Chapter One ~ First Sight

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
NeverEndingSky
Settled in Forks

Post by NeverEndingSky »

1. The only part of Bella I can relate with is the feeling of starting at a new school without knowing anyone. I knew I would like Bella from the start.

2. I liked Charlie; he struck me as a quiet, sheepish man who didn't have the first clue what to do, but would try his hardest to make it go well. Renee... well, she made me laugh.

3. Eric--annoying
Mike--friendly
Jess--shallow
Angela--sweet (I liked her immediately)

4. Intrigued, of course!

5. Well, since I already knew he was a vampire, it didn't confuse me much. I dunno, I guess I always knew that Bella would tempt him. I thought it only natural that he resist the way he did.

6. I was hooked on the book by the Preface.
Heres a kind of funny story--I had gone to B&N to buy my summer reading books for my English class. I had seen Twilight in there before but never really thought anything of it. But, that day I had nothing else to read so I bought it. When I got home, my dad sent me straight upstairs to start my school books. Pfft, I didn't want to read those, so I started on Twilight instead! Heh, I couldn't put it down after that. I remember being so caught up in the book that I was shaking when I got to the part where Bella was talking to James on the phone. It was awesome!
"I can do this, I lied to myself feebly. No one was going to bite me." Bella, Twilight page 14

Oh, poor, unsuspecting Bella. If only you knew.

I <3 irony.

bananas13
Settled in Forks

Post by bananas13 »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
I actually couldn't relate to Bella at all. I've lived in the same place since I was two, my parents are still together, and I'm a big people person. I began to relate to Bella a little more as I read on.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?
Renee was likeable, although I thought she was a bit irresponsible. I loved Charlie, in his awkwardness he seemed to really care about Bella.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?
Bella's friends reminded me of some people in my own school. Angela seemed a lot like my best friend, and Mike seemed very nice and genuiene as well, but I knew Jess was only being nice to Bella because she was new and interesting.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward? Very much intrigued!

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior? Er... I thought it was.... odd. I don't know how to describe it.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
I knew I would like the book, because of the style of writing and the characters, but I wasn't hooked yet.

Jasmine_404
Settled in Forks

Post by Jasmine_404 »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with? Yes, i could relate with her parents being divorced and her moving such a long distance
2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie? i had a feeling that they might still like each other
they seemed nice
4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward? no i just thought he was an outkast
5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?
didnt really thought much of it
6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?yea it did

himeseika
Settled in Forks

answers answers!

Post by himeseika »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
at some point i can say yes, but her character intrigued me. i can relate on the way she can blunt but at the same time reserve. the way she relates to her mum is just the way i do with mine.

i got the idea that renee is quite the hippie type, jack of all trades master of none. but this doesn't mean she lacks parenting skills. i find it quite cool though. on charlie, i can probably most relate to because he's like my dad. i don't call my dad by first name for one thing, but my dad likes quiet moments.

I thought they were really nice and friendly. i would want to have friends like them especially if i just moved in to a new school. I find them interesting as well as to how they would interact with Bella (who doesn't like attention). but talking about boys all the time is something i do not condone, but i'm not up for it. ^_^

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?
I would say intrigued not scared. Not because he's good looking but because of the mystery surrounding him, that and i'm a very curious person. I tend to walk the mystery path than the other way.

I thought it was funny at first. It has already been established at the back of the book that he's vampire, so the odd behavior is something to expect (i speak for myself, i actually laughed out loud when i read the odd behavior part). I like the fact that bella thought Edward has multi-personality syndrome. it is so human.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? It got me hooked, definitely. it was an easy read, something any other girl can definitely relate to one way or another. there was a feeling of anticipation for me. ^_^
+++ so eager for eternal damnation +++
+++Edward Cullen+++

Mallory
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Mallory »

I identified with moving between parents. I've lived with both my mom and dad and my mom lives in the South and my dad lives in the North. She felt really awkward around her dad and I did when I moved in with him a while back.

I also identified with going to a new school and being shy although I was not welcomed as warmly as she was. That would have been nice, lol.

My first impression of Renee was that she was more like the kid and Bella was the adult. They had more of a Lorelai/Rory relationship. And Charlie reminded me a lot of my dad. We both had awkward silences, but that was okay. He is really laid back, at times.

That everyone was unusually nice to her. Why couldn't everyone like that? But after I read the first chapter of Midnight Sun, I was able to tell what everyone was thinking and I should have known that Jessica was too good to be true.

I was scared at first, like Bella, but then that quickly changed when he came back from his little trip. :wink:

I had no idea what to think. I could not understand either why he hated her so. It was hard to not be intrigued because he was so mysterious.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?

Oh, I was hooked after like the 2nd chapter. I can't get enough of it now. I'm re-reading them again and now I'm on New Moon for the second time.
[img]http://i29.tinypic.com/t6w3kl.jpg[/img]

keiserda
Settled in Forks

Post by keiserda »

I totally related with Bella right away. I don't really have a niche either, so we are kind of the same.
Renee:Total loving mom who is trying to be the fun parent, but at the same time being way over protective.
Charlie: Wants Bella to like him and not think he's being a mean parent, but still being protective.

