Chapter 20 - Impatience

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
Kylara
Learning to Love Green

Post by Kylara » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:09 pm

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?

They wouldn't have to look at him; he wouldn't be around. This line makes think that none of them truely understand just how much he cares about her--yes, they know he'd be devestated, but at this point they don't seem to understand that he wouldn't be able to live without her. They are fighting to keep her alive, but without realizing it they're fighting for his life as well.

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?

Nope, 'twasn't afraid of him. It's nice to get a glimpse of who he is, and is rather dissapointing when he reverts back to his old ways once this ordeal is over and everyone is safely back in Forks. I could really understand how useful his powers would be here.

3. This is the frist time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?

I actually never thought about him kissing her when hearing about the venom; I was too enthralled about how intresting Stephenie's vampires were, and how different from the norm.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?

The less she knows the less likely she will become a vampire, I suppose :/ Now that she knows how to become a vampire she can try and talk the others into biting her, which would sound more influencial than saying 'turn me into a vampire!'. Plus, now she knows the nitty gritties and can honestly say she wants to go through that. Lastly, he still thinks of himself as dangerous/bad for her, and perhaps he didn't want her to know exactly what he was capable of.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice cler this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?

I don't really think that she saw Bella there; at that point Bella hadn't made a decision to go there, so Alice wouldn't have been able to see her there. My guess is that Alice assumed Bella would be there at some point, otherwise why would James be there? As for why Alice didn't tell Bella to stay away, I'm not sure :/
<center>One of Roo's Guinea Pig Barbies <33
[url=http://twilight.volturi.org/]Twilight Fans[/url] | [url=http://bella.volturi.org/]Bella Fans[/url] | [url=http://jacob.volturi.org/]Jacob Fans[/url]</center>

Hopelessromantic__101
Settled in Forks

Post by Hopelessromantic__101 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:36 pm

If Alice had never told Bella how the change from human to vampire happened, Bella would have tons of possibilites in her head that could even frighten her, such as: there's pain everyday. The pain lasts for a year after you're bitten

OK I need to clear this one up. tje pain does not last for a year its's three strait days of horrendous, agonizing, flat out pain. + I don't think that Edward exactly wants to watch that pain if you get my drift.
"I love you"
"You are my life now"

heart wrencher!!!

teenibopper1
Fishing with Charlie

Re: Chapter 20 - Impatience

Post by teenibopper1 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:45 pm

Alphie wrote:We can all breathe a sigh of relief that now we can answer these questions with new Moon information in our minds! YEAH! Becasue my first question has to do with just that!

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that yu have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?

3. This is the frist time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didnt Alice cler this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?

1.I think that I knew subconciosly what he would HAVE to do(or im vain about my mind) so I think that, well, if they want to look at a pile of ashes for a hundred years, thats their decison and it would also ruin the story.

2.I think it gave me respect for Jasper. He is struggling so hard to live a normalish life and not to harm anyone! And he doesn't scare me, but that is probably because i relate with the lion :)

3.It added a special exitement to the kisses, and was a better explaination than the biting.

4.Because she might get the idea to like, TRY to get bitten.

5.Hmmm.. someone else answer this one.
(.)(.)
(^.^)
/.....\
Help Bunny take over the world. Copy and paste this into your siggy.
[img]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s293/teenibopperone/LimeIcon.jpg[/img]

Aerin
Settled in Forks

Post by Aerin » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:12 am

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that yu have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?

I, personally, think that Alice believed all along that Edward would kill himself if Bella were to die. Alice has felt love, and she would be able to imagine losing that. Losing Jasper. I think Alice had a different reason for saying this to Bella. Different than the obvious one. I think she really wanted to protect Bella from the Tracker because she loved Bella. Saying that it was for Edward was masking the way she felt for Bella. She didn't know how Bella felt for her and maybe she didn't want to put herself out there quite yet, letting her know she already felt like her sister. That's just me, of course...

I wasn't afraid of Jasper in this chapter [New Moon is a different story, however]. On the contrary, I felt like he was very [excuse the irony] human. To see the way he interacted with Alice, I feel, really connected him to the story. Before this, he was just a character who was there so Alice would have a mate, but after this chapter, I saw him as his own important character.

Okay, I don't think this is really answering the question, but it must be said. When Edward kisses Bella's throat [all the many times], my heart does this little flip-flop. Not only do I think the danger makes it so much more sexy, but I think every time he kisses her throat, he is proving how much he loves her; he shows her every time that he can restrain his natural instincts to keep her safe. This feeling was raised exponentially after reading the first chapter of Breaking Dawn and seeing how incredibly difficult it is for Edward to not bite her.

Why else? To protect her. He doesn't want her to know that any vampire can do it because he knows deep down that if she wanted to become a vampire, one of his family members would do it.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didnt Alice cler this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?

