Chapter Three ~ Phenomenon

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
virginiax7
Has caught sight of Edward

Re: Chapter Three ~ Phenomenon

Post by virginiax7 »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
Given everything we know about Renee, its obvious that, while she's a nice person, she isn't the world's greatest mother. She's a little scatterbrained, and loves Bella very much, but isn't a very stable person, so she's not very good at taking care of someone else too.
2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
I had to go back a read it again to make sure I didn't miss anything, just in case. I think I managed to get everything the first time though.
3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident?
Charlie's a good dad, but sometimes he gets a little...enthusiastic at times.
4. This is the first time we meet Carlilse. What were your first impressions?
Hot hot hot. :wink: I wish my doctor was as nice as him...(And as good looking, jeez. That would make going to the doc a lot more fun!)
5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
I got a little scared of him, since he was being kind of harsh, but I wanted to know what was going on, so it was intriguing at the same time.
[size=75][b][color=yellow]VMT Queen of Sprinkles[/color]
[color=cyan]"It may, after all, be the bad habit of creative talents to invest themselves in pathological extremes that yeild remarkable insights but no durable way of life for those who cannot translate their psychic wounds into significant art or thought."[/color][/b][/size]

onyxblooms
Wandering Through Town

Post by onyxblooms »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
-She's more lead by whims and instincts than logic.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
-I think I got it.

-It was pretty mild compared to what my Dad, and I think most parents, would have done. I think that's a good thing though, he didn't freak out, he got all the info before deciding how to react, of course he worried a little anyway but, hey, he's her dad that's natural.

- My only impression came from his reaction to the mention of Edward, I though Edward was going to get yelled at little kid style when he got home. Lol.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
intrigue
[img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/Midnight57/edwardbiz-1.jpg[/img]

Vasian
Settled in Forks

Post by Vasian »

It seems as though even though Renee loves Bella, cause clearly she does, she is having a hard time choosing between Bella and Phil. Which at her point of time is understandable.

I definitely realised that I missed the finer points when Bella thought about the accident later.

It was cute and showed a side of him that was rather surprising yet at the same time expected.

The he has got to be hot!

It definitely intrigued me because in a way it makes him seem mysterious and mysterious people always intrigue me.

nostalgicmiss
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by nostalgicmiss »

Someone suggested to me once wouldn't it be sweet if it was Edward who put the chains on the truck. I thought that was a cute idea and it could fit in, if Alice had seen something.
But back to the point at hand... I like Renee, she seems like a good mother, even though Bella's recollections mostly point to her restraining her mothers impulsive decisions. I think she loves her daughter and being away from her for such an extended time really plays on her emotions which is causing her to over react.
Bella has always been a klutz so I'm sure Renee is used to constantly worrying about her, but being that Bella is across the country she probably feels like she has no control over the situation. i think that Renee would have headed back to Phoenix if Bella had agreed to come home. I don't think she ever really wanted Bella to leave, but Bella wanted her mother to be happy so she made the decision herself.

I think I got it right off the bat, but after reading it a lot more than once it's hard to be sure. I think that the scene was written well it really captured the chaos of the moment. I find every time i read an action sequence I start speed reading to keep up lol.

I think he acted the same as any other father he panicked. I think the fact that he is the Police Chief and arrived with the lights and music is priceless, it would be any teenagers worst nightmare. Charlie may have a hard time showing emotions but it's evident he loves his daughter.

Hello Doctor!! lol I can imagine sitting in a hospital room and seeing him coming around the corner. I think I would be inclined to get sick more often!!!
But honestly I was impressed, I think that it was important to meet Carlisle so early because this made it a little easier to understand Edward, up to this point the Cullens' had been mysteriously silent (Except Edward of course). It was important that we were able to see how kind hearted Carlisle was because it set the standard for the rest of the Cullen's. (If that makes any sense!)

It shocked me a little when he said the "I saved your life I don't owe you anything!" comment. It just didn't sound like Edward at all. But when you think a little more deeply about it he was trying to deflect her from her quest to find the truth. And when she was being as stubborn as she was it was more likely his only choice.
I also liked the little inside joke that only he got after Tyler apologized... "No Blood No Foul!"
[img]http://www.elkevents.com/love.jpg[/img]
My fanfiction Story, I always wondered about Alice, she's one of my favorite characters.<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4188861/1/Throught_the_Eyes_of_Alice_Cullen">Through the Eyes of Alice Cullen</a>
<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4256119/1/Darkest_Night"> Darkest Night, Alice Fan Fic </a>

Krystal928
Wandering Through Town

Post by Krystal928 »

I think it makes Renee seem somewhat irresponsible, but then any over protective mother or any mother would be worried about their child.

I realized that something was different and got a little confused. I re-read the part to make sure i had it right, and i was just thinking WOW!

