Chapter 22 - Hide and Seek

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
admirallily
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: In a big white house in the forest by the river. They say vampires live here.

Re: Chapter 22 - Hide and Seek

Post by admirallily »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?

A: I don't know that I expected it but it didn't surprise me either. SM has said herself that the series is all about choices and I fully agree. Every choice we make, no matter how small, has a ripple effect. Some ripple's last longer but everything DOES ripple. We need to be careful in our decisions but we must still choose. It's the point of us all being here. To choose.

2. How long to you think it took ALice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?

A: I imagine they noticed very quickly and Edward freaked. I imagine they debated whether to chase her instantly or wait for Edward since he was due to arrive so soon and they can travel so much faster than normal people. I imagine Edward made quite a seen even if he held it someone in reserve. I imagine many surprised stares as he growls ferociously in frustration then takes off running.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?

A: I think it was a difficult choice but I think they could have tried harder to help her. It's hard to say if they were justified given the times. I can't imagine it was easy.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artisit, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his charater or his life when he was a human?

A: He had a flare for the dramatic. He was an attention getter. He liked control and power.
[img]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/admirallily/17AgainQuotebyAL.gif[/img]
Hee! I crack up every time I see that clip!
Twilight_Chick126
Settled in Forks

Post by Twilight_Chick126 »

How long to you think it took ALice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?

I think that after a few minutes they knew she was gone. Once she ran outside I bet Alice saw what she was doing. I think Edward would be really mad. He would be angry with Alice and Jasper for not watching her better. And he would yell at Alice for not seeing it sooner. He would also be sad because he might loose Bella, which makes him more angry at James.
"Afraid of a needle. A sadistic vampire intent on torturing her to death, sure, no problem, she runs of the meet him. An IV on the other hand..." -Edward Cullen
nothingdoing
Settled in Forks

Post by nothingdoing »

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?

Learning Alice's past was one of the most fascinating parts of the book for me. Like others have said, since we didn't know her family, we can't properly judge what they did. However, in that time period I think that having a daughter claim to see the future would have been more scandalous than frightening to them. I can see her parents as having been distant, not unloving, just not involved in her life, and so when their oldest daughter suddenly starts saying she has the "second sight", they would be pretty freaked that people would start gossipping or that Alice would hurt Cynthia or do something truly insane.

But that's all just my humble opinion :wink:
[img]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/muffin_love13/my%20stuff/jane2.jpg[/img]
Banner by me- and thanks to flipflopkitty @ livejournal for my icon!
fantasia
Learning to Love Green

Post by fantasia »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?

It didn't really surprise me, it only makes sense that once you know the future you have the power to change it. I think that this shows our choices can change our entire future, and the futures of anyone else affected by the choices we make. That's pretty powerful if you think about it.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?

I think it took Alice a couple of minutes at most to see where Bella was planning to go, and I'm sure some of Jasper's sharper senses could tell when she started to run away, but since it was a crowded airport they couldn't risk exposing themselves. I think I would have been terrified to be around Edward when he found out what she had done. I imagine him being more than furious that Alice and Jasper couldn't keep Bella in their sights, and terrified that she was off to meet James alone, knowing if he didn't hurry, she would die.

Times back then were dramatically different from now, and someone like Alice would have been thought insane by anyone...maybe her family had her institutionalized for her own safety? Fearing for her life? I still think it was very cold, though. A family should always look out for their own, and they definitely didn't.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?

I think it shows that he's overcompensating for something. It was pretty dramatic, unnecessarily so...he must have had such an angry life...if he felt he needed to hurt Edward, someone he didn't know, that badly. He seemed more than a little screwed up!
The.New.Cullen
Wandering Through Town

Post by The.New.Cullen »

I really didn't know all too much about Alice's power, to tell you the truth. I wasn't expecting it, but I wasn't surprised. As to our own choices, it says that we can have a solid plan one minute, and a better the next.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?
I think it took...about the time Bella jumped into the bus to go to the Hyatt. I think Edward kind of knew she was going to do something like that, but he was probably still pretty upset.

