Chapter 8- Port Angeles

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
Carrisa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Carrisa »

1. At what point were you worried for Bella?s safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?

I began to get worried when she left them on the sidewalk. I had a feeling that they would follow her and I was nearly ballistic when she discovered that two of them were following her. I knew someone had to come for her and I had a small feeling it was Edward.

2. How did you feel about Edward?s emotional reaction to the whole situation? Were you afraid of him? Were you worried for Bella?

I was startled by his anger. I couldn't really understand why he was like that. I wasn't worried for Bella, though, because he's been angry around her before now and nothing has happened then.

3. Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read? Had you guessed that this was his secret?

I had already suspected he could read minds. I wasn't surprised since he had saved her. He had to explain himself with the truth rather then the lies this time since there wouldn't a lie reasonable enough to explain how he found her in time.

4. What is your personal theory as to why Edward can?t hear Bella?s mind. If you have read New Moon, don?t attempt to answer this.

New Moon Spoilers! But before then, I didn't know.

5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off?

At first I thought "Whoa, what a stalker!" But it's Edward, so I brushed it off pretty quickly. Besides, Bella needs the watching! (No offense to her.)
[color=darkred]"Of course I love you-- and there's nothing you can do about it!"
- Bella (NewMoon, p. 512)[/color]
[color=cyan]"When I looked into your eyes and you dared to stare right back
You should have said 'Nice to meet you. I'm your other half'"
-Relient K, 'The Best Thing'[/color]
[url=http://www.mybannermaker.com/][img]http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/998/mybannerglitterb3b80515fx3.gif[/img][/url]

LivesAmongTheStars
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: Edward is teaching me how to play "Clair de Lune" on his piano

Post by LivesAmongTheStars »

1. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?
I started to get very nervous when she realized that she was being followed; then it just got progressively more nerve-wracking. I was literally biting my fingernails. I wasn't expecting Edward to show up. I thought that maybe someone would intervene, or she was going to do something (the whole self-defense thing), but I definitely didn't think he would come to her rescue. I was so very glad that he did, though.

2. How did you feel about Edward's emotional reaction to the whole situation? Were you afraid of him? Were you worried for Bella?
I think it wasn't very surprising to me that he was so severely angry. I had been learning through earlier chapters that Edward is a very intense person - and it was becoming increasingly obvious how much he was concerned for Bella's safety. But I have to admit, I was a little afraid of him when he said, 'It was very...hard -- you can't imagine how hard -- for me to simply take you away, and leave them...alive.' That gave me chills. I wasn't ever worried about Bella, though. She kept reiterating the profound sense of safety she felt with him, and so that just transferred to me. If I was in her place, I would have felt extremely grateful as well, and safe.

3. Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read? Had you guessed that this was his secret?
No, not really. He had already said that he felt like he didn't have a choice anymore, whether or not to tell her, because she is so observant. I had sort of assumed that he had some kind of ability to know what people were thinking, but it was interesting all the same to hear him admit it.

4. What is your personal theory as to why Edward can't hear Bella's mind? If you have read New Moon, don't attempt to answer this.
Okay then - I won't. :D

5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off?
Not at all. I totally dismissed it as being anything sinister, like a crazy stalker or something. I think that, if I was in Bella's shoes, I would have felt flattered that he was following me around, as well. Besides, it had a definite benefit, as he had just saved her life.
[img]http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2452/lullabysigtq8.jpg[/img]

Calypso
Settled in Forks

Post by Calypso »

1. At what point were you worried for Bella?s safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?
I actually had a thought of Edward. When she saw the Volvo...it yelled EDWARD, well at least with me. But I did worry a bit, I wondered about the timing.

2. How did you feel about Edward?s emotional reaction to the whole situation? Were you afraid of him? Were you worried for Bella?
I was hoping he would kick donkey, seriously though, I was more psyched than anything, the way he rescued Bella just seem attractive to me. Although, I expected him to be angry at Bella....? Weird.

I actually didn't know about his ability and certainly didn't think that be it. I think it was to early and selfish. He not only exposed himself, but his family too. Bella is sincere and discrete, but, he couldn't have read her mind to know that...he should have revealed it better.

4. What is your personal theory as to why Edward can?t hear Bella?s mind. If you have read New Moon, don?t attempt to answer this.
Read it, so moving on to next question.

