Chapter 9 ~ Theory

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
LivesAmongTheStars
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: Edward is teaching me how to play "Clair de Lune" on his piano

Post by LivesAmongTheStars »

There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?
Gosh, I don't know if I can pick. I do have a couple that always make me smile, no matter how many times I read the chapter:
'"How does it work -- the mind-reading thing? Can you read anybody's mind, anywhere? How do you do it? Can the rest of your family...?" I felt silly, asking for clarification on make-believe.'
'"Besides, if you turn us into a Volvo pretzel around a tree trunk, you can probably just walk away."'
'"I hate driving slow."
"This is slow?"'
And, of course, everyone's favorite:
'"My mind doesn't work right? I'm a freak?"
"I hear voices in my mind and you're worried that
you're the freak."'

Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?
Yes, because she felt guilty even as she was doing it to him, and now even more so because she is only interested in Edward. Bella is not the manipulative type -- I don't think it's in her nature -- and she feels bad about using Jacob's obvious infatuation in that way. But I don't think that she would do it any different, since her knowledge about the Quileute legends got Edward to share with her about what he is and how he and his family exist as vampires.

Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?
Love is blind, right? I think that Bella is in so deep that she can see past the potential danger and just want to connect with the core of who Edward is as a person. I think that she sees him first as a man, a being with feelings, and as a vampire secondly. Plus, I think that she doesn't want the fear that she might feel because of what he is, simply for the reason that she doesn't want to be away from him.

Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears given that we know she only usually cries when she is angry?
I think it's because she is frustrated. They both know that any kind of relationship is truly impossible, and she just cannot accept that. It made her angry when Edward said 'Never say that,' after she told him that it was too late to go back, because I think that she doesn't WANT to go back to how it was before. She can't understand why they can't find some way to make this work.

The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?
I think that she was steadily arriving at that point throughout the book so far, and during the course of their conversation - both at the restaurant and in the car - she finally realized that she was in love with him. I think that maybe it truly hit her when she said that it didn't matter what he was, and became more tangible when he told her that it makes him anxious to be away from her. I know that would make MY heart melt.
[img]http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2452/lullabysigtq8.jpg[/img]

joy
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 9 ~ Theory

Post by joy »

[quote="pelirroja"]The chapter summary can be found [url=http://www.twilightlexiconblog.com/?p=115]here[/url]

There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?"I was trying to remember how to incapacitate an attacker-you know, self defense. I was going to smash his nose into his brain." I thought of the dark-haired man with a surge of hate. "You were going to fight them?" This upset him. "Didn't you think about running?" "I fall down a lot when I run," I admitted. Its so cute how vulnerable Bella is but she is so strong at the same time. She is clumsy physically but agile mentally..

Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him? I think she is the type of person who likes to be honest with people and doesn't like games. She went against her moral compasse but she had to get the scoop on Edward.

Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella? She has seen Edward's compassion and his vulnerabiltiy. He may be dangerous but he is not bad. He tells her he becomes anxious when he has to be away from her. He follows her to the neighboring town to ensure her safety. He cares for her so deeply. He saved her life eventhough his kind usually do the killing. He does not want to be a monster and trys to do good. It means more when someone who is dangerous is good than a person who is always good behaves well. Girls like a man with a little darkness (love conquers all).

Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.They both explain in their own way to each other that they both are very deeply into each other. However, Edward is upset that Bella is into him so deeply. He is dangerous and knows that Bella would be so easy to kill and she is so willing to put herself in his way. He is scared for her but at the same time wants to love her from a far. That's all she wants is to never be parted from him and yet he says her feelings are wrong and that "this is a bad idea". She is so crushed when he tells her these things. Its forbidden love coming from the one that loves you. Poor Bella i would be crying my eyes out like she did when Edward left her in the woods.

