Chapter 18 - The Hunt

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
Bells
Settled in Forks

Post by Bells »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?

I thought they weren't as terrifying as a group as James was alone. Victoria seemed so feral...but Laurent I respected. I think it registered somewhere in my mind about the eyes, but that was definitely not my main focus at the moment.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?

Definitely. Before, it was mostly a romance, and the biggest concern was Edward controlling himself. But now it had much more action, and they were trying to keep /James/ from eating her.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?

Alice is referring to changing Bella. If she became a vampire, James would have no use for her.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you ahve suggestions over what they shuld have done differently at this point?

I think Bella had a better plan than Edward, but the simplest thing would have been to change her. True, it would have probably been just as messy in some points, what with James wanting revenge for changing her, but I think I like Bella's plan the most. It was rather tidy at the end.[/b]
forevermagik
Learning to Love Green

Post by forevermagik »

1. I was scared for Bella, because I wasn't sure how the other vampires would react to a human in a vampires midst. I kind of figured that the different eye color had something to do with the kind of blood they drank.

2. Before, my greatest worry was Edward losing control, now, there's something bigger going on. There is now a possibility of Bella being hurt by James. There is more action and suspense now. From that point on, I couldn't get my nose out of the book. (Not that I could have gotten it out anyway!)

3. Alice is reffering to changing Bella. Because if Bella was a vampire, then why would James have any use for her? Edward of course doesn't want Bella to be a vampire. That's why he says there isn't any other option.

4. Bella's plan definately is better. Even though James went after her anyway. I think no matter what they did, James would have tracked her anyway. This plan worked out for the best. There wasn't anything they could have done differently.
Me siento tan normal, tan fragil, tan real. Me ellavas al espacio sideral. Y volar como lo hace Superman.
Taxi
On a Pixie Stick Sugar Hi

Post by Taxi »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?

I don't rememeber thinking much of them. They were outnumbered by the Cullens so I really didn't think of them as a threat. Yes, I remember making the connection about their diet and their eyes.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?

I did notice the change in pace and contents. There was more of an external conflict than an internal one.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?

I think the other option is turning Bella. Right then and there. Alice probably had a vision about it.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?

Yes, I think Bella's plan was better. Running away in a straight path couldn't have accomplished much. Bella's mixes it up. I think what happened was inevitable, the confrontation, that is. Alice and Jasper together make a great team. And Alice being able to see the possible future was pretty handy. So, no, I wouldn't have changed anything.
<center>[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/heyquitpeeking/Yoyo/ban.png[/img]</center>
megaphor
Settled in Forks

Post by megaphor »

I was nervous, because the cullens seemed at least a little freaked out. I also thought that there would be more of them. I thought all vampire "families" were as big as carlisles.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until now, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?

Yes. This is like the part of the Harry Potter book where they go into the big finish fighting Voldemort or something of that nature. Before it was all about Edward and Bella and their issuses together, but now they have to deal with this as well.

The other option is turning Bella into a vampire. I thought it was strange that Edward was so dead-set against turning Bella.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?

I think Bella's plan was best because, like Taxi said, a confrontation was inevitable. Edward's plan only would have prolonged the wait and might have caused more devestating results. If they were on the run, they wouldn't know when James would attack, but this way Bella sort of had the upper hand, since she knew that she was meeting James and was prepared for being tortured or murdered. It probably would have been better if she had told Edward and he had gone along with her plan, but we all knew that it wouldn't have happened.
“The worst part is that I saw the whole thing — our whole life. And I want it bad, Jake, I want it all. I want to stay right here and never move. I want to love you and make you happy. And I can’t, and it’s killing me. It’s like Sam and Emily, Jake — I never had a choice. I always knew nothing would change. Maybe that’s why I was fighting against you so hard.â€
_dreamingwaking
Settled in Forks

Post by _dreamingwaking »

It was tense, that's for sure. Vampires are not predictable, at least in this book, so you don't really know what's going to happen. Plus, with the concern of the scent of Bella's hair, there was that little 'click' that they didn't follow the same diet as the Cullens. And, of course, the eyes were a dead giveaway.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until now, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?

The rhythm completely changed. At first it was all the tension of 'well, what's going to happen next?' between Edward, Bella, and the acceptance of the Cullens. Then it even got to a more upbeat feeling with Edward meeting Charlie and the thunderball game. With the Hunt, the suspense is so much more powerful. Even though Bella was in danger with Edward beforehand, thanks to that bloodlust of his, now that you have a Tracker in the mix who cannot control himself and lives for these things it just hits you.. whoa, her life span has just plummeted.

For me, it was turning Bella into a vampire. It seemed like she wasn't meaning it as a straightaway sort of thing, but more of a 'you should have listened to me sooner' type of hinting. Of course, it could have been both ways, but that's how I took it.