Jess will not always be there for you, she'll move on. Angela will be there for you quiet and understanding. Mike is like a loyal puppy, he'll never leave your side. Don't really know about Eric, though.
Intrigued, right away he reminded me of a boy at my school that I've become really close to. I can really relate to Bella's feelings about Edward at first, only because that's exactly the way Tristen came across to me at first.
Again, so much like Tristen, who is my best friend and my big brother now that I've gotten to know him. It's almost scary how alike the two seem.
I was hooked right when Edward came into the picture. Tristen told me to read the book and said "Man this dude is just like me, see my fangs?" and so I read it and got hooked to it right away. End of my life as I knew it.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6871/mybanner47e12c7344921my7.jpg
Thanks to Stephenie Meyer, everytime I hear thunder I think of vampires playing baseball.

MoonStarWithWings
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by MoonStarWithWings »

Not really. I didn't really feel like I knew her at that point.

They seemed nice. I felt a bit sorry for Charlie, though.

Angela, I thought was lovely. Mike - overeager. Jessica - well, I could tell she wasn't that genuine.

Intrigued.

Not much - I'd read the blurb!

Hooked me!
[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/MoonStarWithWings/MonVie.png[/img]
[color=cyan]SC Squared <3[/color]

[color=yellow]Team Edward[/color][color=orange]my brand of heroin.[/color]
[color=orange]Team Ian[/color][color=yellow]eight lives, eight planets and [i]then [/i]she found him.[/color]

Alellie
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Alellie »

Yes, I could relate with Bella when she left her mother and Phil in Phoenix. When I was little (6 years old or so), I had to be sent away to the US to live with my dear Papa. But I had to leave my family and people I grew up with in the Philippines behind in the process. Let's just say that if you were the person I stumbled to in the airport on October 26 2001, I'm sorry I tripped on you and spilled your coffee. I didn't mean it but I couldn't see very well due to the tears in my eyes.

Renee seemed like one of those carefree people without a well, care in the world. She seems pretty laidback and a cool mom to hang around with but if I were Bella, I'd get pretty annoyed whenever I have to look after my own mother.

And for Charlie? I felt bad for him. I mean, imagine you're a devoted father who for some reason loves to fish and your wife, for only about a year, leaves with your almost a year old daughter. Not a very fun time for you.

I could tell already that Angela was going to be one of those sweet, down-to-earth people due to the shyness that she showed Bella in the beginning. Mike seemed nice in the start though and I never really expected for him to get obsessed later on (cough*like me*cough). And for Jessica? She seemed one of those fake people that ignore you when you're dirt and worship at your feet whenever you get popular.

I know a girl like that. :evil:

Umm...do I really have to answer this question? Er, well, I wasn't scared nor I was intrigued by Edward. I was groveling at his feet the moment they described how handsome he was. I have a soft spot for redheads (well, bronzeheads in this case). Sigh...Mrs. Ronald Weasley. I like that name. Maybe I should legally change my name to that.

I thought that Bella farted or something and Edward was leaning away 'cause her gas smelled bad to him. Hahaha, just kidding. I think that since Mrs. Meyer already described the Cullens as "extraordinary" I wasn't really surprised when Edward started spazzing.

Umm, did Edward appear in this chapter? He did?!

Well, then all I have to say that it DID get me hooked. If you know what I mean :wink: (and please don't think perverted thoughts of what I really mean).

-alellie ('s hand hurts from typing. Sucks to be me.)
<center>[img]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd201/mysticlings/l_6fc9d6b7c08c747b63d469681d559f7f.jpg[/img]</center>

alsha
Wandering Through Town

Post by alsha »

yeah i totally did. on everything it was like the same exept that i don't have a vampire in my life

no coment

i thought they were nice (until i read first sight from Edward's perspective)

i loved Edward since Bella started talking about him so i wasn't scared nor was i intrigured

it reminded me of someone else so i didn't make much of it, the only thing that my head was able to proses was that he loved Bella and there was nothing more to that

i was so into it that i got everything

admirallily
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: In a big white house in the forest by the river. They say vampires live here.

Re: Chapter One ~ First Sight

Post by admirallily »

pelirroja wrote:The Chapter Summary is found here

Absolutely. We're very different in many ways but the feeling of being kind of an outsider. Shy, insecure. I'd been the new kid many times over the years but I never got the reaction from others she did. Or if I did I didn't pick up on it though I'd gone to a few smaller schools, none quite so small as hers. I wouldn't have been the sporty tan one in Pheonix either, and I'm pretty darn klutzy at times. But she's braver than I am. More mature. I'm sometimes like those giggly girls that the others in the book can be but I still relate to Bella in many ways throughout all the books.

Lonely. Especially Charlie. Renee has Phil now but even still they seemed like two very sad people at first, each for their own reasons.

Sadly, I'm like some of those friends though I wish I weren't so much. :D There wasn't a lot of sincerity there, unfortunately.

Definitely intrigued.

I kind of already knew a little of what to expect since my friend had to do a little convincing to get me to even start the first book but even still she didn't say enough to spoil it so I was always trying to figure out what was going on behind his silence.

I was pretty much hooked from the get go and it's just spiraled out of control ever since. :D
[img]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/admirallily/17AgainQuotebyAL.gif[/img]
Hee! I crack up every time I see that clip!