The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?I think when knowing Edward was trying everything in his power to stay away from her for her own protection but giving up because she means that much to him. Going far beyond, following her to Port Angeles, saving her life, not seeming to ever leave her alone. Totally going against the grain for a vampire just to be with her. That has got to make you think this guy is definitely into you. He is unique,mysterious,beautiful,and he totally makes her head spin and she stops breathing. He is amazing to her.He loves her so much that he would be willing to leave to keep her safe. Whats the quote?If you love someone you need to set them free.
Emmett grinned. "Fall down again, Bella?" I glared at him fiercely. "No, Emmett. I punched a werewolf in the face." Emmett blinked, and then burst into a roar of laughter.

Lacrosse Mom
Learning to Love Green

Post by Lacrosse Mom »

There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?
Too many good ones to list!

Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?
I think she's more embarrassed by her actions than regretful for what she did. I think she prob. feels that it was beneath her to have to use her "feminine wiles" to get what she wanted. That seems to me (and prob. to Bella) like a "Jessica" thing to do.

Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?
B/c she's in love. When you're in love, nothing matters ... the guy could be a total jerk and you're convinced that you can change him. It doesn't matter to Bella b/c she is convinced that she can make it work ... she'll do whatever it takes to make it work.

Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
Definitely frustration ... which is an offshoot of anger.

The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?
The car crash!
Do you sparkle in the sun?

missjulie
Wandering Through Town

Post by missjulie »

"I dazzle people? Do I dazzle you?" *melt*

She regrets its a little, but at the same time she's glad she finally figured it out. I don't think Edward would have told her.

She's decided that she's in love with Edward, totally and hopelessly, so nothing else matters. Love is blind.

Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears given that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
I think she's angry with herself for falling in love with Edward so easily. She's also sad that maybe he doesn't feel the same way. No. She's certain at this point that he doesn't feel the same way, and that makes her angry with herself.

When she decided it didn't matter the Sunday after La Push, after she'd pretty much figured out what he was. She admitted to herself that she was in love, so what he was didn't matter anymore.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/tabithaspike/forevercopy.jpg[/img]

elysiepiecie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by elysiepiecie »

I don't think that I can choose...one of my favorites is "I dazzle people? Do I dazzle you?"

I don't think so. I think that she realizes that she can get a friendship out of it, and that she wouldn't mind at all.

Because she realized that she loves him no matter what. She's accepted that whatever life/Edward throws at her she will always love him.

Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
I think she is angry and frustrated about feeling the way she does. I think she is sad that Edward doesn't feel the same she does about him and frustrated that there is nothing she can do about it.

I think in Port Angeles or after La Push.

leahfellinlovwithtwilight
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by leahfellinlovwithtwilight »

this was one of my favorite chapters. the famous three, i think forshadowed pretty much the whole rest of the series!
oh, and freekin team jane! hope she finds a nice vampire boy thats not quite as hot as edward, but pretty freekin close!

"when i got home, all my things were in the garage."
edward cullen

jaspersfanpire
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Resurrecting Edward from the book and into real life

Post by jaspersfanpire »

1. I cant think of one right now. I like everything Edward says.

2. I dont think she regretted it. Just maybe felt a little guilty.

3. It doesnt matter to Bella what Edward is, she'll love him no matter what.

4. I dont remember the exact conversation that took place before the tears came...so i dont know.

5. Hmm this is a tough one...i think maybe sometime before she went to la push.
"I was with Edward in my happy place."

yellowcarrots22
Settled in Forks

Post by yellowcarrots22 »

Anything Edward says is a favorite quote of mine :)
Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?I know I would, poor kid. Bella concerns herself with others well beings so I'm sure she felt bad too. Especially with Edward being willing to share his true self with her now.

The fact that he is something that goes against everything. That he has the complete ability to break her. That he is a 'monster' and outcast from the world. That being with him means leaving the human world.
Being overwhelmed.
The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward? :P :P
That this is the only love she'll ever truly have. Edward is now her life.