Chapter 24 : An Impasse

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
amoredward
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by amoredward »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now?

I think that he realizes how strong he is. Like I said before, I think that Edward was underestimating himself throughout the whole book, and maybe he sees now that he's stronger than he thought.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?

Maybe he is delaying it, because he thinks that Bella will eventually move on.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?

I don't think that he planned to leave her at this point. I mean, I already said above that I think he thought that Bella would get over him. New Moon was the catalyst in him realizing that he 'had' to leave. Pish posh.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?

I thought that Bella should become a vampire at the end of this. My opinion seems to be morphing all the time now, though, so I really don't know what I want anymore!!!
[img]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/MMarieB_bucket/winning%20bet%20banners/amoredwards.gif[/img]

[img]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x170/amoredward/Twilight%20Banner%20and%20Other/theairsun.jpg[/img]

Lovely janner (Jake-banner, for all you silly coneheads!) by LovesTwilightx3!!!

Sansa
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Sansa »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now?

Neither harder not easier. It only continues to tempt him everytime he's with Bella. He controls that because he loves Bella.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?

Because he wanted Bella to be human. And maybe, he doubted about if Bella could love him forever. At least, she was only a human.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?

He had hose plans, of course. Because Bella would just be in danger because of him one day and it would be the better for her. Or maybe he thought Bella could forget about him.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?

I thought Bella should be changer right away and leave her family and life behind, always she really, really was sure about that.
"Unfortunately, the clock is ticking, the hours are going by. The past increases, the future recedes. Possibilities decreasing, regrets mounting."

iheartedcullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 24 : An Impasse

Post by iheartedcullen »

Probably both. He knows how good it is now, and that must be hard. But, he also knows he has the power to resist, which helps to resist...

Because he loves her and he thinks he is damning her. He's confused about his own eternal welfare and doesn't want to bring Bella into that too.

I think that he wasn't sure he would ever be strong enough to do it at that point. I don't think he really knew he was going to do it until after what happened in New Moon happened.

My thoughts were that this would probably happen eventually, but not until Bella had a better understanding of what it entailed and everything that it would mean.

brooke4ever
Settled in Forks

Post by brooke4ever »

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?- Alphie
1)I think it made it harder knowing how it tasted.When, she got the transfusion he said she smelled bad because he likes her smell. But, It must have made it easier.
2)I think its because Edward doesn't want to lose her so he doesn't want the risk of anyone to lose control.
3)I think he was considering it because he wants her to be normal and yet not to want to lose her at the same time.
4)I thought she would bcome a vampire in New Moon.[/quote]
-brooke-

MadrigalOfTheNight
Settled in Forks

Post by MadrigalOfTheNight »

4- Obviously, to die would be the most natural way of ending, and that's one of the reasons that led me to first think Bella wouldn't be changed at the end. Anyway, after reading the second and third books I'm not so sure about that, since she seems to have kind of a more mature and experienced point of view about the implications of becoming a vampire.

In my opinion (and please don't flame me for this :P) the way Twilight ends would make a perfect ending for Bella and Edward's story, at least for me. I remember it was somehow ambiguous (he kisses her neck or something like that...). I really like this uncertainty and that would have left an open ending for everyone to imagine what they thought it would happen.
Anyway I enjoyed a lot reading New Moon and Eclipse...so I'm waiting for the real end to come :P
[i]Remember life now?[/i]
[img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/Soviet_Supremo/type0.jpg[/img]

yumio
Settled in Forks

Post by yumio »

4- Obviously, to die would be the most natural way of ending, and that's one of the reasons that led me to first think Bella wouldn't be changed at the end. Anyway, after reading the second and third books I'm not so sure about that, since she seems to have kind of a more mature and experienced point of view about the implications of becoming a vampire.

^I won't flame the forum but I will throw a pillow at you for saying it should end like that ;P . I cannot stop being addicted to Edward without seeing an end to his story so, I must read until there's a concrete ending.
Now as most of the people say I think Bella should turn into a vampire. They will live together for..ever.. if that's the case. I'm only worried about her hair.. they say vampire don't grow hair that means if she accidentally chips her hair off she will remain that way. Anyway, the only reason I want Bella to turn into vampire is that i can't stand when bella grow older and looks younger than Edward like she dreamed. Way too horrifying. And women care about their looks, so Bella wouldn't live happily anyway. And edward might stop liking her... and there's the other matter where Bella is too weak and breakable so they can't do......i ..t..

Edward<3
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Edward<3 »

i think it made it easier, believe it or not. he became a bit more immune because he did. he does still thirst for her blood and its hard for him but a little of the pressure was lifted when he did it.

he doesnt want to condemn her to a life like he has. he says that she has a choice while he didnt. i dont really know how else to answer.

i never would have thought that he would leave her. it broke my heart when he did. if he was trying to keep her calm, it didnt work. he doesnt realize how much he hurt her..but that doesnt change my feelings for him.

I felt that it was a great way for her to stay with Edward the rest of her life. i didnt even think about her family. i know, how un-caring of me. but i really thought that she should because Edward was so important to her. there was never anything that could change that.
"Tell me what you want, and you can have it."
"You," I mumbled almost incoherently.
"I'm yours."

