Chapter 14 - Mind Over Matter

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
missjulie
Wandering Through Town

Post by missjulie »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
I didn't think much of his human history or age. I thought he would be older than 100 actually! I wasn't creeped out at all, Bella is much older than other 17 year olds.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
For one, it was probably a painful memory, not one that he would want to remember in any great detail. Also, he doesn't want Bella to get the wrong idea. He's smart enough to know just how much she is in love with him.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
Should I go down the list? She'll be able to resist other people's mind tricks, she'll be able to abosorb others' powers, she'll be able to resist blood right away... I'd like to go out on a limb and say that she wont have any special abilities.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
Fall harder!! Its so romantic *drool*

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
I think he's being honest. He never would have thought it was possible because he hadn't been tested like this before. His love for Bella is stronger than his need or thirst for her blood, and that is very new to him.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter
He was 17 in the early 1900's, unless he was married before he died (which he wasn't) there's little reason to believe he isn't a virgin.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/tabithaspike/forevercopy.jpg[/img]

Breathe Bella
Settled in Forks

Post by Breathe Bella »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?

No, definately not creeped out. I kind of thought he might be a little older than that. I'm glad he's not because I like the human traits of his living era that Stephenie has carried through to his personality.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?

I think it was because Alice has already seen that Bella would eventually join the Cullen Coven and in his mind, the less information he gave her on the subject, the more unlikely it would be to happen.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?

This is something I think about often. Bella has many very distinctive traits that make her so extremely wonderful as a character and I'm wondering if she may take several through to her vampire existence. The true optimist in me hopes that first and foremost she may take her aversion to human blood through with her though as then I know that it will be less time until Edward and her can truly be together and happy. Other possibilities are her bravery and her perceptiveness.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?

Fall harder. And ache for his pain. To live all that time and be comletely alone every night, never being able to sleep or dream. I'm glad he found something that could alleviate that and I don't feel guilty saying so because Bella was cool with it.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?

I think he is being honest. It is one thing for him to be able to show some restraint and control over his more primal urges when he is just kissing Bella and experiencing a more innocent relationship with her. But knowing that it even then occasionally gets out of control, and him fearing the unknown of a more intimate relationship again (he is a virgin after all) there is no way he could know what would happen if he lost himself in the moment. And this is a chance he would never take with Bella's life, as he declares later on.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?

No I believed that he was definately experiencing the whole relationship/initimacy thing for the first time. Many comments made throughout indicated this in my opinion.
[img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/honkifuluvGG/sigs%20for%20ORG/dontforgettobreathe2-1.jpg[/img]
Bella's epiphany: You love me.
Edward: Truly I do.

elysiepiecie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by elysiepiecie »

I'm not sure exactly what was going through my mind when I found out about Edward's age and human history. I remembered studying about the Spanish Influenza in Epidemiology and thinking how tough of an epidemic it was. I was thinking how sad it must have been for him to lose both of his parents. I was not creeped out at all that Edward was so much older than Bella.

I think he did not want to frighten her about the pain. I think he wanted to protect her from that image as long as he could.

I have a feeling that Bella's ability would have something to do with smell as she is already sensitive to the smell of blood and supposedly humans do not have that ability.

That did creep me out a little. It seemed abit voyeuristic. But his charm won me over and I did forget about the creepy factor of it.

I think it was a combination of the both. I think being around each other and kissing is a situation in which he can control himself. But, being intimate I have a feeling that it would be easier for him to lose control.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
No I did not think that he had been intimate before. I had a feeling that he was an old fashioned type of person, like myself.

jaspersfanpire
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Resurrecting Edward from the book and into real life

Post by jaspersfanpire »

1. I think I was expecting him to be quite old. Because why else would he be so apprehensive to tell her? And no, I wasnt creeped out. I can never be creeped out by Edward.

2. He didnt want her to know how to become a vampire. Alice had seen that she would, and Edward was trying to prevent that. He didnt want to take away her soul.

3. I think its probably something to do with her mind and how its off limits and private to everyone else. The Cullens and the volturi both have spent time commenting on this trait of hers and how it will affect her as a vampire.

4. I liked it. I thought it was sweet of Edward, and besides what else is he supposed to do with all of his time at night? I could understand why he did it.

5. I think he doesnt want to believe that he could ever hurt Bella , so maybe he lies to himself a bit. But mostly hes just being overprotective.

6. I think Edward is an honest person and he wouldnt lie to Bella about that. In any relationship, its important that your partner knows of your previous intimate relationships. Plus edward seemed genuinely pleased that they had that one thing in common.
"I was with Edward in my happy place."

CamberXite
Digging the Castle Motif

Post by CamberXite »

Nope, wasn't creeped out at all! : )

Maybe because Alice had already seen it? And he didn't want her to get any ideas.

I'm actually really not sure. I've thought about this though.

Fall harder!!! I thought it was SO adorable!

He was just being honest. Which is a good thing.

I thought he was feeling it for the first time.
<center>[img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6910/heartci7.png[/img]
[color=black][b] ✖ Chicken Noodle Soup and 2 Sodas on The Side! Aussie at heart !! ✖
Awesome banner and avie by Kit! <3[/color][/b]

[b][url=http://roomofrequirement.omgforum.net]CLICK HERE! ♥ Check Yes Juliet! ♥[/url][/b]<center>

jacob'sleah
Settled in Forks

Post by jacob'sleah »

It really didn't bother me that much. Bella seems like and old soul. I mean we learn later that he is a virgin. Like he wasn't some crazy sex manaic all of these years. He seems innocent, you know? So there was no problem.
I heart Rupert Grint!!
Forks is my happy place!
" "Don't be afraid," I murmered.
"We belong together."
I was abruptly overwhelmed by the truth of my own words.
This moment was so perfect, so right.
There was no way to doubt it.
His arms were wrapped around me,
Holding me against him....
It felt like every nerve ending in my body was a live wire.
"Forever, " he agreed. "- Breaking Dawn Cover