Chapter 21-Phone Call

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
pelirroja

Chapter 21-Phone Call

Post by pelirroja »

The chapter summary can be found here
1. What was your reaction when you realized that Alice had sketched Bella's house in Phoenix?

2. Why do you think Bella chooses not to tell Alice and Jasper what is going on.

3. Bella is able to resist Jasper's calming power. Do you think she actually successfully resisted, or that he gave up when she broke contact?

Taxi
On a Pixie Stick Sugar Hi

Post by Taxi »

1. What was your reaction when you realized that Alice had stetched Bella's house in Phoenix?

I was like, "Oh crap." And then I badly wanted to know what happened next. Badly.

2. Why do you think Bella chooses not to tell Alice and Jasper what is going on.

Hmm. I think maybe because she doesn't want the Cullens to get hurt because of her. Bella thinks she's protecting them by not exposing them again to James? Or maybe what Muffalo said, she wants to get to her mother the fastest way possible, and not telling Alice and Jasper was that way. Because they would probably try and talk her out of it, I'm guessing.

3. Bella is able to resist Jasper's calming power. Do you think she actually successfully resisted, or that he gave up when she broke contact?

When I first read it, I thought it was because she actually resisted. I made a mental note about it just like when she said that she could smell blood. But now, it seems just as likely that Jasper just stopped. I guess I'm split on this one, heh.
<center>[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/heyquitpeeking/Yoyo/ban.png[/img]</center>

bronzehairedgirl
Human History Archivist
Location: driving through the Tennessee mountains with Emmett

Post by bronzehairedgirl »

1. What was your reaction when you realized that Alice had stetched Bella's house in Phoenix?

"Oh crap! Is he going to hide there and wait? Is Renee back yet?"

Bella was trying to save her mom. She believed James would kill Renee if she didn't follow his instructions. She knew any of the Cullens would try to stop her, so she didn't tell them.

I took it that her panic was so strong that he needed to touch her in order to be most effective. But maybe he touched her to make it more potent since she started to get sleepy. I think it was a little of both. She was able to resist and pull away. But when she said she didn't want to sleep and left the room I think he gave up.
Click my banner for The Best of Emmett
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/community/The_Best_of_Emmett/48652/][img]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o311/tmpallen/kellanemmettbanner.jpg[/img][/url]
HUGE thanks to Ouisa for the banner, Avatar by me
Fanfiction by [url=http://www.ramblingsandthoughts.com/twilight/viewuser.php?uid=187][color=yellow]Bronzehairedgirl[/color][/url] and [url=http://www.ramblingsandthoughts.com/twilight/viewuser.php?uid=952][color=green]Amber and Bronze[/color][/url]

forevermagik
Learning to Love Green

Post by forevermagik »

1. My first reaction was, "Oh crap! If Alice is seeing Bella's house then what the heck is going to happen???"

2. If Bella told Alice and Jasper what was going on, then the two of them might a) insist on going with her b) talk her out of it c) force her out of it or d) let her go but tell Edward. She knew she needed to do this alone because she couldn't stand to see any of the Cullen's get hurt because of her. That's why she had to do it alone, that's why she couldn't tell them.

3. I think it's a combination of both. She was so stressed and worried, that Jasper's power had no effect on her, no matter how hard he tried. She wouldn't let herself get calm, not in a time like this. So, when he realized it wasn't working, he just stopped.
Me siento tan normal, tan fragil, tan real. Me ellavas al espacio sideral. Y volar como lo hace Superman.

secretkeeper
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by secretkeeper »

This chapter was the part when I seriously could not sit down, that's how nervous it made me. You know what's strange? I remember EXACTLY what time and day it was that I first read this part. hmmm

Because she knows they're going to try to talk her out of going to her mother's house. Bella had just been tricked by James, and she wanted to create as little uproar as she could by falling into the trap (don't get me wrong, I don't place any blame on her whatsoever; as Edward says later: James had tricked every one of them. Just thought I'd clear that up)

He definitely had to have given up if it stopped working on her. By this point, he probably thought, 'ok, there's no calming her now that THIS is on her mind'

Nasuada
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Nasuada »

I had a really bad, ominious feeling. I knew nothing good would come of it.

She did this because she knew Jasper and Alice wouldn't let her go rescue her mother. They didn't want her to get hurt; also, Edward would kill Jasper and Alice if he knew they allowed her to get into some sort of dangerous situation.

I think she was too freaked out for it to have any effect on her. Which is understandable, considering the turmoil she was going through at the time.
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/danibef/lex_ann.gif[/img]
Tounged tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I...

Winchestergirl
Settled in Forks

The Call That Changed it all

Post by Winchestergirl »

:shock: I knew it was comming-for some reason i knew that verything would come back to where she started.

:oops: I think its the obvious, she knew they would stop her.

:) I think she resisted as Jasper still has a hard time resisting human blood and would not have a firm hold on his power as he struggles to resist Bella's blood call.

shadowfang

OMG

Post by shadowfang »

1. What was your reaction when you realized that Alice had stetched Bella's house in Phoenix? :shock: :shock: Oh nonononononononononono NO! :shock: :shock: This is NOT happening!Holy CRAP!((I completly freaked out))((PS I had to stop at this part to go see a PARADE. :roll: I was so scared and anxious.))

2. Why do you think Bella chooses not to tell Alice and Jasper what is going on. Because she 1) is paniced slightly and can't think straight and 2)wants to do whats best for her mom to NOT get her mother killed.

3. Bella is able to resist Jasper's calming power. Do you think she actually successfully resisted, or that he gave up when she broke contact?I think he just gave up