Chapter 16 - Carlisle

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
Culls
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Culls »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill? I think the thing that surprised me the most of those things, was the part of no breathing. The other things I kind of knew.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans? When Edward told Bella that, I immediately thought of the movie Boondock St's. The main characters there kills mafias and people they think are evil. It's a very difficult question, because is it right to take lives at all? Hm, I don't know. I do not think so, really.
But Edward was and still are a vampire. I suppose he got tired of just drinking animalblood and decided to taste humanblood. It's described in the book as Edwards rebellion-time, and I guess that really tells it all.
And no, I was not surprised.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask! I don't know. But I hope he'll get one soon. Where are Bella supposed to sleep when she spends the night over at his place? :shock:

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden? I think that the fact that Bella now knows about him and his family makes him feel like he really can open himself to her. She has accepted him for what he is, and that makes it easier for him to tell her about their history and vampire-things.
I've already heard this before.

Alcyone
Has More Hidden Talents Than Aro

Re: Chapter 16 - Carlisle

Post by Alcyone »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?

Carlisle trying to kill himself, hands down. Breathing I took easily whereas they can't be vampires without being hard to kill in some way. But Carlisle's numerous attempts at suicide took me a aback. From what we knew, he hadn't struck me as the type to even try though I understood why.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?

As much as we may view it as immoral, drinking from humans isn't. We're their natural prey. It's nature to feed upon those lower than you; you have to derive the things your body (well, mind here) needs from somewhere.

As for his feeding upon only the bad, I could see why but disliked him for it. It seemed too much like a god-complex. I choose who lives and who dies. It's excellent that he tried to help others. But I'd have felt better toward him and his character if he'd fed on a random innocent every now and then. It would have him appear more--not human but not vampiric either as it has negative connotations. More alive, maybe? Nah, when I think of the adjective I'll edit this post. But it would have made me warm up to him more. I liked Twilight Edward, except for this. His God-complex I couldn't handle.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!

*snicker* Not too long actually. They may not need sleep but a bed is good for just daydreaming, lying down and reading a book, watching TV, being with a significant other... :wink:

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specifically changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?

Probably that the meadow broke down a lot of barriers. He realized that he didn't have to hold back so much. It'd take a lot more to send Bella off running and screaming bloody murder.
<center>[url=http://www.thehostlibrary.com/thelibrary/viewuser.php?uid=2][img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/alcyoneh/dk7.png[/img][/url][url=http://www.ramblingsandthoughts.com/twilight/viewuser.php?uid=1265][img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/alcyoneh/dk14.png[/img][/url][url=http://alcyonev.livejournal.com/][img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/alcyoneh/dk13.png[/img][/url]
Click icons for fun links!
Fawesome Batman icons by suzyx at LJ</center>

RunningWithVampires
Learning to Love Green

Post by RunningWithVampires »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?

Very difficult to kill. And why just very difficult, what was it that seperated it from impossible?

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?

I was pretty shocked he would tell Bella and if I were her right there, there would preobably be a voice in the back of my head screaming "RUN!" And kudos to Edward for only hunting the hunters!

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!

Once Edward and Bella become more serious. (I'm answering this a little too late...)

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?

He figured out that he and Bella can make this relationship work, everything will be okay, and he is 100% in love with Bella PLUS she loves him.
Rachel:)
“This hostage stuff is fun.â€Â

Edward<3
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Edward<3 »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which is the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?

they didnt need to breathe because that is the hardest concept to grasp.

I would have assumed that he might do that when he first became a vampire. he wouldnt have known what was "right" or "wrong". I believe that his choice was very reasonable.

dont know when but i do know that he will get one! what if Bella wanted to stay the night? :wink:

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?

I think it is because he told her how he feels about her, she feels the same, and she is not afraid. he feels more comfortable around her now that he knows this.
"Tell me what you want, and you can have it."
"You," I mumbled almost incoherently.
"I'm yours."

Edward<3
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Edward<3 »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which is the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?

they didnt need to breathe because that is the hardest concept to grasp.

