Chapter 20 - Impatience

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
nostalgicmiss
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by nostalgicmiss »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?
I think she lied to her to keep her calm. I don't think it would have helped the situation if Alice had told her Edward would off himself if Bella died. It would only complicate things and it would completely throw Jasper off the charts, I'm sure he was having a hard enough time dealing with the emotions already emitting from Bella, and I'm sure Alice too.
It may have stopped her doing what she ended up doing but at what price? I think Alice cares too much about the people around her to throw something like that at them.

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?
No I was never afraid of Jasper, he loves Alice too much to do something stupid. (**New Moon** Well he felt guilty about that I'm sure) I think that Jasper is a good person, he's just a slave to his instincts, from everything he says to Bella it's obvious he really is trying.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?
I was impressed, I thought it was an excellent explanation it made perfect sense once I read it. The whole kissing thing made a little bit more sense, I think it explain a little bit about why Edward pushes her away when she gets a little over excited.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?
Because he doesn't want her to be changed, he loves her too much to condemn her. (Not that I think he will be condemned, I think that's his thoughts on the issue) He believes in his heart that after his life ends there will be no heaven for him, he doesn't want to do that to Bella, he loves her and even though I'm sure he wants to spend forever with her, I just don't think he wants to stop her heart.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and then proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?
I think Alice only saw Bella at the studio after Bella had made the decision to go there. There was no need to tell Bella not to go, Bella's smart and she knew that going to the Dance Studio would cross her path with James. I think Alice questions Bella about why she would go there is because Alice is confused about why James decided to go there. What connection did James make between Bella and the dance studio, that's the question she wanted an answer to.
[img]http://www.elkevents.com/love.jpg[/img]
My fanfiction Story, I always wondered about Alice, she's one of my favorite characters.<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4188861/1/Throught_the_Eyes_of_Alice_Cullen">Through the Eyes of Alice Cullen</a>
<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4256119/1/Darkest_Night"> Darkest Night, Alice Fan Fic </a>

Hereandthere
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Hereandthere »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?

I didn't realize how much he would actually take it to such extremes and that he means it so much. I think that the fact that Edward's family was willing to risk their life in New Moon to fight off the Volturi of all people (or vampires...) showed how much they don't want to see Edward hurt.

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?

It showed that he really is a good guy. He needs to practice his restraint yes but that's such a natrual impulse for him (an all of them really) that how he was restraining when he was in a closed area with a human proved how hard he works at it. I wasn't really scared because I think Alice would have made sure nothing happened.

3. This is the frist time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?

My first thought "Seriously?!?! They don't need more powers!" But it made me understand why edward would never let the kissing get out of control...they couldn't exactly share siliva. Haha.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?

I think he knew she would ask him to do if he told her and that's not what he wants to happen to her.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didnt Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?

If Alice would have told Bella that she saw her there then Bella may have gone relying completely on Alice's foresight when it could easily be changed. Pretty much Alice didn't want to give her any suggestions.
Here, there, and everywhere...that's where you'll find me.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/RaiderCrash89/edward.jpg[/img] [img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/RensFeathers/Random/EdsPeople.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdamLgrH9hM]Check out Twilight for Dummies![/url] :D

Edward_Addict
Learning to Love Green

Post by Edward_Addict »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that yu have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?
-it's just right, because in new moon, it was alice who helped bella save edward from being "murdered" by the volturi by pulling a stunt. but what alice said was creepy, kind of a prediction of sorts. :cry:

-nope, it was good to hear about what he thinks, and not just from his reactions and stuff, being silent and staying away.

3. This is the frist time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?
-i think its awesome!! no other vampire story ever made them out to be venomous. :D but i never thought that edward could get venom in bella by kissing her, she wishes!!! :P

-he doesn't want bella to be a vampire, and thinks that the details would scare her anyway. :P

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didnt Alice cler this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?
-i don't think alice saw bella at the studio yet. when alice questioned bella, i think she was just trying to make sure that nothing unplanned would happen. unfortunately.. :P
[url=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][img]http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9229/mybannerglitterf1ded84cje4.gif[/img][/url]

[img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm23/death_prinsez/heartcopy.png[/img]

banners by me and hakumei@vesperarium
avatar by Enough4 @ Vesperarium =)

admirallily
Location: In a big white house in the forest by the river. They say vampires live here.

Re: Chapter 20 - Impatience

Post by admirallily »

A: It has even more wonderful meaning. It further shows the deep bond between all these characters and the love and loyalty they have for their family.

A: I was not afraid. He may have had a rough past but he's as loyal an caring as the rest of them.

A: I kind of suspected that coming. I think about their kisses in this respect a lot actually. Every time they kiss it comes to mind but now knowing that SM spoke about Bella first ingesting venom from the pizza, I have to wonder if maybe this is leading up to something in the final books. Could Bella be forming some sort of immunity? Is she already experiencing physical changes due to this? I'm interested to know and I hope the subject is brought up before it's all said and done.

