bonus to her actions. The whole "being absolutely free, unthinking and utterly irresponsible" thing makes perfect sense to me. Bella wanted to be able to "break" her promise too, since she felt that Edward had already broken his. Besides, hanging out with Jacob made her more daring, I think. It almost seemed that in going cliff diving, she was telling the world that she was going to be making her own decisions from now on.
Character growth rocks. XD

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?

I think that Billy withheld that information for a good reason. I think that he somehow knew about Jacob "breaking the treaty" by telling Bella about the Cullens, so he stayed tight-lipped about what was going on with Sam and the rest of the gang.

3)Another albino comment is made, not by Bella this time but by Jacob.
'I've never seen anyone paler than you except for---,' Jacob says.
Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the 'light' side and the 'dark' side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or' something else?

Heh, yeah I thought that this was interesting. I thought that she might have been slipping further and further into the void at that point. It might have been a slight reference to how close Bella had gotten to becoming part of the Cullen's family.
I'm honestly not sure.

4)Bella calls Jacob her 'fix' on page 162. A 'fix' is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Do you think he will continue to be her fix throughout 'Eclipse' if something upsets her about Edward?

You know, when I read that I thought that Bella was just "rebounding" with Jacob, but not taking her relationship any further than just friendship. I think though that with time Bella will come to see that her relationship with Jacob is nothing more than just a friend's support and concern. She might not be as close to him in Eclipse because Edward is back and since Jacob has chosen his side already her contact with him might be slim to none. I wish that it would end differently. Jacob was such a dear friend to her in New Moon, but since then, its not just Jacob that has undergone a lot of change. Bella has too. Because of that, I don't think their relationship will ever be the same.
If Bella gets upset during Eclipse, I KNOW that Alice and the rest of the Cullens will be there to back her up. Jake might jump the gun and try to snag any opportunity that he can to get closer with Bella if he learns that Edward has upset her. But he'll have to compete with Alice in the Best Friend category. :mrgreen:

Asian*Bella
Wandering Through Town
Location: Somewhere trying to convince my Husband and son to move to Forks.

Post by Asian*Bella »

1)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be 'absolutely free'"unthinking and utterly irresponsible?' OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?

I think Bella decided to try cliff diving, not only because of the voice she heard & to break the promise but because she felt like she felt nothing. If she jumped then she would be able to remember how the adrenaline felt like running through her like when Edward was with her. To be able to feel alive even for just a moment.

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why the were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?

I think Billy didn't tell Jacob because Jacob wouldn't believe it anyway. Jacob thought it was just a silly old tale and then have his father come out and say, "hey it is true and you are going to turn into a werewolf too" probably wouldn't sit well with Jacob. Jacob would have probably hated Billy more if he told him what was going to happen earlier. Then, Jacob would have to go through every minute wondering if he was going to change, very stressful. I think Jacob did a very good job holding it together considering the situation. If he was told at the beginning then the story wouldn't have unfolded the way it did. The whole book would have left out Jacob and Bella's relationship.

Why do you think Bella's paleness is mentioned yet again? Is it a comparison between the 'light' side and the 'dark' side, an innocent comment on Jacob's part or' something else?

I think the comment wasn't too innocent because it was coming from Jacob, knowing the tale of the bloodsuckers, he was hinting at Bella kind of looking like one of them. Other than that I think he was mentioning it just because she was abnormally paler than others.

4)Bella calls Jacob her 'fix' on page 162. A 'fix' is something to make you feel temporarily better in regards to your physical or emotional health. Do you think Bella realizes that her close friendship with Jacob, throughout the first ¾ of the book, might only be temporary? Do you think he will continue to be her fix throughout 'Eclipse' if something upsets her about Edward?

I think Bella thought that the "fix" would be temporary at the beginning but because their relationship ended up deeper than she imagined she wanted it to be permanent, she really thought Edward wasn't going to come back, so why not be permanent. I think he will continue to be a "fix" but maybe in a different way now that Edward is back, but it will be a struggle because her heart is stuck between mortal enemies.

Edward+BellaFan93
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Edward+BellaFan93 »

I think the main reason was that she wanted to hear Edward's voice.

I think Billy didn't tell Jacob because basically Jacob might not believe him or he'd just get upset.

Well I really don't know but maybe Jacob was meaning that it was strange how Bella was almost becoming just like the Cullen's before....?

I thought that Bella would remain really close with Jacob throughout the book since she really has no one else to hang out with now. I don't really think Jacob will continue to be her "fix" in Eclipse because things will be really weird between them since Edward and Jacob hate each other.
*I Love Edward Cullen!*
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/tara_176biz/Dir20en20Grey26.jpg[/img]

Kissa
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Re: Chapter Seven: Repetition

Post by Kissa »

I think the cliff-diving had nothing to do with hearing Edward's voice, not at first anyways. I think it was the whole deal about not being the only one keeping the promise anymore. Cliff-diving would be a reckless thing to do - exactly what Bella was looking for at this point! Later, however, I believe hearing Edward's voice became the more prominent reason for her longing to jump from that cliff.

