Chapter 17 ~ The Game

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
*cullens & converse
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *cullens & converse »

1) What did you think of Billy's convesation with Bella and her response?
It's none of his business, so him starting the conversation was unnecessary. Bella handled it very well, I think, even though her tone may have been a little standoff-ish, it was for a reason.

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home?
I thought that as it went on, he was a little nicer, but his sternness wasn't needed, so in the beginning he didn't handle it well, but it was probably lack of the situation ever happening before.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself?
Yes, he is too hard on himself...I mean, he has to be, considering the situation, but he does a better job than he realizes.

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly?
Not really, I figured it would've happened anyway, so I didn't consider how or why, when, etc.

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her?
I feel like she doesn't like to hide the truth, which is good..Edward had told Bella she fell off a cliff, but she flat out said that she jumped, and didn't hide it...I feel like she's a very free person, and her opinion of Edward being like her first child makes me respect her more.
[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/cullens_converse/ssg/pippa.png[/img]
^Thank you Saffy (t1gr), my wonderful secret santa, for the set! It's gorgeous, thank you!!

[url=http://z7.invisionfree.com/vesperarium/index.php?showtopic=210][img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/cullens_converse/animfinalcopy.gif[/img][/url]
<3GOPATRIOTS

amoredward
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by amoredward »

I was surprised at Bella's' feisty-ness? I mean, she was more assertive here than I had seen her up to this point.

2) Did you approve of the way Charlie treated Edward as the first boyfriend Bella ever brought home?

Ha ha. I thought that it was funny'"how he treated him. But hey, aren't most all dad's like that? I couldn't blame him.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is too hard on himself?

Well, he is a vampire, so I don't think he's being too hard on himself. To me, he was more underestimating himself.

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly.

Truthfully, yes. I was like 'You should have made that so much more romantic! What was that?!?!?!' But I do have high expectations--even for Edward (though he often surpasses them :wink:) and he didn't make it on this one.

5) We learn more about Esme, was your impression of her changed after learning more about her?

I liked her more. She was so open about things that are very hard to be open about, and I saw her as strong. For what she's gone through to be able to just talk about it like that, I don't know. I really liked her by this point, though.
[img]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/MMarieB_bucket/winning%20bet%20banners/amoredwards.gif[/img]

[img]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x170/amoredward/Twilight%20Banner%20and%20Other/theairsun.jpg[/img]

Lovely janner (Jake-banner, for all you silly coneheads!) by LovesTwilightx3!!!

Sansa
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Sansa »

Billy was worried about his best friend's daughter and spoke that for Charlie's sake. I understood Bella's words, because Billy was merely too much a pain.

It wasn't a bad way of treating him. I think he didn't know what to say to Edward.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is to hard on himself?

Yes, I do. I mean, Edward knows how often Bella's blood tempt him.

4) Edward finally says "I love you". Were you disappointed in how it came out almost off-handedly.

No, I wasn't disappointed. Maybe he needed to be... ready to tell that.

I loved Esme and felt pity for her, because she did really suffer a lot before Carlisle changed her.
"Unfortunately, the clock is ticking, the hours are going by. The past increases, the future recedes. Possibilities decreasing, regrets mounting."

iheartedcullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 17 ~ The Game

Post by iheartedcullen »

I thought it funny how they had this whole conversation about what was going on without really saying anything.
Billy obviously has a serious prejudice against the humanloving vampires. Go figure.

I did approve. It was very fatherly.

Yes and no. Bella is partly responsible and he is always overlooking that. But, either way, its still pretty irresponsible for a vegetarian vampire to be kissing a human. Sexy as it is... its still irresponsible.

No, I think it was perfect. Not forced, but a natural part of the conversation.

I felt empathy. I was feeling glad she had ended up with the "family" she had.

Shadowcat
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Shadowcat »

pelirroja wrote:1) What did you think of Billy's convesation with Bella and her response?

1. Um, I thought they were both being buttheaded. Billy was a butt to bring it up, and Bella responded with buttheadedness. Which I guess was perfectly fair. Billy deserved it.

2. It was rather breif. I don't know, Charlie seemed normal and Charlie-ish. It was how I expected him to be.

3. Eh... sometimes. It seemed perfectly rational to me.

4. Actually, I barely noticed. I was just like, 'Oh, okay.'

5. Esme hasn't been much more than a minor character for me throughout the whole series. I don't really think about her that much... and I don't think I really thought about her that much the first time I read it.
<center>
[img]http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1961/brilno9.jpg[/img]<center>

Edward<3
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Edward<3 »

I thought that Billy was butting in, although i like his character very much. Bella had the right to tell him to keep out of it.

a non-embarrassing dad! hooray! of course! he even remembered Edward's name.

3) Edward talks about his inner turmoil regarding constantly putting Bella into danger. Do you think he is too hard on himself?

definitely. He shouldnt be so hard on himself. he just needs to be careful. thats all. if he loves Bella then he should just be with her and not worry.

no! at least he said it. i just wanted to hear him say it to her face. we all figured he loved her, but it wasnt definite until he actually said it!

I could not believe she tried to kill herself. she is the sweetest person. all that was going through my mind was "how can someone as sweet as Esme try to jump off a cliff?" i was in shock. Someone even tried to talk to me and i just stared into space.
"Tell me what you want, and you can have it."
"You," I mumbled almost incoherently.
"I'm yours."

RunningWithVampires
Learning to Love Green

Post by RunningWithVampires »

I was really surprised how well Bella handled it. I would have just sort of stared, mouth open, head slightly angled..."ummmm, well..."

I didn't really think much of it. Yeah, yeah Charlie trying to be a good dad...

Yup. It kind of annoyed me actually.

Not too much, who didn't know it already?

I always loved Esme from the start, I loved how she was so open about everything. Either her or Alice would be my favourite vampire.
Rachel:)
“This hostage stuff is fun.â€Â

Twilight Fan
Settled in Forks

The game

Post by Twilight Fan »

Answer: All I thought at first was "Thank goodness that Charlie wasn't there" or we might have had a crisis on our hands! I totaly understand Bella's response.

Answer: No no, and NOOOOOOOOOO! Edward SO does NOT DESERVE that kind of treatment!

Answer: Yes. He is just too over protective. But he worries like crazy about Bella.

Answer: No. I just thought it was cool that he said it at all!

Answer: No.
Jealous of Bella
www.edwardsmeadow.com

mommavamp
Wandering Through Town

Post by mommavamp »

Billy is a really good friend to Charlie and he was not aware of how much Bella already knew about the Cullens. He was just being an overprotective friend. Bella set him straight.

Sure. He did a fine job.

Edward underestimates how strong he really is. He is right about putting Bella in danger simply by her being with him. I mean...Vampire!

I do not feel it was off handed at all. It was very natural to me the way it came out.

I love Esme. She is a gentle "soul" who really wanted to be a mother, for that time period her actions are understandable. Now she is a mother to an awesome family.

lollylew
Settled in Forks

Post by lollylew »

1) What did you think of Billy's conversation with Bella and her response?

I think he was truly trying to warn her without giving himself away. I believe that with her response to him, he figured out pretty quickly that she knew who the Cullens "really" were.

I really didn't approve especially after trying to defend the Cullens early on in the story. He was being a little hypocritical.

Yes I do. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the fact that really has no experience in dealing with feelings for a human girl and just thinks that all he is desiring to do is kill her.

Not really. It was a good moment as any to tell her. He had just invited her into his life and wanted her to know how he really felt.

Not really. Edward had already explained that she was very compassionate and she showed that to Bella.
[img]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/lollylew/Esmeschildren2.jpg[/img]