Chapter 19 ~ Goodbyes

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
pelirroja

Chapter 19 ~ Goodbyes

Post by pelirroja »

The chapter summary can be found here

1. What did you think tactic Bella uses to get out of her house? Does she go too far?

2. There is a lot of interraction among the Cullens. Aside from Carlisle, the one person who can get an upset Edward to listen is Alice. What do you think that says about their relationship?

3. Why do you think Laurent chose to leave James and Victoria and head to Denali?

4. Were you surprised that Jasper could felt that Bella was worth it. What do you think lead him to that conclusion?
Annabella
Rosalie's Good Twin Sister

Post by Annabella »

1. What did you think tactic Bella uses to get out of her house? Does she go too far?
Well, she really hurt Charlie's feelings on that one. I think the only reason she got out of the house was because Charlie was too stunned to respond to her. However, it was for good reason. I suppose she didn't go too far, but the way she wet about it was rather harsh.

2. There is a lot of interraction among the Cullens. Aside from Carlisle, the one person who can get an upset Edward to listen is Alice. What do you think that says about their relationship?
I think it says that they mean an awful lot to each other. If Alice were to be upset with Edward, he would probably hate himself. And vice versa. This might be because they;re both gifted and have to cope with the powers that they have together.

3. Why do you think Laurent chose to leave James and Victoria and head to Denali?
I think it was because he wanted to join the Cullens. He showed a lot of interest in them and their life style.

4. Were you surprised that Jasper could felt that Bella was worth it. What do you think lead him to that conclusion?
I wasn't surprised. Although the book is very suspensful, it now takes an awful lot of surprise me when somethign shocking happens. I think he was lead to the conclusion by how stressed Bella was. If it had been me, I would have been pulling my hair out because I would hav thought that I ruined everything for the Cullens.
secretkeeper
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by secretkeeper »

She just did what she had to do, even if it was way below the belt. Charlie wasn't about to let her leave, so as she said herself, 'I was going to have to hurt him further.'

I think that it showed that their connection is incredibly strong, probably because their 'gifts' are so similar. I know from experience that, when two people have a bond as strong as that of Edward and Alice, they can bend one another to their wills with little to no effort.

He was interested in the Cullens' lifestyle, but he didn't want to get involved in the fight, so he removed himself from it.

I was pleasantly surprised at this part. We find out that the only reason he was keeping his distance from her was that he didn't want to tempt himself. At this part, it comes to the fore. I think he was led to that conclusion because he could feel what Edward felt about Bella, so here, he was pretty much hinting what Alice said later: Edward can't live without her.
forevermagik
Learning to Love Green

Post by forevermagik »

1. Well, Bella might have gone a little too far. Most likely because she hurt Charlie in the same way her mom had. But, if she didn't go so low, Charlie wouldn't have let her leave.

2. It showed that they are really strong and that they can work really well together in times of trouble. The two of them are willing to listen to each other, even when they don't want to see the reason that the other is pointing out.

3. He wanted to remain neutral. The Cullen's lifestyle intrigued him, he wanted to give it a try. So, he followed his curiosity and removed himself from the fight.

4. Jasper could feel exactly how much Edward needed Bella. That's how he could tell that Bella was worth it. Because, without Bella, Edward would be like an empty shell.
Me siento tan normal, tan fragil, tan real. Me ellavas al espacio sideral. Y volar como lo hace Superman.
Taxi
On a Pixie Stick Sugar Hi

Post by Taxi »

It was effective. I don't know how long it would have taken if she chose to do anything but play on Charlie's fears. That was probably the last thing he wanted to hear come out of Bella's mouth. I think that's why it worked so effectively. Mmm, I don't think she went too far. She was really just protecting Charlie, and I don't think you can go too far while doing that.

I think it shows how much respect that they have for one another. How much they understand each other.

Because I bet he figured that if he cut off the affiliation that he wouldn't get hurt by the Cullens. Or maybe it was all just part of some bigger plan, I don't know.

I don't think I was surprised. I think I remember crying though, haha. It was just so powerful and sweet. I think that he made that cunclusion because he feels how much they care about each other, and how much love is emanating off of both of them.
<center>[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/heyquitpeeking/Yoyo/ban.png[/img]</center>
wodnesdaeg
Settled in Forks

Post by wodnesdaeg »

It seemed harsh, but she was in a position where she had to really hurt Charlie to get him to let her leave and she had to go to save his life. The end did justify the means.

I think that their gifts set them apart from the rest of the family to some extent. Kind of like their own little club. And this makes them closer and more in tune with each other.

Edward said that Laurent was only with James and Victoria for convenience, that their bond wasn't very strong. And also that Laurent was embarrassed by James' behavior. Laurent said he was intrigued by the lifestyle of the Cullens.

When Laurent has to make a choice between siding with James against a very large, strong coven/family or siding with the Cullens against James who is absolutely lethal, it is not surprising that he would act out of self-interest and remove himself from the confilct and head for a place where he will have more time to explore the lifestyle that intrigues him.

Not really. We know that Edward had been talking to his brothers about Bella. We know that the family can see a positive change in him because of his relationship with Bella. And we know that Alice expects Bella to become a member of the family, there is no reason to think that Jasper wouldn't go along with Alice.
"It was much more pathetic than hearing voices. And, of course, you know I do that, too."
maryalice
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by maryalice »

While it may have been extremely harsh, like Taxi said, it was effective. I think it was one of those times where you have to hurt the ones you love to protect them.

That Alice and Edward are very close, like actual siblings.