Billy wouldn't tell Jacob because it wouldn't have been a wise thing to do. Such a shock could have caused Jake to snap and become a werewolf himself earlier, or it could cause him to think his Dad was a nut.
If he had been told at the beginning of NM, I don't think he would have handled it well at all. It is not only Bella that grows and matures a lot more in NM, Jacob does too. And at the beginning of the book he just wasn't mature or, for lack of a better word, experienced enough to handle it.

I never thought much about that actually, and it's a hard question to answer.
I think it was an innocent comment on Jacob's part. At this point he still haven't developed the vehemence he feels later when he finds out all about the Cullens (and himself), and therefore has no reason to make crude marks about it. He knows the Cullens left, yes, and he's not happy about that because of what it did to Bella. But no, at this point I think it was a fairly innocent remark. On Stephenie's part, on the other hand, it could very easily have been a comparison between light and dark, but why then is Jacob the dark side? He's the most innocent, loving person, so he would, IMO, be the light side in that case. Aaah, this is getting confusing.. :?

I don't think she counted on her fix only being temporary at all. She believed she'd never see Edward again, and therefore I believe she wanted Jake to always be there for her, to always brighten her day and mood, always fix her when she was broken.
I think Bella and Jake will have contact in Eclipse, but to which extent I'm not sure. Surely he can't be her fix in the same way as he used to, but if Bella is upset because of Edward I'm sure she'll find a way to go to Jake and he will brighten her up and make her feel better, cus that's just the kind of good guy he is.
[url=http://www.ramblingsandthoughts.com/twilight/viewstory.php?sid=252][img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q89/Kissa001/Banner-avie/KissaandCocoa.jpg[/img][/url]

Paulina x
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Paulina x »

i think that she wanted to be very dangerous and that Edward is always saving her, so to her it could have been a way to bring Edward back.... because i feel like Bella never truly 100% belived that he had gone away... i think there was that like 10% or so that was saying he's not really gone.

I think Billy wasn't "allowed" to tell Jacob, because if it is an ancient tradition then it probably has rules as to who/when/what you do when its time.. or almost time to change. OR, like others have said, that Billy wasn't sure if it was going to happen. Jake, probably would have handled it worse because he might have had stress, or even disbelif and he could have believed his father was crazy.

i think it is just a reference to how much time Bella spends with the Cullens and since we all know how jelous Jacob is of Edward, i think he just said it as a reference that she spends to much time with the Cullens and not enough with him. or something like that.

I think she was just mentioning that while she IS very close to Jake, the she still loves Edward, and that Jacob is almost "temporary" in a sense of she wasn't really thinking of them as a couple... YET. of course she could change her mind later.
[color=yellow]<center>[b][[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1206689/]my fanfic's[/url]][[url=http://z7.invisionfree.com/vesperarium/index.php?showtopic=81]me @ vesperarium[/url]][[url=http://periwinklepulse.livejournal.com/]livejournal[/url]][/b]
[img]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u29/DeppAddict21/eb2.png[/img][img]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u29/DeppAddict21/eb5.png[/img][img]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u29/DeppAddict21/eb4.png[/img]<center>[/color]

moonlite_fari
Settled in Forks

Post by moonlite_fari »

i think that she wanted to be as reckless as possible. so she could break her promise that she made to edward.
she wanted to hear his voice.

i don't think jacob would have belived it. but if they showed him then he would be forced to belive. then i think he is mature enough and could handle it.

i thought it was totally innocent. bella was probably paler than usual because she's upset so much and jacob wanted to say so.

yes.
absolutly. jacob is defiantly not a character that is going away. he is to stong to be pushed aside by edward. bella will work him bak into her life. jacob is to important. bella wold not however, chose jacob over edward. but jacob is not going away, ever. he is a permanent character.

~`moonlite_fari
[size=134]twilight[i]; my reality[/i][/size]
[size=84][if only. if only][/size]

[img]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/moonlite_fari/adward.png[/img]
Edward Cullen
My EXACT Brand Of Heroin<3

[img]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/moonlite_fari/JacobBlack1.jpg[/img]
Jacob Black
My SUN on Earth*

[i]~`moonlite_fari[/i]

Sully
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter Seven: Repetition

Post by Sully »

Alphie wrote:These questions were provided for us from Jazziegeorgie.

I think Bella felt desperate. Life had been continuing in this indefinite mode for a while: she was spending all her time at La Push, hiding from Victoria; waiting to have Jacob to spend time with; she was trying to figure out some resolution to her feelings towards Jacob--should she move on with him or not. That sense of desperation, of being suspended on the edge of knife just waiting for something to push her over either edge, became too much. She needed to do something, anything, to change the status quo of her life.
I don't believe she put too much thought into the potential consequences of her plunge off the cliff (i.e. was this suicidal or not), but she did suspect that she would at least get to hear Edward's voice again, and that had to be worth everything in this state of pure suspension.