I agreed with Bella's plan, even though splitting up the group can sometimes end terribly. Despite the end result of her plan, I think things could have gone so much worse, considering they had distracted Victoria in Bella's plan so James and her could not ban together properly. They had to be seperated [as heartbreaking as it was to have Edward and Bella seperated and to hear her fantasy of what would have happened if they actually met at the airport like they were supposed to].

-Leah
So get [u]back[/u], [i]back[/i], [b]back[/b] to the disaster.
My heart's b e a t i n g faster.
Holding on to f e e l the [b]same[/b].[list]Everyone knows I'm in
Over my head, [i]Over my head[/i].
With eight seconds left in overtime,
She's on your mind, [i]She's on your mind.[/i][/list]
Starfish127
Learning to Love Green

Post by Starfish127 »

1. They're really scary! I connected their eyes to their diets. It just made sense. You could tell they were totally different from the Cullen's and the colleens had brown eyes and they were "vegetarians". I kind of just put two and two together.

2. The mood definitely changed for me. Before this point everything was just fun and games and normal to a degree. Now Bella's getting a taste for the real thing, what REAL vampire are like. Now instead of it being just a love story...it's a run for your life story. I literally could not put the book down after this point!

3.I think Alice was hinting to the fact that they could turn Bella into a vampire. What other option could Edward be so mad about?

4. Well, I don't think Edwards plan would have work very well at all. And since Edward was so insistent on keeping Bella human, I don't think Alice's plan was an option. Bella's plan sounded the most reasonable to me. Almost a happy medium. Now that I know what happens, I think maybe Edward should have gone with Bella and let the others throw James off. If he was with her maybe things would have worked out differently.
I still think changing her would have been a good solution to the problem though, at that point at least
shadowfang

hi

Post by shadowfang »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank? I think that the fact that they drink blood has everything to do with thier eye color.go to stephenie meyer's site and read the first chapter of midnight sun and you'll see what I mean.All in all,I think they were,well,terrifying.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different? I felt a huge change when I read this part.Suddenly edward doesn't listen to Bella,ignores her completly while he tries to keep her from the hunter.Meanwhile Bella's life is in mortal danger from a vampire and for once she's actualy scared,for her and her familly.Very different...

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is? Alice probably saw what Bella's plan was because she had decided on it,and since Edward won't listen to Bella at the moment,Alice tries to tell him instead.(As you know, Bella eventualy gets him to listen.)

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they shuld have done differently at this point?I think that Bella's story could have been she was going to visit pheonix and would be back in (insert time here)so that her dad wouldn't be suspisious of whether Bella "fell down the stairs".but Edward's plan wasn't that smart.leaving Bella's dad in danger of a vampire that drinks human blood...NOT a smart idea.

P.S.I think the book was glued to my hand as I read the rest of the book. :)
UnInspired_Genius
Settled in Forks

Post by UnInspired_Genius »

As soon as the color of the vamprires' eyes was mentioned, I thought,"Uh oh." Definately, the color of their eyes reflect not only the type of blood they drink, but their overall personality. The color red, used in this context, stands for evil.

I was really thrown off during this chapter. Millions of emotions were flooding my brain, and I even cried. Before this chapter, the book has been a steady flow of Bella-with-Edward. But when she was getting hunted, Bella was away from Edward, and it took me a while to figure out how I felt about that.

Of course, Alice was suggesting that they turned Bella into a vampire. Atleast, that's what I think. I believe that Alice suggested this because, in some subconcious way, she remembered that was the way she got away from the exact same hunter. Weird.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you ahve suggestions over what they shuld have done differently at this point?

My friend and I talked this over endlessly, and I even ranted to my mom about it, and I came up with the conclusion that Bella just didn't think her plan through. What made her think that James would kill her and not kill her mom? He could have killed both of them. In my opinion, she should've stuck with the original plan for many reasons:
1: If all had went well in Bella's head, she would've been killed in the place of her mother. But what mother wants to bury their own child?
2: Renee had her chance at life.
3: Bella knows how much she means to Edward and the Cullen family. Why would she want to hurt them after they'd risked everything to keep her alive?
Edward+BellaFan93
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Edward+BellaFan93 »

well i figured something with the blood drinking had to do with the eyes.

This part was really confusing to me so i'm not sure.

well Alice was probably talking about turning Bella into a vampire and that made Edward really mad. I don't like when he gets mad
!

well to be honest both of their plans were not planned through thoroughly.
*I Love Edward Cullen!*
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/tara_176biz/Dir20en20Grey26.jpg[/img]
zombie
Wandering Through Town

Post by zombie »

I did think that the red eyes had to do with them drinking blood. It makes sense - red eyes for the "bad" ones, gold for the "good" ones.

I think the book got a lot more intense after the other vampires showed up. Before they were there, it was all about Edward and Bella falling in love and it was very romantic and sweet, but after they were there, it had a much faster pace and there was a lot more tension.

I thought the other option was turning Bella into a vampire.

I think Bella's plan was the best that they could have come up with under that amount of stress. It's not realistic to think that they could have sat down and thought of every single side of a plan before they decided on one. They had to act, right then.