Chapter 4~Invitations

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
pelirroja

Chapter 4~Invitations

Post by pelirroja »

The chapter summary can be found here

Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?

Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior?

Eri
Displays excellent tracking skills

Re: Chapter Four~Invitations

Post by Eri »

Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?

I really haven't thought about that, i supposed she rejected the boys because she didn't want to go to the dance. I find Bella an introvert (sp?) person and she thinks of herself as a very clumsy person, so she would be as dangerous dancing than doing some kind of sport.

Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior?

I found that a very sarcastic comment from Bella, but i think she has her odd moments too. I didn't find his behaviour that odd (i need to read the chapter again to give a better opinion). I think Edward has some atraction towards Bella but he doesn't know yet, and that's why he acts this way :roll:

tanzanite
Edward's Number One Stalker

Post by tanzanite »

I think that Bella had always thought of Edward as the only one she would want to be with, though she may not have seriously considered the possiblity at the time.

I think Edward just has a much quicker mind due to being a vampire. I think that his mercurial moods can also be attributed to Bella's statements. She catches him off guard, so he just reacts without thinking.

~Foxiego~
Fandom Fun Coordinator

Post by ~Foxiego~ »

I think there are three reasons for this. 1) Because Bella is very mature for her age, I doubt something as trivial as a school dance would have mattered to her much anyway. 2) Because she knows for a fact she can't dance and doesn't want to suffer through the embarrassment. And 3) Because somewhere in the depths of her mind, she probably was thinking about Edward when she said no to all those boys. And one can't really blame her. 8)

My response now is Edward can't read her mind. My response then would have been he is just one interesting dude.
Bestiality is one step above necrophilia.

[img]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/Foxiego/158d3288.jpg[/img]

Lomesir22
Rapier Wit Hurts, Don't Make Me Stab You

Post by Lomesir22 »

I think that Bella was uncomfortable with the attention lavished on her, especially from the guys. She wasn't interested in a relationship. Not with any normal guys, anyway.

Edward is Edward. I finally accepted that.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/lomesir/jaspershair.jpg[/img]

Yamile
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Yamile »

o.o Well she doesnt like dances!! ^^ and i can relate to her on that..._.
and she cant dance she doesnt want to make a fool of herself.

Hahaha! i was laughing when she said that cause xD well he did seem like that you know suddenly this guy looks at you in this way likee dont touch me you freak kind of look and suddenly he is soo nice with you...O.o i would have thought the samt thing!.
[img]http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/static/avatars/goficons/goficons-21.gif[/img][img]http://www.harrypotterfanzone.com/downloads/avatars/hpfz2.gif[/img][img]http://www.emmawatson.us/data/nteractive/avatars/amy/036.png[/img][img]http://rupertgrint.net/images/r37.jpg[/img]
John: We know how to behave! We've had lessons.

merielrose
Settled in Forks

Post by merielrose »

I think none of the boys appealed to her because of how uncomfortable she was in Forks. You land in a new school, and what's the first thing they have on the itenerary? A girl's choice dance. It may be a way to meat every one, but, because of Bella's personality, she'd rather just meet people as she goes on her day-to-day routine.

His vampiric thirst and his human chivalry are fighting ceaselessly withing his being. Basically, yeah, there are two streams of conciousness within him, personalities, if one wants to be blunt. They are both Edward, yet they draw him in two completely different directions. Ok, I have read the Midnight Sun exerpt... (I had caffine today...I've never had so much caffine even in a week...this is exhilerating.)
Where you can buy my book:
<url>http://www.lulu.com/content/447954</url>
merielrose:
<url>www.livejournal.com</url>
<url>www.fanfiction.net</url>

brightfishies
Settled in Forks

Post by brightfishies »

1. Bella is different. She is not a dance person like many other teenage girls. She doesn't like gossip or shopping or spending five minutes describing how a boy structured his sentence and what it could possibly mean. She isn't keen on what she considers trivial, boring things despite the fact that 90% of teenage girls find them to be of utmost importance. Bella is so different from other (for lack of a better word) humans. Perhaps none of the boys appealed to her because they were all human.

2. I think Edward is constantly flip-flopping with his personality when he is around Bella. She makes him feel very much like a vampire at times and very much like a human, and his personality differs because of it.

Taxi
On a Pixie Stick Sugar Hi

Post by Taxi »

Probably because they couldn't possibly complare to Edward, or that she just didn't like any of them... which is equally plausible. Or that she just doesn't like dances. I know I don't.

Pretty much everything he said had a double meaning. I guess one of the sides tended to be more dominant during some comments in the conversations... I dunno, but that's the only way I can think of explaining it...
Last edited by Taxi on Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<center>[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/heyquitpeeking/Yoyo/ban.png[/img]</center>

Harasliz
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Harasliz »

I just thought she was worried that she would see "someone" there. I'm not really one for dances so I didn't really question it that much. None of them appealed to her because she was already attracted to Edward, just like me, and no of the others could compare to the great Edward. hehe.

I just thought that he was trying to tell her something without actually telling her. Edward seemed torn between what was right and what he wanted to say to me. I thought that Edward was interesting. He actions I couldn't attribute to anything in particular.