Chapter Two - Open Book

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
yellowcarrots22
Settled in Forks

Post by yellowcarrots22 »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
I thought that he was just chillin' at home. I was pretty slow at making the connection that his dissapearance had anything to do with Bella and believed she was selfish for thinking it.
2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
That Bella is basically an adult. She's the one to take care of her parents, either emotionally and physically. This would make her more mature and grounded than her peers sense she was to busy being having more responsibilities than other children.
3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
I thought it was ridiculous, and somewhat of a cruel joke. How does anyone get off with acting like a jerk one day and the son of Ms Manners the next? It made me much more suspicious of him (I'll admit, curious as well.)
4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?
That his eye color changed with his mood. Oh so creative. :P

Kater07
Settled in Forks

Post by Kater07 »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?

This didn't confuse me at all. I knew he left because he couldn't eat her in class. I figured that he ran away to eat or at least stay away from her.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?

I think that she's pretty selfless and I am saddened that she's thrown into the roll of mother (for Renee) and caretaker of Charlie. Really, what 17yo needs to be in charge of taking care of her parents? It's not that I don't like Charlie or that I think Renee is a bad mom, but Bella seems to worry like a mother herself too young.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her? I just figured he'd gotten a grip or fed well. I didn't know much about the series when I started reading, but I knew from Ms. Meyer's description that he must be the (a) Vampire.

4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color? Food, relaxation. Really, I didn't take him as really being angry with her in the beginning. I just thought she'd really hit a nerve. It was obvious to me that the vampires weren't really having problems controlling themselves in school until new blood arrived. That was probably really hard for the whole family.
Cheers,

Katie
Wife to my HIM and mom to 2 wonderful kids

leopardgirl314
Giving Bella a Bandaid...again

Post by leopardgirl314 »

I thought he was just staying at home or went camping. I thought he just needed time to think about why he a girl could make him so mad.

I thought Bella must have grown up at a young age. She's learned to deal with life as it is, and not sugar coated.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
I thought he felt bad for the way he treated her before, and was trying to show he was nice. I thought the inital reaction was just a first impression....though I couldn't explain it.

4. What was your first explaination for the change in Edward's eye color?
I thought since he was in a better mood, he was "lighter". When people are in bad moods, they tend to look "darker". So I thought he was just happier, lol.
[img]http://twilight-fans.com/twilight-blends/29.png[/img]

'Are we going to feel complete at the end of Breaking Dawn?'' she whispered pleadingly....''I can't really answer that question for you,'' she said, her voice both cheerful and firm. ''But I felt closure.''

~*You can call me Caryn*~

atrociousprincess
Learning to Love Green

Post by atrociousprincess »

1. I thought he needed some time alone to work out whatever issues he had with Bella (ooh I was sort of right!)
2. It tells us that Bella has learned to take care of herself...and others, so she's a lot more mature than the typical teenager.
3. I see why half of my friends are in love with this guy :wink: *swoons* It made me think that his first reaction had something to do with his vampire-ness(because obviously he wasn't that repulsed by her)
4. I definitely thought that his eye color changed according to his mood (someone should totally invent mood contacts! wait...do your eyes change temperature? to yahoo answers! 8) )
[img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/twilight_confession02.png[/img][img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/eclipse_confession06.png[/img] [img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/newmoon_confession12.png[/img][img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/flipflopkitty/twilighticons/twilight_confession18.png[/img]

SparklingVampiress
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by SparklingVampiress »

I had No freakin' Idea!! I was think the same thing as Bella. Why could he hate her so much!! I thought that he just dropped out or something!
I thought she was a very motherly person by nature! It didn't seem to me that Bella Loved being the caretaker, but she was sort of drawn to that position by her nature. She was used to taking care of them and their needs!!
I had one of those wait, what, Moments! I was confused by this guy! But i was glad he talked to her!! I thought it was kind of a show, but i suspected more that he was ashamed at his first response to her!! He wanted her to forget!
4. What was your first explaination for the change in Edward's eye color?
I thought it had to do with his emotions. I've read other vamp books and thats usually why they change color in other book. I just assumed!
~*~*Thats the way, a huh a huh, I like it, a huh a huh*~*~