A: Getting to know he, he knows what she'd do with that knowledge and since he thinks he's lost his soul he couldn't stand thinking he'd done the same to her. He loves her too much as we've repeatedly seen.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didnt Alice cler this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?

A: I think she allowed her uncertainties to cloud her judgment. She knew how fickle her visions could be and she hoped for the best. By now she's seen much of Bella's character as well and perhaps made conclusions through discussions with Edward. Perhaps she was afraid of giving her any ideas.
[img]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/admirallily/17AgainQuotebyAL.gif[/img]
Hee! I crack up every time I see that clip!

elysiepiecie

Post by elysiepiecie »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that yu have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?
It means a whole lot more now that I know the lengths Edward would go to.

I was not afraid of Jasper at all in the chapter. You could tell that he was committed to help keep Bella safe.

I figured that vampires were venomous from the past legends...even though Stephenie has put many of them to rest. It made me more aware of why Edward was so careful with Bella and wouldn't get too physical with her.

Maybe he was afraid it would make her shy away from him. Or maybe he was just trying to protect her from the gruesome details.

I don't think that she wanted to scare Bella. Plus I don't think she wanted to put too much faith into her visions as the could change. They're not an exact science.

jaspersfanpire
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Resurrecting Edward from the book and into real life

Post by jaspersfanpire »

1. I agree with ^ about New Moon changing the way I thought about it.

2. I love Jasper, of course I wasnt afraid of him. Like Alice, he knew that he wouldnt want to look at edward if he loses Bella.

3. Arent all vampires venomous? Maybe not. I hadnt really though about how that might affect their kiss at the time...

4. He wants to protect her soul. If she knew how its done, she'd want to become a vampire.

5. Yeah, she didnt want to scare Bella and make her think that things wouldnt turn out okay, considering Bella was already really worrying.
"I was with Edward in my happy place."

jaspersfanpire
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Resurrecting Edward from the book and into real life

Post by jaspersfanpire »

1. I agree with ^ about New Moon changing the way I thought about it.

2. I love Jasper, of course I wasnt afraid of him. Like Alice, he knew that he wouldnt want to look at edward if he loses Bella.

3. Arent all vampires venomous? Maybe not. I hadnt really though about how that might affect their kiss at the time...

4. He wants to protect her soul. If she knew how its done, she'd want to become a vampire.

5. Yeah, she didnt want to scare Bella and make her think that things wouldnt turn out okay, considering Bella was already really worrying.
"I was with Edward in my happy place."

CamberXite
Digging the Castle Motif

Post by CamberXite »

At first I thought that Edward would have gotten over her, but he didn't. I didn't know that he would take things to such extremes.

I wasn't afraid of Jasper at all. I thought he was amazing that he was able to be a friend to Bella.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?

I thought it was pretty interesting. Although I didn't think about them kissing.

He knows how much she wants it, and he doesn't want to give her the rope.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didnt Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?

Alice most probably thought that Bella wouldn't go looking for trouble.
<center>[img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6910/heartci7.png[/img]
[color=black][b] ✖ Chicken Noodle Soup and 2 Sodas on The Side! Aussie at heart !! ✖
Awesome banner and avie by Kit! <3[/color][/b]

[b][url=http://roomofrequirement.omgforum.net]CLICK HERE! ♥ Check Yes Juliet! ♥[/url][/b]<center>

missjulie
Wandering Through Town

Post by missjulie »

Its true, so sadly true. I don't think the Cullen's knew he would do what he does in New Moon, but they didn't want to look into his face if she were dead. I think they all have their loves and they know what it would be like to have to endure without them. That is their motivation for keeping Bella safe.

I think he treats her like everyone else does now. I was never afraid of him, I never have been really.

I was intrigued, it sort of hits a new vein for the mythology. The Anne Rice mythology is kind of similar, but I love that in the Twilight mythology they are just animals like everything else. There is nothing mystical or spiritual about them. This makes me side with Bella on the whole soul thing too. I love Stephenie Meyers mythology! I didn't think about the kiss too much, I picked up that it was a blood transfer thing.

He knows how he feels about her, and how she feels about him in return, and he knows he would want to stay with her forever. Since he's sort of sticky on the soul details, he doesn't want Bella to become a vampire so he keeps the info from her. It would be easy for her to chew the side of her mouth on purpose or something. Speaking of which, why hasn't she done that yet?!

She would have gone anyway. And anyway, Alice thought that James had made the decision for Bella to appear there, which she couldn't change. But had she said something maybe she'd have figured out that it was Bella and this could have been avoided.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/tabithaspike/forevercopy.jpg[/img]