It says that Alices human family thought she was nuts. Truthfully... I don't know. I mean, if her visions were true, then... I don't know. I'm just glad they didn't kill her :?
4. James is somewhat of a performance artisit, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his charater or his life when he was a human?
James must have been dramatic in his human life. He might have even been an actor or someone in the arts. Or it shows that he was a very... interesting person when he was human.
[color=darkred]The newest Cullen vampire.
Bite me.[/color]
I CAN'T wait for Breaking Dawn!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to go to their wedding shower *evil grin* I will find you, Cullen.
[color=yellow]The best thing in life came at a cost.[/color]
[color=blue]Is it possible that the most beautiful flower can come from manure?[/color]
joy
Wandering Through Town

Post by joy »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?Yes, I thought once she would see something it was going to happen. People or vampires can change their path at any time depending on what they choose to do. The individual has the power to change their path.

2. How long to you think it took ALice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?Not long. Alice could see Bella eventually when her future changed. Edward would have been livid and probably over the top with vengence. His greatest thing in the world was with the worst enemy ever.

Back in her time families had no choice except for what the medical community offered. If you saw things you were crazy. They didn't know enough back then so they just locked them away. The family probably didn't like it but didn't know what to do. They were probably told Alice would hurt someone or herself. Plus it was a dark mark on their family and they would be cast out of society by association. I don't think they would have been that cold.
4. James is somewhat of a performance artisit, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his charater or his life when he was a human?He was not a very nice human. Maybe a serial killer back in the day. He goes a little overboard in the theatrics dept. to carry out dirty deeds.
Emmett grinned. "Fall down again, Bella?" I glared at him fiercely. "No, Emmett. I punched a werewolf in the face." Emmett blinked, and then burst into a roar of laughter.
elysiepiecie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by elysiepiecie »

I thought her visions weren't exact, that they could change. I just did not know how much. This shows that the power of our choices can have huge effects on other people and ourselves, so we should always think things through.

2. How long to you think it took ALice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?
I don't think it took them very long at all. I think that Edward was furious, but more concerned about her safety than anything.

I think that Alice was raised in a time when anything that was not normal was shunned, therefore that is why she was in a mental institution. I think that her family did it either to protect her, or to protect their status in society.

He was probably a very outgoing artist as a human. He probably had huge potential in the world of art.
jaspersfanpire
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Resurrecting Edward from the book and into real life

Post by jaspersfanpire »

1. Uh, i didnt really have much of a reaction.

2. Jasper probably suspected when she didnt come back right away, and Alice probably saw her running away. So maybe 4 minutes. I think Edward was mad at them at first for not keeping better eye on her, and then frightened that he would lose Bella, and then determined to not let that happen.

3. I think it was justified but still not very nice of them. They would rather pretend their daughter was dead and never see her again to protect themselves and their status.

4. Maybe he was an artist or had an interst in photography, so therefore he would know about lighting and effects.
"I was with Edward in my happy place."
CamberXite
Digging the Castle Motif

Post by CamberXite »

I was really confused about her power. I didn't know it worked that way LoL

I think Edward kind of already knew that she was going to do it, but he was still really shaken about it.

I felt really bad for her, They didn't have to lock her up. I'm glad she didn't die!

He must have been an actor or a model or something like that LoL
<center>[img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6910/heartci7.png[/img]
[color=black][b] ✖ Chicken Noodle Soup and 2 Sodas on The Side! Aussie at heart !! ✖
Awesome banner and avie by Kit! <3[/color][/b]

[b][url=http://roomofrequirement.omgforum.net]CLICK HERE! ♥ Check Yes Juliet! ♥[/url][/b]<center>
missjulie
Wandering Through Town

Post by missjulie »

I think they explained it earlier in not so many words. She said it wasn't absolute? I don't know, at any rate, I was glad that our decisions effected her visions, it makes it more realistic (hah!). We have the power to change our future. 'Nuff said.

I think as soon as Bella went out the other door Alice saw it, and then ran to Jasper, but at human speed, and then they had to run at human speed again after her. But the place was so big they couldn't find her soon enough.
Oh... Edward was PISSED for sure. I think his raving lunacy was only put off by his insatiable need to find Bella before she was dead.

I think considering the times they lived in.. it was more... socially acceptable. But beyond that, they are more monsterous than Alice could ever be.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artisit, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?
I think he was a dull person who lived a dull life. I think his yearn for theatrics is rooted in his utter normalcy. He has no 'sparkle' even as a vampire, so he must compensate by being overly dramatic.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/tabithaspike/forevercopy.jpg[/img]