Chapter 18 - The Hunt

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
bella is my hero
Wandering Through Town

Post by bella is my hero »

1.i didnt realize what they meant by catlike.i figured that the eyes meant that they were different from the cullens in that sense.

2.i felt different.um... it just had more suspense than previos chapters.i felt that he protected her immensly because he loved her more than anything else in the world.

3.i think that she saw bella as a vampire and edward didn't want her to know that.mainly,alice's take was probably if she was changed,he wouldn't hunt her anymore.

4.yes,in the end,james was killed and the process was so much faster than if edward was looking for him.
"sleep,my bella.Dream happy dreams.You are the only one who has touched my heart.It will be forever yours.Sleep,my only love."-edward cullen
hellosunrise.
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by hellosunrise. »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?
I could definitely tell that there was going to be trouble, just by how Victoria kept looking at each of them, and how James decided to go after Bella. It was very obvious with their eyes being a different color, nothing good could come of it haha.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?
I felt the same, I could tell that it was going to be more then just a love story. I do like how the book has two sort of plots that intertwine, Bella and Edwards love combined with the hunt.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?
I wasn't quite sure the first time i read over it, but once i re-read the section I understood what Alice had been thinking of changing Bella.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you ahve suggestions over what they shuld have done differently at this point?
I think they could've come up with a better plan, but with their time issue and what not, I think it was the best option they had.
bunny99
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by bunny99 »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?

The "carnivorous" vampires seemed so different than the Cullens. They were wild and animalistic (is that a word? lol). They survived on instinct alone, unlike the Cullens who adapted to the lifestyle they chose to live. I figured the red eyes were an omen.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?

I felt the rhythm of the story increase. My heart was beating faster each page I read, especially when Edward was trying to protect Bella. I liked that it became a little more exciting.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?

I knew the other option was to change Bella by the way Edward reacted. Edward was upset because he was trying his hardest to protect Bella, and he felt that changing her would be doing the opposite.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?

Considering everything, I think they made the right choice. They couldn't stay in Forks and protect Bella and Charlie. Even though Bella was severely hurt, James would have killed her if they chose anything else. Everything worked out fine in the end.
virginiax7
Has caught sight of Edward

Re: Chapter 18 - The Hunt

Post by virginiax7 »

They are very creepy. Even more so with the red eyes. I did guess that that had something to do with their "diet".
I think at this chapter, there was kind of a plot twist. The whole book its been Edward who Bella is in danger of, and now he has to protect her from something besides himself.
I'm pretty sure this is mentioned somewhere, but I think that she was saying if Edward changed Bella, then James would have no reason to come after he, and she would be safe.
4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you ahve suggestions over what they shuld have done differently at this point?
I think Bella's plan was pretty good. If she went with Edward, James would have found her very quickly, and that would not have been good. I think they should have killed James right after he tried to attack Bella the first time, but thats just me. :)
[size=75][b][color=yellow]VMT Queen of Sprinkles[/color]
[color=cyan]"It may, after all, be the bad habit of creative talents to invest themselves in pathological extremes that yeild remarkable insights but no durable way of life for those who cannot translate their psychic wounds into significant art or thought."[/color][/b][/size]
chompchomp57
Banging out dents with Tyler
Location: somewhere between The Meadow of Joy and the Valley of Contenment

Post by chompchomp57 »

I was scared. The way they handled themselves was almost as if they were trying to intimidate the Cullens. I figured they weren't "vegetarians" because of the way Bella described their eyes, facial expressions, ect...

I never thought about that.... I just want Edward and Bella to get married already!!!!!

I thought she was thinking Edward should turn her, but at that point, we didn't know a whole lot about that....

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?

He should have bit her!!!! *sigh* why is that action constantly being held off??
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3500/cullensbannerje8.jpg[/img][/url]
onyxblooms
Wandering Through Town

Post by onyxblooms »

-As a group, they struck me as well formed, especially when it was revealed that Laurent wasn't the leader, they were intelligent for being in a group at all, and even though they were dressed raggedy, they kind of had an arrogance about them, much like typical vampires. As individuals, James struck me as the live wire, the most unpredictable and instinctual, Laurent the cultured one, probably James' wing man, and the one who came up with the plan to keep James safe by acting as leader, definately the politician of the group. Victoria, "henchwoman", if you will. I immediately picked up on the relationship between she and James, but I kind of caught on that it was more of a physical and animalistic relationship than the others in the story. Yes I knew immediately what their eyes meant.

-Of course it took on a whole new urgency, a whole new twist. I think that was the point of it coming when and how it did. Bella's just had a nice day, she met the family, the family loves her, their playing baseball and having a blast and then DUN DUN DUN. Very effective, genius.

-I don't think Alice has any specific options in mind, she just knows that whatever Edward saw in James' mind, it sent him into a panic, and leaving things the way they were would only lead to more trouble. She's trying to provide a cool calm voice in Edwards chaotic conscience.