I've puzzled over this question myself. That seems like something a parent might do because he or she fears their child "can't handle" the truth. Not being a parent myself, I don't know if that's the case, but that's kind of what it sounds like to me.
Another thing is, would Jacob even have believed Billy? Jake didn't believe his dad regarding the legends of the vampires, so maybe he wouldn't have believed that about Sam, either.
Finally, maybe Billy was under some covenant-type thing, like with the Cullens, and he couldn't break it by talking about it with anyone outside that pledge.

I really think this is a subtle indication of what is to come for Bella. Stephenie seems to have a long-range vision of where her story is going, so she's able to make little comments here and there which point to the end result. A lot of seemingly random comments end up having greater significance in the long run, looking back over the whole story.
During most of New Moon, I see Bella as living as much in the moment as possible. I don't see her making long-range plans at this point because it probably hurts too much to see very far down the road, to imagine a lifetime of no Edward. So, yeah, Jake is a fix for the moment that Bella is trying to survive. She knows it is temporary because he will have to go home again, or she will, and her pain or numbness will be there waiting for her.
I don't see Jake being a fix for Bella in the same way again. I don't believe Edward will ever leave again, or at least not in a way that makes Bella believe he's gone for good. Even if Edward upsets Bella, I don't think she'd use Jake to comfort her because I don't think she'll be in that kind of despair again. I see her desiring to find a way to connect with Jake, to continue the friendship she'd built with him , despite all the obstacles in the way now.
Sully
"There's what you plan for, and then there's what happens next."

Heart Song
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: brushing out the burrs and tangles from Jacob's coat

Post by Heart Song »

Bella was looking for ways to be reckless in a place that was seamingly the safest place in the world. She was hoping it would be another way to "hear" Edward. She was also trying to rid herself of an obligation to Edward. If she broke her promise it was a way to free herself from Edward's bond.

This secrecy thing has really bothered me. I suppose Billy wanted things to be normal for Jacob for as long as possible and, from the comment on p. 178, hoped that he wouldn't change. "In a few years, if you don't...well, I'll explain later."
Come on girls, this would have been like not knowing about your period before it happened the first time. No wonder Jacob is terrified.

I took it as one of those "open mouth-insert foot" moments. The kind when you say something that would have better been left unsaid. The fact that Jacob catches himself was to give us a glimps of how aware he is of Bella's feelings and his sensitivity towards her.

In this chapter Bella is looking at Jacob as a temporary means to block the intense pain she is experiencing. She doesn't want to admit to herself that she is using him. I don't think that she would be able to use him as a "fix" in Eclips. Her feelings towards Jacob have become real by the time we come to Eclips and he is no longer a means to an end.
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/ouisa/truth-1.jpg[/img]
banner by the incomparable ~ ouisa

[url=http://www.ramblingsandthoughts.com/twilight/viewuser.php?uid=1248]Tw Stories by Heart Song[/url] & [url=http://www.thehostlibrary.com/thelibrary/viewuser.php?uid=11]A Host story[/url]
adultae lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis

jenn_1314
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenn_1314 »

I think she knew there would be a small chance that she would die. But her need to hear Edward's voice was so strong she looked for ways to be reckless. I doubt she wanted to be "absolutely free".

2)Why wouldn't Billy tell Jacob what was going on with Sam, and Jacob's friends? (as to why they were acting strangely). Do you feel Jacob could've handled and understood the truth if he was told at the beginning of New Moon?

I think he would've thought Billy was going a bit crazy; to him they were just stories. It probably was better to let him find out on his own.

To be honest with you, I think he made it as an innocent remark to begin with, but then it seemed like he was doing it on purpose, reminding her that the Cullens left her but he was still here. He didn't want it to hurt her, he just wanted to make a point that he'll always be there for her.

I doubt it. She obviously didn't think about what would happen later; she didn't think Edward would come back. At the moment, Jacob was all she had.
[img]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/jenn_1314/vesper%20graphics/is-beauty-monstrous.jpg[/img]
[size=167][color=gray]We are the Cullen Muffin Family![/color][/size]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/redrose1314]Myspace[/url] | [url=http://tourmalinemisery.deviantart.com]DeviantArt[/url]

blueray1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by blueray1 »

)Why did Bella want to try cliff diving? Do you think it was because she wanted to hear Edward's voice again or she wanted to be 'absolutely free'"unthinking and utterly irresponsible?' OR do you think there was another, deeper issue?

i think that she partly wanted to hear Edward again, but also to do something that she wouldn't ever do before.

i think billy was partually swarn to secretcy and he was hoping that maybe it won't happen to jake, even though he knew that he was doomed. if he had told jake that he was a werewolf before he turned, i don't think he would believe him at first then would freak out.

we know that she is really pale, maybe it's forshadowing.

i think that he is still going to be a major part in her life, even with Edward still there, he still means something to her.
[img]http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/2740/lukelorelaiblenddq8.png[/img]
i'm cullenist, house of CARLISLE! * Dirty Quote Queen