I would have assumed that he might do that when he first became a vampire. he wouldnt have known what was "right" or "wrong". I believe that his choice was very reasonable.

dont know when but i do know that he will get one! what if Bella wanted to stay the night? :wink:

I think it is because he told her how he feels about her, she feels the same, and she is not afraid. he feels more comfortable around her now that he knows this.
"Tell me what you want, and you can have it."
"You," I mumbled almost incoherently.
"I'm yours."

natanyx
Wandering Through Town

Post by natanyx »

I never realized that they didn't need to breathe, but once that was brought forward, it made sense. Still threw me for a loop but it made sense. I was also surprised a bit that they're so difficult to kill, even though they're already "dead", I figured their death would still be the same the second time around. But it makes since that their "undead", so killing them presents a bit of a challenge.

I was a little surprised but agreed with Bella. He was doing it to survive and was going about it as humanely as possible, he was able to control himself to only go after those doing some kind of wrong doing. You could even say that he was helping out.

Hahaha. I can't say anything since I know how this turns out.

He was probably really floored that she had met his family and nothing horrible had happened. He saw that she really wasn't bothered, she wasn't acting, and that he could genuinely trust her, he was beginning to really see her for who she was and what she thought.

I run with vampires
Settled in Forks

Post by I run with vampires »

Um probably the fact that he tried to starve himself he just doesn't seem like someone who would commit sucide

It seemed normal to me and I would actually be surprised if he had stuck to the vegetarian diet his entire vampire life and the fact that he only killed bad humans shows that he is not such a bad guy after all

oh my wow! I can't really say anything because well I already know whats going to happen!

I think its pretty much what everyone else is saying you that he knows that he can trust Bella and he can trust himself not to hurt her because he loves her so much!!!! :D
"His memorized my face the same way mine were tracing his and in the moments that his lips were free he whisperd my name"

natanyx
Wandering Through Town

Post by natanyx »

Both them being difficult to kill and not breathing threw me for a loop. I grew up on Buffy The Vampire Slayer, so I was very stuck on my ways that stabbing the heart would turn them dead. (:p) But it makes sense that since they're dead, killing them again takes a bit of effort.
The not breathing surprised me the most, since I never connected dead + not breathing = normal. I figured although physically dead, they still needed to breath.

Since Edward had been a seemingly innocent character once him and Bella started talking more, I was a bit surprised. But although surprised, once Bella threw the logic into it, it was more than reasonable. He was new, in unfamiliar territory and discovering things for himself. Edward being Edward, I was intrigued by his choice to only go after humans that were on route of bad deeds-noble even in "evil scheming", I guess you could say.

I can't answer this. But oh man, loved the description of his room. So, Edward. :p

Like he said, he was expecting her to freak out an d wish to never see him again, that whatever drew him to her was all a figment of his imagination. But because he plainly saw that it wasn't and Bella knew that what she was being told was to be expected, they both became increasingly more comfortable with everything.

almost a bella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 16 - Carlisle

Post by almost a bella »

I stress the importance in discussing this chapter that those of you who have read New Moon need to still keep your spoilers to yourself! It won't be long and we can discuss them freely.

Carlisle trying to save himself. He really hated himself at that point, a big change from now.

It made him seem a little more human, he wasn't as perfect as we all thought. he was getting even deeper with Bella. also it hink he was testing her, to see if she still like him even if he killed some bad men.

Probably not long^^

He getting use to it being so open with her, and knowing she not going to run off screaming.. He starting to trust himself and he sees that Bella dosen't think he is such a monster.plus most ofhis family likes her. he in love with her too.
TWILIGHT: The story of the lion and the lamb. A modern tale of Romeo and Juliet.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;0;5/st/20080802/e/Breaking+Dawn+Release/dt/-1/k/611c/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Fan Fics:on fanfiction.net 9user name: lavenderbella0
Jane's Visit
What? Engaged1

mommavamp
Wandering Through Town

Post by mommavamp »

All of it is surprising, but the most is Carlisle trying to starve himself. I mean he was so appauld at what he had become he really went thru it to try and do away with himself.

Like Bella, I thought this was reasonable. Vampires drink human blood, that is what they thrist for. I did find it said a lot about the Edwards character that he only went after "bad" people.

The fact that Bella knows, knows everything and accepts it is why I believe Edward feels right in being himself now.