-Yes, I think it would have gone better if Edward had gotten his way, but there was no way to know that at the time. Under normal circumstances Bella's plan would have been superior, but James has a "sixth-sense about his prey", Edward not being his prey, I don't think that James would have bothered to tune into him. Then he would have just had to deal with Charlie thinking that Edward and her ran off somewhere together.
[img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/Midnight57/edwardbiz-1.jpg[/img]
nostalgicmiss
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by nostalgicmiss »

I think their red eyes immediately gave away their diet. Stephenie is always so descriptive about how warm the cullens' eyes are and to me the color red means danger.
The first impression was that of danger, the way they are described they sounded almost like wild animals in human form, I'm sure it would have been very intimidating to come face-to-face with these nomads.

I completely agree the serenity of the love story changed into a chaotic fight for survival. Although there was always a danger for Bella, being so close to a coven of vampires, it didn't feel threatening until the nomads and their red eyes showed up.

The other option, I think, was to change her. I think it's the only thing that would make Edward get as aggressive as he did. It was an option he never intended to produce to Bella.

I'm not sure, I think they would have found her anyway. It may have taken a little longer Edward's way but in the description that Edward gives of James' mind it was evident he wouldn't give up until he found her. I think that James would have figured out holding Bella's family over her head, keeping them in danger would have taken it's toll on her. I think her plan would have worked perfectly if she had never called her mother (Sorry I'm jumping ahead here!).
[img]http://www.elkevents.com/love.jpg[/img]
My fanfiction Story, I always wondered about Alice, she's one of my favorite characters.<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4188861/1/Throught_the_Eyes_of_Alice_Cullen">Through the Eyes of Alice Cullen</a>
<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4256119/1/Darkest_Night"> Darkest Night, Alice Fan Fic </a>
EchoLynn
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by EchoLynn »

A: THE EYES GIVE IT ALL AWAY. THOSE RED EYES SHOW THAT THEY LITTERALLY LIVE FOR BLOOD....UGH.. LOL

A: IT JUST GAVE ME THE 'THINGS ARE GETTING STARTED' FEELING... I FELT BAD FOR EDWARD THOUGH, SINCE HE IS FALSELY BLAMING HIMSELF.

A: EDWARD IS FIGHTING THEM, TRYING TO KEEP THEM FROM REVEILING THAT OTHER OPTION TO BELLA. THE OTHER OPTION IS HER BECOMEING ONE OF THEM...PERMANENTLY...

A: WELL, THERE PLAN WAS PRETTY GOOD. BUT I WAS THINKING IT WOULD BE BETTER FOR BELLA TO BE AT THEIR HOUSE SUROUNDED BY ALL OF THE CULLENS. THINGS WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER ON THEIR TURF.
"What those muggle nutters that cut people? Nah, they're Healers!" Ron Weasley - Order of the Phoenix
[img]http://i31.tinypic.com/okr4b8.gif[/img]
[url]http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/viewuser.php?showuid=94204[/url]
[url]http://www.fanfiction.net/~echolynn[/url]
Hereandthere
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Hereandthere »

They filled the image of what vampires should be like or at least how they've been usually portrayed...a bit wild and thirsty for blood. The animal like features are what surprised me at first but then again when they live like animals they're bound to be like them. I didn't connect the eye thing at first but when I did it sort of creeped me out and now makes me wary of people who wear red contacts...or so they say. :P

Yes. Suddenly it was no longer a romantic story of a a human and vampire in love with boundaries and secrets to keep from the world to a bit of an adventure.

I think it was turning her into a vampire. I don't remember if this is mentioned in Twilight or in New Moon (sorry if it's New Moon) but Bella asks Alice if she ever saw her as one of them in her visions so Alice could have been thinking this would be a good time. Or her subconscious may have been hinting to her what actually happened to her when she turned but doesn't realize it.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they shuld have done differently at this point?

Her plan was actually better than the other options that were presented. The problems were that Bella was overly concerned with too many things. I know she was just trying to protect Charlie and Renee but it got a bit out of hand later on.
Here, there, and everywhere...that's where you'll find me.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/RaiderCrash89/edward.jpg[/img] [img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/RensFeathers/Random/EdsPeople.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdamLgrH9hM]Check out Twilight for Dummies![/url] :D
Edward_Addict
Learning to Love Green

Post by Edward_Addict »

-they were the real bad-donkey vamps. as individuals, i thought victoria was creepier than the guys. :P yup, i connected the eyes and the blood quickly, but then i did a double take. so animals have gold blood? :twisted:

-i just felt that the book was nearing its climax. i never actually thought that edward was a threat to bella except he might break her heart. :roll:

-edward turning bella. maybe alice's subconcious was telling her what happened to her when she herself was hunted. :shock:

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they shuld have done differently at this point?
-mmm, for the book, bella's plan was better. but in real life (yes i believe vampires are real!!!) edward's plan made more sense. differentlt? im not sure.... :?:
[url=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][img]http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9229/mybannerglitterf1ded84cje4.gif[/img][/url]

[img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm23/death_prinsez/heartcopy.png[/img]

banners by me and hakumei@vesperarium
avatar by Enough4 @ Vesperarium =)