I think Laurent left so he wouldn't have to deal with all the crazyness, and step on anyone's toes.

Because he knew how much Bella meant to Edward, and he had seen how much Edward had changed since Bella came into his life.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/purplecheeze/untitled1mb6.jpg[/img]
[i]--Thank you, Banna![/i]
[b]8. Until Bella Swan moved here, we all thought he was gay.[/b]
LunarEc;ipse
Vampire Bartender

Post by LunarEc;ipse »

Well, depends really, to tell you the truth, I felt it was a bit too cruel for my taste. But, at the time being, it was the only option. I really do think Bella OWES Charlie an explanation, but not the watered down one, THE REAL THING!

To me, it says, that there was an unbreakable bond between them. I wouldn't say Siblings, because, well, the average pair of siblings wouldn't get along that great. I would say, something deeper than siblings, and deeper than friend.

For me, it's that he wanted to see who would win. And if he choose either side, he would be running the risk of losing, and he's too much of a chicken to do that. I mean, think about it, if he joined the Cullens, he would have to adapt to their life-style, and I'm thinking he doesn't it that much (and with Bella around, it would have been impossible). If he went with James, that would mean giving up his cushion-y hospitality that he had with the Cullens. Overall, he was a coward, and I'm glad he got what he deserved in New Moon (Not Spoiling it!)

Well, yes and no. For the yes, well, Jasper's first impression wasn't exactly the best in the world. He wasn't really that open to Bella. Looks are decieving, as we learn that from his statement.
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/Summerwind159/themanyfacesofJack.jpg[/img]

Somethings you can't grow out of.............

No, the ";" in my name is not a typo.

"But you see, just because we've been dealt a certain hand, it doesn't mean we can't choose to rise above it - to conquer the boundaries of a destiny that none of us wanted.." Edward Cullen, pg. 307, Twilight
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/Summerwind159/Carlisle-1.jpg[/img]
Kylara
Learning to Love Green

Post by Kylara »

1. What did you think [of the] tactic Bella uses to get out of her house? Does she go too far?

I don't know, this one is hard to say. I want to say she went to far because she didn't really need to hurt Charlie's feelings and it does seem like she could have just left and he wouldn't have stopped her. Then again, I'm not sure what other excuse she could have used (and given that she didn't have much time to think anything up really, I'd say she did pretty well) that would have made sense for her then wanting to come back days later.

Reading the book you can tell he respects her, and it seems like she's probably the 'sibling' he's closet to. Also, they both do have similar gifts which are quite different from the others, so it does make sense that they'd stick together. Also after reading Midnight Sun it sheds a whole new light on their relationship :P

He doesn't really seem like the type who'd approve of that sort of thing, nor did he seem confontational. It seemed like he was with the other two for conviences sake rather than anything more binding, and that he was the odd-man out. Also he seems like a curious guy, so it makes sense he'd be intrested in checking out the whole 'not eating people' thing, regardless of if he wants to life like that or not.

4. Were you surprised that Jasper felt that Bella was worth it. What do you think lead him to that conclusion?

No, it wasn't too much of a suprise. Like someone (Alice, I believe) already said, they had known Edward before he met Bella, and didn't want to see him if he lost her. Plus, none of the Cullen's were really worried for themselves so it doesn't seem like (from their opinion in any case) what they were doing for her was a huge thing.
<center>One of Roo's Guinea Pig Barbies <33
[url=http://twilight.volturi.org/]Twilight Fans[/url] | [url=http://bella.volturi.org/]Bella Fans[/url] | [url=http://jacob.volturi.org/]Jacob Fans[/url]</center>
`Edward.
Y Chromosome Grand Inquisitor

Post by `Edward. »

I still do not like how Bella left. I know it was a hasty situation, but she didn't have the right to be as cold and vile to Charlie like she did. It was like she was Rosalie, when Rose actually talked to Bella. She was vile, discontempt. She tortured Charlie with her mothers last words, and I don't know if she could have gotten any lower than that. It was wrong on her part, regardless of the situation.

Alice is already an incredible person in general, and she is the closest thing that Edward has to a sister figure. Sure he has Rose, but she's different, and she was made to be a lover.. but that situation worked out all wrong. Alice overall is a likable person. I can see how he can be calmed down by her. She looks so young, so innocent. It's like telling a three year old that they can't have the ice cream cone they've been screaming about for the past hour. You just can't do that because it would hurt too much, and besides that, Alice already knows Edwards decisions, and she can change what he wants to do because of it.

I don't think that Laurent ever thought that James would truly win. He knew that James was determined, but with a covenant of vampires as big as the Cullens, the prospects were really bleak. Laurent was also more of a passive person, who merely traveled with James and Victoria out of convenience. He would leave them eventually anyways. Why he went to Denali though, I am unsure. Mabye he really did want to learn more about the "vegitarian" lifestyle, but knowing that the Cullens wouldn't be around to help him out with that, he would have to resort to the next best thing.

Um, I'm really not sure. I think that he would have done whatever Alice asked of him, and Alice loves Bella. He wouldn't want to hurt her, and even moreso than not wanting to hurt Edward. I think that it was nice of him to consider it though, and it took him a lot of inner strength to do what it is that he did. It shows that he is capable of compassion for Bella, the human. Who would think that the kid with the most trouble sticking to the "vegitarian" diet could feel something towards a weak human such as Bella?
Call me Darrell~

That's pronounced Dare-ul.

"Hell hath no fury like Alphie P. O'd" - Pelirroja