Chapter One ~ First Sight

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
CliffDiver10
Settled in Forks

Post by CliffDiver10 »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

Definitely. Her transition from a place like Phoenix to Forks was similar to something I had gone through. Moving from SoCal to Washington is a pretty...interesting experience.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?

Renee seemed to be the rambunctious parent whose maturity didn't quite match up with their kid. She doesn't exactly have a careless attitude, but it's more carefree. There's a slight difference. She loves Bella unconditionally, but there's a lot of distractions in her life that keep her from showing it.
Charlie on the other hand is one of those parents that awkwardly try to please their child. His actions are sincere, but they aren't second-nature to him. While he doesn't realize that his awkwardness is obvious to Bella, he deserves an "A" for effort.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?

Extremely bubbly. Some (mainly the boys) seemed a little too overeager to get to know Bella.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?

A little bit of both. The descriptions of him in Biology class were a little intimidating.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?

Confusing while I was reading. He was definitely a man of mystery.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?

I was hooked after the first page. haha

iloveawerewolf...
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by iloveawerewolf... »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
I did relate with Bella right away. I know what it feels like to move schools in the middle of a school year and I totally understand how she felt when meeting new people and not knowing her way around (which didn't matter because people helped her). Also, I related to her shyness.

My first impression of Renee was that she was putting everything into caring for her daughter but it comes across as being overproctective and annoying at some points. Charlie, well as the books point out-he doesn't know how to express his emotion well and I thought that too when reading. Also, he comes across, initially, as father-daughter awkward but he's trying so that's all that matters. :)

Basically they were friendly people who wanted to help Bella. I guess I didn't have an detailed first impression.

I was super intrigued. I had never heard of Twilight or even read the summary of the books so I had no idea he was even a vampire or the series was about human-vampire love. There was no way someone could act like that and not be 'different'.

I was intimidiated by his behavior. Like emilycullenx said "I would of have reacted the same way" and I agree with her. I would have done the same thing as Bella.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
I was iffy on the book. Though I never start a book without finishing it and soon enough I was hooked on the saga. :D

faerie_kitten
Wandering Through Town

Post by faerie_kitten »

def related to her, mainly because of the whole being new in school, moving across the country to live with another parent. been there and it aint all that fun :(

not much of renee cos she wasnt really in it that much but charlie seemed a little eager to please, could just be me tho :)

Mike and eric seemed a bit clingy but they all seemed nice enough.

neither really. at this point in the book tho i still thought it was an ordinary romance book (on silly fault for not reading all of the back!!!)

at this point i wondered what the hell was up with him.

i was already hooked on the preface.

yellowcarrots22
Settled in Forks

Post by yellowcarrots22 »

So I know that people do not want to her me rant about how almost every minuscule item about Bella's looks and personality is exactly like me, I won't and just say that reading about Bella had the same effect as looking into a mirror.

But also would like to say that Bella is supposed to be easily relatable so any girl can feel like her.

I really had no opinions on Bella's parents. Renee felt really pushy by not giving Bella a break to settle in, but then again I'm not a mother so I wouldn't know the feeling.

Once again, I wasn't really interested in Bella's friends. I didn't enjoy Mike though - for I know many Mikes and they're rather annoying with their good intentions.

I was honestly pissed off quite a bit at him, so I would guess intrigued because I wanted to know his motives for his behavior in the beginning. I knew what was supposed to happen so his initial reaction to her caught me off guard. They were supposed to be happily in love! It made sense in the end.

Hahaha - see above answer

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? 8) 8)

Honestly I hated the first half of the book. It was completely unexpected sense everyone was raving about this amazing love story and there was no love between them until near the climaxish part. I was disappointed.

Kater07
Settled in Forks

Post by Kater07 »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with? I hate being the "new kid" anywhere, so I got her issues.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie? I thought that Renee was a ditz from the beginning. I think that she loves Bella deeply, but that she's not quite the mom that a child deserves.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets? They are fine. I think that it's nice that Bella was accepted right away, but felt odd that some were sooooo friendly.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward? Always intrigued.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior? I didn't find it really odd. shrug. I guess I was expecting it.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? I would have read all the way through because that's what I do. I always give a book a good 50+ pages to hook me. I did wonder what the fuss was about off and on throughout several chapters.
Cheers,

Katie
Wife to my HIM and mom to 2 wonderful kids

Kater07
Settled in Forks

Post by Kater07 »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with? I hate being the "new kid" anywhere, so I got her issues.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie? I thought that Renee was a ditz from the beginning. I think that she loves Bella deeply, but that she's not quite the mom that a child deserves. I think that Charlie is a pretty typical dad. He's loving, but not super comfortable with "girly" stuff. I like Charlie!