I just brushed it off. By this time I had an unhealthy crush with this fictional character that by doing that it didn't matter....hehehe. Although, I do have to be honest; if it were Mike or Eric, I would have considered it stalkerish.

missjulie
Wandering Through Town

Post by missjulie »

I was afraid when she first ran into them, but it seemed to be OK for a few minutes. As soon as she remembered where her paper spray was I knew it was going to get ugly. I figured Edward was in the area since she saw his car, but I had no idea he would actually show up. I thought maybe she would be mugged, but I knew in the back of my mind there was more to it that that. I had to catch my breath when he showed up.

I was a little afraid for Bella when Edward finally rescued her, but he seemed to handle it OK. I knew he was pissed, ready to rip those guys' throats out, as soon as Bella started to prattle on I was OK. I knew he would cool off eventually.

I was surprised he just sort of told her. I thought he might keep the charade up a little bit longer, but since Bella clearly knew something was weird about him I think he just decided to give in. I didn't expect him to be unable to hear her though.

Lols, Ok. BUT, I did think it had something to do with either him being infatuated with her or her blocking him out.

Under normal circumstances I thought maybe it was a little creepy, but he can't live without her, so its kind of romantic. But personally I would be pissed off.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/tabithaspike/forevercopy.jpg[/img]

Lacrosse Mom
Learning to Love Green

Post by Lacrosse Mom »

From the second they walked by her and said hello and she replied.

I could def. understand his reaction and felt that he had every right to feel the way he did. I was not afraid of Edward. The only worry I had was that Bella was going to get attacked by the thugs. I had no concerns that Edward would do something.

I was glad that he wasn't hiding that part of himself anymore. I had guessed that he had some pretty strong intuition going if he got to Bella in the nick of time. Things like that just don't happen!

She doesn't want to share it ... she's used to keeping her thoughts to herself, it's like her thoughts are buried too deep.

No, it wasn't a concern nor did I think Edward seemed stalker-ish. I felt that he was someone who was looking out for the best interests of someone he deeply cared for.
Do you sparkle in the sun?

joy
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 8- Port Angeles

Post by joy »

1. At what point were you worried for Bella?s safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?As soon as two of the thugs started walking behind her. They were obviously following her condsidering they were orginally headed in the opposite direction before they walked past her. I dreamed that Edward,ahhh,Edward would save the day. And he did yeah!!
2. How did you feel about Edward?s emotional reaction to the whole situation? Were you afraid of him? Were you worried for Bella?I was moved by how much he was affected by Bella's close call with the thugs. He wanted her to talk him down from his temper. I knew he didn't want any harm to come to her but that he was so upset at the thugs and wanted to kill them. He just saved her life and would do anything to keep her safe.
3. Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read? Had you guessed that this was his secret? I think he decided right then in the restaurant that he was head over heels for her and that her actions showed that she was keeping his abilities a secret between the two of them and that he could trust her or at least he was now willing to let her know because he loves her. We kind of already realized he had a talent to know what people were thinking by his comments in earlier chapters.Mike loathing him,he can read people very easily usually.
4. What is your personal theory as to why Edward can?t hear Bella?s mind. [i]If you have read New Moon, don?t attempt to answer this.Read New Moon
5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off? I was again moved by how much he cares for her. Always thinking of her safety. I just thought she means alot to him and he wants her around for a long time.
Emmett grinned. "Fall down again, Bella?" I glared at him fiercely. "No, Emmett. I punched a werewolf in the face." Emmett blinked, and then burst into a roar of laughter.

dazzled1308
Wandering Through Town

I read this chapter at 3:00 in the morning; bad idea!

Post by dazzled1308 »

The moment one of them spoke to her, I just knew exactly what was going to happen (I'm a worrier, it's what I do). I was terrified that Bella would catch on too late and that something terrible would befall her (then, I thought rationally and realized that Edward would save her; I didn't figure this out though, until right before it happened).

I was totally okay with Edward's emotional reaction because (let's face it) we already knew that he was a vampire and (soooo obvious) that he loved Bella and was worried. I was not in the least bit afraid of Edward, because he would never, ever, ever hurt Bella, so (naturally) I also had no fears or worries for her after she was rescued.