It obviously shows that he loves his daughter even though he doesn't like to show emotions, but it would be embaressing to have your father come with his cop car and the lights on. : )

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions?

He reminded me of a nice, good guy. But don't forget hot! XD

A little of both. It was interesting how it didn't even seem to bother him, but that is also what made it frightening.

:wink:
[img]http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj196/krystal928/911cullens.png[/img]

victorian_ravenblack
Settled in Forks

Chapter One

Post by victorian_ravenblack »

First, I think that Edward put the chains on Bella's truck. He says later in the chapter that all he could think was "Not her," and if he was already in that mindset, then I think he would have put the chains on her truck.
I don't really like Renee. In this chapter she begins to show how overprotective she is of Bella; later on, she doesn't want Edward and Bella together because she doesn't want them to rush it, yet she's been married twice, and if she says that she's happy Bella was born, then why does she have to be so darn protective?

I missed some of the finer points. But I got them when I went back to reread the books again... and again... and again :D

He's a good father, even if he's a little bit... enthusiastic.

He's amazing, duh!

At that point, I thought that he was overreacting a teensy bit. Later I realized that he ALWAYS overreacts.
"I feel like pudding. Pudding with nerve endings. Pudding in great pain."
-Maximum Ride

"Shall I rephrase? Breakfast time for the human."
-Edward Cullen

"One less leech with a fancy ride. My heart bleeds."
-Jace

L O V E S B O O K S

PixieDrink
Learning to Love Green

Post by PixieDrink »

pelirroja wrote:The Chapter summary can be found here

My impression was that she was that she was being a little overprotective. I think that, because Bella has lived with her mother almost all her life, that her mother thinks that she is still her little girl.
I prefer Charlie to Renee but that may just be because he is in the book a lot more that Renee and that I got to know him a little better.

I admit I had to read the accident scene twice before I took it all in, because when Bella said about the dent in the truck because of Edward's shoulders I had to go back and read it again to understand where that came from.

Well, in one way he did what I expected but in another way he didn't. I knew he wouldn't do the whole sympathetic thing that a mother would have done but he must have been worried enough about it that he phoned Renee. So on some level he was very worried but on another level he knew she would be okay. I think.

With Charlie's explanation I knew he was going to be nice the way he said that the nurses were distracted. But then I found out he had blond hair!!! How much nicer could he get.

I don't know. kind of both.
I was intrigued but frightned, does that make sense?
But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it; for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Those violent delights have violent ends And in their triumph die, like fire and powder
Which, as they kiss, consume.

www.dylanmoranfans.forumakers.com.

diamond encrusted
Banging out dents with Tyler
Location: At Jeb's...uh..."house" with Ian, Wanda, Mel and Jared

Post by diamond encrusted »

well...i'd always known that Bella was the responsible one and Renee...not so much..so it didn't surprise me that she wasn't used to being taken care of...

I missed the finer points...coz it was so exciting...i just kept on reaing and reading...i didn't really get ALL the finer points of anything until i read it again...

he was obviously worried about her so naturally he would have been freaking out...if Edward didn't save her...she would have died for sure...even with Carlisle as the doctor...she would have been crushed straight away...

Woah...awesome father...and somethings not right [shifty eyes]

they surpirised me to be honest...[/b]
[img]http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs30/f/2008/111/4/9/Bella_and_Edward_Banner_by_adeline_ninja.gif[/img]
[i]Dreaming of [b]Edward[/b][/i]
[i]Waiting for [b]Ian[/b][/i]
[b][u][i]Team Edward!![/i][/u][/b]
[b][u][i]Team Ian!![/i][/u][/b]

Avatar and Banner made by yours truly...[url=http://adeline-ninja.deviantart.com/]ME!!~ XD [please clicky!!][/url]

KB
Settled in Forks

Post by KB »

That she is very over dramatic and likes to overreact in order to feel like she has a better grasp on the situation.

I understood all of the details, but I was confused about how Edward was able to do it.

I thought it was good and fatherly; and he did the right thing by calling Renee.

Where do I get a doctor like that? I thought that he was sneaky and secretive; i didn't trust him.

I was SO intrigued. I couldn't read fast enough!
[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/korbincullen/bellaandedward.jpg[/img]

ms.Bloodsucker
Settled in Forks

Post by ms.Bloodsucker »

Renee is too over protective to Bella. But in this book, Renee isnt too much worried about Bella. And Renee give Bella an email in the begining of the story. Just it.

I think that Bella was save in Edward's protection. And honestly, I didnt recognize that the hand of Edward was againts the car. How impossible there is! Altough I see the teaser trailler now, Im still confuse about that.

I thought he was shock.

I tought that Carlisle is a very nice doctor.

Yes he did. This moment are frighten me. I tought that Edward will be not nice to Bella.

*sorry for my bad english.