I don't think Alice saw Bella at the studio because at that time, Bella had no idea about the studio, therefore she hadn't made the decision to go there yet. I also think that telling Bella that James was there was warning enough for her not to go there.
And if I bleed, I'll bleed,
Knowing you don't care.
And if I sleep just to dream of you
I'll wake without you there,
Isn't something missing?
Isn't something.......

--

XD Page 14, Twilight:
"I can do this, I lied to myself feebly. [i]No one was going to bite me.[/i]"

[shifty eyes]

Edward+BellaFan93
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Edward+BellaFan93 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:31 pm

Well i haven't put much thought into this but Edward would kill himself if Bella died so...they wouldn't have to look at him...which is sad.

No, I was never afraid of him during this chapter. We got to see his personality shine.

I never thought about the whole kissing thing, actually.

Hmm...well i honestly haven't thought much about this so...no comment. Let me think about this question for a while now!

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice cler this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?
Well Alice probably didn't see Bella there because Bella's choices kept changing, maybe?
*I Love Edward Cullen!*
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/tara_176biz/Dir20en20Grey26.jpg[/img]

GrrSjijb

Re: Chapter 20 - Impatience

Post by GrrSjijb » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:53 pm

Absolutely true.

Actually. I was awestruck. a) i made so much sense and tied so many loose ends. b) i was reileved Edward held back.

So she wouldn't take it against him. It's not exactly the best thing to know.. maybe deep inside he really does know he will soon give up and turn her. But also, he would'nt want her to know too much.

So bella wouldn't be more frantic than she alrady is.

Arinya Tingilya

Post by Arinya Tingilya » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:27 pm

I don't think they thought of THAT. It's just....Edward was alone all the time, now he founds Bella and he's HAPPY. I couldn't see into my brothers eyes, if his girlfriend died and I didn't help him to rescue her...

We learn how much he adores Alice and that he's a really nice person, he wants to help Bella and make her feel more comfortable. He really cares about the family, but most about Alice, he's fond with her, although he seems to be a reclusive person.

I was very surprised, but never worried. Edward wouldn't do anything what could put Bella into danger (well, except of staying with her, but without she isn't necessarily safer...).

Because he knew she would wish to become one and he don't want her to be a vampire.

It didn't seemed to me as if Alice saw Bella at the studio, she just saw her, when Bella made her decision to go. But if she saw Bella before...I don't now, she wasn't frightend, so she must thought there would be nothing to bad waiting for Bella. Maybe she saw the chance to get rid of James.
"You can always cancel, you know."
"No, I can't."
"Perhaps you're right."

Faithful Cullenist and proud member of the CARLISLE HOUSE!!!

Cullenists - more than just fans.

xxTopaz_heartxx
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by xxTopaz_heartxx » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:56 pm

I really hope she never does die, and is always with Edward.

No, I love Jasper!

It made complete sense, everything made sense when i read that.

So she doesnt want to become a vampire...but she found out anyway.

I dont think that Alice actually saw Bella.
[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r102/LYLAS295/confessions.png[/img]
[color=violet]*Clicky: http://world5.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=59118350
Lovely banner by Impasse![/color]

xxTopaz_heartxx
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by xxTopaz_heartxx » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:56 pm

I really hope she never does die, and is always with Edward.

No, I love Jasper!

It made complete sense, everything made sense when i read that.

So she doesnt want to become a vampire...but she found out anyway.

I dont think that Alice actually saw Bella.
[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r102/LYLAS295/confessions.png[/img]
[color=violet]*Clicky: http://world5.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=59118350
Lovely banner by Impasse![/color]

ArdaSilverlace

Post by ArdaSilverlace » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:37 pm

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?

I think the Cullens greatly underestimated how hugely Edward loved Bella. I don't think anyone realized, not even Edward himself, how very much he adored Bella. Anyway, I thought this line was very touching - so beautiful that I went, "AW!" when I read it. But I did that a lot during this book.

No, I was never afraid of Jasper. I was fascinated! His character presents such a mystery and I want to solve it! We learned that Jasper isn't purposefully anti-social; he just avoids Bella for her own good. We also see how adorably in love Alice and Jasper are - and in my book, anyone who can love another so thoroughly must be good.

I'm not that fond of poisonous snakes and the venom thing instantly reminded me of hooded cobras, venom dripping from their bared fangs. It was kind of alarming, but I wasn't worried for Bella. Edward would never endanger his beloved.

Well, Edward doesn't want Bella to get any ideas into her head. Like getting one of his siblings to bite her, or stealing his toothbrush, which hopefully has his saliva still on it, and using it. Or some such drastic thing.

When you tell someone not to do something, they're going to do it! Especially if that person is as stubborn as Bella. If Alice had told Bella not to go there, Bella would've known that James would be at the ballet studio, and since James wanted her...why not go there and put everyone else safely out of danger?
[color=purple] When Emmett does a push-up, he doesn't go up, the world goes down. [/color]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/8764/twilightjh6.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2176/theclipsela3.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1412/eighthorcruxesoq7.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/453/remembersiriusog1.jpg[/img][/url]