I suppose at first, I was a little surprised, but (honestly) he had to tell her eventually and after the whole "hypothetical" discussion, I was sure that he might as well come out and say it. I had, in fact guessed about the mind-reading thing; it was the scene in the cafeteria on the first day that sort of gave it away for me.

I've read New Moon; excellent book.

I was not at all concerned. I mean, (taking into account the whole Edward loves her and worries about her thing) it was a natural thing for Edward to do. And, come on girls, let's all admit that we would love to have Edward following us around. :roll:
I'm going on vacation!!! I will be gone from the 9th to the 21st and will be in sunny SC. I'll keep an eye out for silver volos, but they're owners would probably have to be inside. :P

haaleey
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by haaleey »

A: No I wasn't worried for Bella, because I had a good couple hundred pages of the book left and it wasn't written from her point of view I figured she'd be okay. I didn't really give any thought to how she'd escape the situation, I figured Edward would have something to do with it because his Volvo was in Port Angeles. It seemed like a not-really-coincidence.

A: I was too busy swooning over the whole knight-in-shining-armor rescue to notice Edward's anger. I guess like Bella I felt safe with him there, and I was sure she'd be fine. Then when I got over the swooning bit, I was worried that he was going to burst out in a hissy fit to be honest, but he kept his temper.. and thirst in check. I thought Edward's reaction was pretty normal, and I got excited because he was so upset she put herself in danger I was like, okay he DEFINITLY likes her. It made me very happy :)

A: I was really surprised, but I guess like Bella she compelled him to tell the truth. Plus, he was liked Bella a lot so I assume he didn't want to hide a part of him from her. Which I guess is why he told her about the vampiness.

A: I'm starting to think maybe Bella isn't human. Maybe she herself is a mythical creature. It would answer why she doesnt really click with any humans. But it's kind of a far-fetched theory. EDIT: oopsies. I read new moon. Oh well.

A: No, I thought it was cute. And it also gave away his true feelings for Bella. How protective he was, I was swooning.

Then again Edward can do no wrong in my mind.
He dazzles me to no end.
Last edited by haaleey on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]<center>"I am switzerland. I refuse to be affected by territorial disputes between mythical creatures"</center>

<center>I love them both</center>
<center>[img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg57/Messwitme13/Edward-3.png[/img][img]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z11/Grayfur/Jacob%20Black/werewolfface.png[/img]</center>[/size]

elysiepiecie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by elysiepiecie »

Almost immediately, it is scary situation to think of. I had know idea how it would end up, but I surely praying that Edward would save the day.

I was not afraid or worried for Bella. I thought that it was nice that Edward go so worked up over it. It showed how much Bella meant to him.

I was very surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly because he always seemed so reserved. I figured that he had some sort of ESP, but not to the extent of his capabilities.

Read New Moon...

I brushed the situation off, but if that happened to me in real life I might think that he was a bit too over protective.

Sarah921
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 8- Port Angeles

Post by Sarah921 »

Alphie wrote:The chapter summary can be found here

1. I was pretty much worried about her from the second one of them said hello. I know that weird feeling she got as she walked past them. It could be the nicest bunch of guys around, but it's still easy to get that vibe when you're alone. I knew that one guy was going to be trouble... I was just HOPING that Edward would show up, or something would happen that got her out of the situation that Edward heard about later. Then, of course, he'd have another reason to talk to her.

2. I loved Edward's animalistic response. You can't beat damsel in distress moments. I also enjoyed that he recognized his own vulnerability if she left him alone. He didn't want to be a monster. I don't think I would have been afraid of him, I would have been relieved...and excited that HE was the one saving me.

3. I sort of figured he could do something like that...if it wasn't mind reading, I thought it was just hearing conversations from great distances. I think he knew that he wasn't going to get rid of her so easily and he told her against his better judgment and against his will.

4. I thought it might be because they are destined and the strengths of the one, supplement the weaknesses of the other...and at times negate the strengths. He needed someone to knock some of that arrogance out of him.

5. I was glad Edward watched over her. It made his love seem even stronger. He could have hurt her several times, but he just wanted to watch her and be near her, intrigued as he was. I think if Stephenie wrote it any differently it would be uber creepy, but the way she writes it, it just seems right. It made me want a sexy vamp watch me while I sleep...as long as my hair wasn't doing what it normally does in the night. That would be miserable.
Go Team Edward. Though Jake should live.