DayShadows22
Wandering Through Town

Post by DayShadows22 »

Well, he's had a bit of practise (haha) but now he knows how difficult it really is to resist. So if for some reason he gets into this little sticky situation again, he'd be a bit more prepared of what's coming (or not, depends of what the sticky situation IS). In some ways it would be easier, though. It was a challenge to actually drink Bella's blood, since he accomplished that challenge, being around her wouldn't be so bad (or as bad).

Okay we all know that Edward is crazy about Bella. He's crazy about Bella now as a human and even though that wouldn't change things if she was a vampire, he might feel guilty. The only reason Bella wants to be a vampire is for them to be together for all of eternity and knock down some of those bloody boundaries that come between them. If Bella comes to miss her old life and loses interest in Edward (which won't happen...I'm counting on it) then who would the fault bounce back to? Edward. Edward does not intend to make that his fault. Of course it's not the only reason but this one I find most significant because Edward does not want to destroy someones life, much less someone he's crazy about.

I don't think he had plans like that. No, no, no. Edward is a gentleman, he probably would just say things to make Bella feel better but this is different. Leaving her would be hard and it was hard. It was the hardest and most painful thing that he's probably ever done (maybe even harder than his change). The leave that happened in New Moon was unplanned. Of course he was debating whether it's safe for Bella to be with him, but one side of the debate kept on building up as he realises what danger he's putting Bella through. What happened if Jasper did kill her? He would never forgive himself. He doesn't want to be the bad guy, and he does not want to be the one to hurt Bella (let alone have anyone else hurt Bella). It's all out of love, he never stopped loving her, maybe that's the promise he made instead? That he would never stop loving her? He may leave but it WILL be hard, and it's not out of dislike.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensible to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?

I've actually answered a question like this on one of the posts here so I'm going to repeat it:
Yes and no. Yes I want Bella to be turned, the relationship will get stronger, boundaries will be broken, and Bella will be much safer. No because all the things that make Bella Bella would probably be gone. The blush will be gone (except after hunting, maybe) and her clumsiness which is such a AWESOME trait. But also, the things that make Bella Bella will be strengthened like her perceptiveness, her love for Edward (if that's possible), and a bunch of other things that are soon to be found out and pulled out of the darkness!
Another thing (and I feel really guilty about saying this) is that I never really didn't care about her leaving Charlie and Renée. I feel terrible about saying this and I knew if I were Bella I would think otherwise, but I really don't think their that big of a role in Bella's life. Come to think of it, nothing was a big role in her life until Edward and Jacob. So sad.

SPARKLES
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by SPARKLES »

I think it makes it easier to resist her blood because he knows now that he can resist getting carried away. He also realizes now just how much he loves her after nearly losing her. He definitely thirsts for her blood, but knows he can control himself.

Because he knows that Alice's visions are not set in stone. He knows they can change and he doesnt want Bella to lose her life. He wants her to stay human. He doesnt want to have any negative affect on her life.

I dont think he had actual plans to leave her but I do think that he knew it would be a possibility sometime. He would only stay with Bella as long as it was best for her, but he knew it wouldnt be forever, and that he would someday have to leave. Yes, I think he was telling her he couldnt leave just to keep her calm even though he really meant that he didnt want to ever leave her.

I was honestly very torn because the idea of Bella being with Edward forever sounded sooooo good. But I think I agreed with Edward that she should stay human (at that point at least)
[img]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/smileymontes/BE.jpg[/img][img]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m190/rossumrox05/Bella%20and%20Edward/teamedward.jpg[/img][img]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u78/heart_in_the_clouds/Avatars%20and%20Icons/Twilight%20series/blackandtealheart2ux8.png[/img]

My Hero is Alice Cullen
Settled in Forks

Post by My Hero is Alice Cullen »

I think that actually tasting her blood may make it harder to resist in some ways but I also think that being able to stop himself made him realize that he has the strength to continue to resist. To me, I guess it helps to see just how much he loves Bella. I would think once you have tasted something that tastes the way her blood does to him, you would only want more. The fact that he continues to resist only shows that he would rather cause himself the pain that it takes to resist than the alternative, to hurt her.

I think it is because he knows that Alice's visions are based on decisions. I think maybe he hopes that he can change the minds of those who have decided. This actually brings up another question I have about this... Earlier on in the book there are references that suggest that Edward has known that Alice saw Bella becoming a vampire before Bella understood how the change is possible. Only after I read the book again did I realize this. Who is it that makes that decision? Is it possible that it was Bella all along, when she decided that she would be with Edward no matter what, even though she didn't fully understand? Things I wonder about....

I don't think he planned to leave her exactly the way that he did in New Moon at that time. I think he was decided that she would not become a vampire and possibly somewhere in his mind he thought that maybe something would make Bella realize that she would be better off without him. I think that he had been preparing himself for that from the beginning. It is clear that he always felt that she would be better off without him, so maybe the thought was in the back of his mind that he would leave if he truly felt it would be best for her.

When I first read it, I did agree with Bella. Why didn't Edward just let the venom spread since the process was already begun? I was actually a little upset at Edward at first. His viewpoint did begin to make a little more sense, but I still agreed with Bella more. It just seems to make sense that she would need to be a vampire to make the relationship make sense. Having read the other books though, I am actually glad that it didn't happen then, seeing that it has helped Bella realize exactly what sacrifices she is making. I do still feel that ultimately, she does need to be a vampire though.