Chapter 16 - Carlisle

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
HopelesslyDevotedtoEdward
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by HopelesslyDevotedtoEdward »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?
It probably all surprised me a little but I must confess - I have an awful memory. I hardly remember what I was thinking most of the time when I was first reading Twilight, and I'm so used to these things now that none of them surprise me any more, so it's hard to tell.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?
I thought it was reasonable, and it's easier for him to not feel as guilty if he can read their minds and kill only the bad ones. Not that it's much of a justification, but it should count for something. But he is a vampire, and it's in his nature, so it's not like it was a huge frightening shock that's he's drank human blood before.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!
What does he need a bed for? He has the sofa...the floor.....lol :P

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specifically changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
He doesn't have to second-guess himself anymore because for one thing he knows that Bella is completely dazed by and in love with him and she also thinks he is a good kisser :D they've already discussed so many private things, what's the point in keeping things secret anymore?
Team Edward!
*Because only a vampire can love you forever*
Member of the [color=cyan]COCL[/color]
[b][color=red]Officially converted to Cullenism![/color][/b]
x.bite.me.x
Settled in Forks

Post by x.bite.me.x »

For question number three I have a question myself. I remember reading on here that when a person gets turned into a vampiretheir body is in a frozen state.. if Edward DID get a bed, even if Bella is transformed, would it even be possible for them to use it in the way that many people are talking about on here? Could they acually ever ..well...you know :wink:
&& ive raised my standards to Edward Cullen <3 - x.bite.me.x
Twilight94
Settled in Forks

Post by Twilight94 »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?
I was pretty surprised the Carlisle was able to attempt to starve himself. I knew that he was a compassionate person already, but I didn't know that any vampire would be strong enough to not drink any blood at all for such a long period of time.
2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?
I thought it was sort of okay. He was a young vampire back then, so it was harder for him. It shows that while he did give in to the temptation, he was still strong enough even back then not to drink just any human's blood.
3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!
Probably not until Bella is transformed (if she is), because...well, you know. I think we can assume that all the other couples in the Cullen household have beds, since all the couples share a room.
4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
Probably because he knows at that point that it doesn't matter about keeping secrets anymore, since Bella knows very well that he is a vampire. It's probably also because they have admitted their love for each other. And he knew he was accepted and didn't have to be afraid of Bella running away screaming or something like that.
x.bite.me.x
Settled in Forks

Post by x.bite.me.x »

nobody answered me...how are we even sure that Bella and Edward can use the bed even if they are both Vampires? Their bodies are frozen, can they still be intimate?
nyaa-chan
Settled in Forks

Post by nyaa-chan »

All answers are in italics.

I feel like that they didn't need to breathe, and how they're very difficult to kill were the most surprising to me. I felt like that each one was interesting, but I felt like that those two surprised me the most.

I felt like Bella that seemed reasonable, because he is a vampire after all. I thought that his choice to kill only "bad" humans was reasonable too. It's like the manga/anime series "Death Note". Good, yet bad also for killing people.

I think it will be a while.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?

I think that how Bella accepts him as a 'monster' also helps the fact, also how she knows a lot about vampires.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/anime_manga_fan/TwilightLexiconSignature.jpg[/img]
x.bite.me.x
Settled in Forks

Why are people ignoring me...

Post by x.bite.me.x »

Can somebody please answer my question that ive posted twice :?: :( it really hurts being ignored
*cullens & converse
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *cullens & converse »

It surprised me that they didn't need to breathe. They move so fast and they have such strength that I though they'd need to breathe for it, but then it came to me that it makes sense- the dead do not breathe. So, it would make sense that they didn't need to, but it still was a little shocking to hear that, just picturing them watching people walk around breathing in and out, but they don't need to. Carlisle's starvation didn't surprise me, I think that's why he can be so resistant around his patients, he became used to not hunting so he doesn't have such a stronger need for it.

I think his choice makes a lot of sense. Because he was a newer vampire, and wasn't used to his actions, he had a reason...and good for him that it was only bad humans. I wasn't surprised about that, though...it's his strong conscience that made him do that, and it makes sense.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all?
I don't think it really matters...I was more interested in all of his music, I'd definitely like to see that!

I don't really know, but I think he had come to terms with the fact that his relationship with Bella was set, it was never going to end.
[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/cullens_converse/ssg/pippa.png[/img]
^Thank you Saffy (t1gr), my wonderful secret santa, for the set! It's gorgeous, thank you!!

[url=http://z7.invisionfree.com/vesperarium/index.php?showtopic=210][img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/cullens_converse/animfinalcopy.gif[/img][/url]
<3GOPATRIOTS
amoredward
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by amoredward »

Well, the not breathing thing wasn't so much of a shocker for me, because I mean, they're vampires! They are so different, that I was actually expecting things like that to be mentioned somewhere. I was SO happy that Carlisle's suicide attempts didn't work! IF they did, we wouldn't have Carlisle or Edward or Emmett, or this story! And I, again, wasn't surprised that they're so hard to kill.

I thought that it was reasonable. I mean, everyone has those times (though I see that not everyone goes off and kills people as a result) but I was glad that at least he killed equally evil people.

Ha ha! What a good question! I don't think that he needs to get a bed until much later. For right now, they do have Bella's bed' *laugh* Now that is a funny question!

I think that part of it is that he is in his home, and most everyone feels more comfortable in their own home. Also, he has gotten rid of many of the secrets that put up a kind of barrier between him and Bella. He doesn't have to hide anything (well, he still has some secrets' ) and so he is more comfortable in that, too.
[img]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/MMarieB_bucket/winning%20bet%20banners/amoredwards.gif[/img]

[img]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x170/amoredward/Twilight%20Banner%20and%20Other/theairsun.jpg[/img]

Lovely janner (Jake-banner, for all you silly coneheads!) by LovesTwilightx3!!!
Sansa
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Sansa »

That they didn't need to breath. I had thought that oxigen was as important as blood.

I wasn't surprised. Maybe he needed that, freedom. And about the fact that he killed bad humans... I think he thought it was better for everybody (for human people and for himself, as a punishment to that people).

Until Alice wants to buy it and convince Edward of having it. Or until his relationship with Bella grows.

That he was more relaxed and that Bella liked to know everything about him and met his family.
"Unfortunately, the clock is ticking, the hours are going by. The past increases, the future recedes. Possibilities decreasing, regrets mounting."
iheartedcullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 16 - Carlisle

Post by iheartedcullen »

Actually, none of that really surprised me. I just kept laughing about him swimming to France.

I, like Bella, thought it seemed resonable. He thought he was a vigilante of sorts... I'm glad he's over it though.

Oh, I think he'll get one soon enough...

The fact that he's figured out he has control over whether or not he kills her. And probably the fact the he start to understand she's in love with him no matter what. And they've gotten so comfortable with each other.