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets? They are fine. I think that it's nice that Bella was accepted right away, but felt odd that some were sooooo friendly.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward? Always intrigued.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior? I didn't find it really odd. shrug. I guess I was expecting it.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? I would have read all the way through because that's what I do. I always give a book a good 50+ pages to hook me. I did wonder what the fuss was about off and on throughout several chapters.
Cheers,

Katie
Wife to my HIM and mom to 2 wonderful kids

leopardgirl314
Giving Bella a Bandaid...again

Post by leopardgirl314 »

I'm rereading the series (again, lol), and I've never posted in this question, so I thought I'd start :D

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with? Yes. Aside from the brown hair and pale skin (other appearances didn't match at all), we are almost twins. I don't relate to most people very well, and I sometimes think my mind is glitched. Bella is surrounded by nice "friends", but doesn't really connect with them. I'm the same way - and just as shy. I'd much rather do my own thing than chitchat. I'm also quite clumsy and awful at sports. I'm rather responsible and mature for my age and I'm self-sacrificing for my parents.

I thought they seemed like the parents that genuinely tried their hardest, but they weren't very good at it. I thought they seemed like nice people, but not very good at parenting.

They were nice, normal high school friends. Nothing special, no one that Bella could really connect with yet. Mike annoyed me, though.

I was intrigued. I knew it was a romance, and I love reading things were the 2 interests dislike each other first. I was also wondering what he was thinking in the lunch room.

I honestly had no clue.

I could tell by the prologue, I would love it - I am a sucker for romance. I wanted to know more and couldn't stop reading.
[img]http://twilight-fans.com/twilight-blends/29.png[/img]

'Are we going to feel complete at the end of Breaking Dawn?'' she whispered pleadingly....''I can't really answer that question for you,'' she said, her voice both cheerful and firm. ''But I felt closure.''

~*You can call me Caryn*~

atrociousprincess
Learning to Love Green

Post by atrociousprincess »

1. I sort of related to Bella. We're definitely similar in appearance, I'm not really athletic, I don't like rain (well actually, I like light showers but that's not what's going on in Forks) and I don't connect with people easily. Then again I couldn't relate to her at all, I'm very close to my family while she seemed more distant, I'm not hopelessly clumsy, I enjoy attention and I like meeting new people.
2. I thought they were pretty awful parents at first!
3. Okay, I'm letting out my deepest, darkest secret hear *takes a deep breath* I actually liked Mike and I still do *hides in shame*
4. I was intrigued because I already knew he was a vampire thanks to the back cover and my friends who had already read it
5. I just thought it was...odd
6. I was already hooked from the back cover (I know..."don't judge a book by it's cover" but it WORKS :roll: )
[img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/twilight_confession02.png[/img][img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/eclipse_confession06.png[/img] [img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/newmoon_confession12.png[/img][img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/twilight_confession18.png[/img]

SparklingVampiress
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by SparklingVampiress »

I kind of related to Bella right away with the whole changing schools thing. When i was in six grade i moved and my parents made me switch schools. I hated it so very much!! But eventually like Bella, i began to love my new school!!
Renee reminds me of my erratic aunt Elaine. She can be very worrisome but normally is high on life! Charlie is like my grandpa. Quiet and shy but loving. And also like he doesn't know what to do or say.
I thought all the boys were great. they were all nice if not a little too friendly, MIKE! I really liked Angela, she was such a sweetie!! She's a girl i could be great friends with!! Jessica on the other hand i could do without! I very much so dislike girls like that! with all the gossip and jealousy! No thanks!!
Definitely Intrigued!! I've never really been afraid of people that are different. I mostly want to know more about them. I would've asked about them like Bella. And if i wasn't satisfied by the Knowledge gained, I would go ask them myself!
At first I was like," what the heck is his problem". But then when he was doing all those things to annoy her and would laugh at her, I couldn't help but like him!!
I was hooked from the start!! And the cool thing to me was that i had no expectations for this book!! I randomly chose it at the library. No one had told me anything about it!! I got to make up my own opinions about it!!
~*~*Thats the way, a huh a huh, I like it, a huh a huh*~*~

testarossa
Settled in Forks

Post by testarossa »

I related to her first of all because I live in the Phoenix area. haha, one big difference, though, is that I LOVE the rain.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie? \

Renee seemed flighty, and I liked Charlie.

i liked mike. And angela seemed really sweet. I felt like Jessica was fake. (one of those, talk about you behind your back type people)

definetly intrigued. =]

I was angry with him. haha.

I was hooked by the back cover. =]
~Testarossa