Chapter 14 - Mind Over Matter

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
virginiax7
Has caught sight of Edward

Re: Chapter 14 - Mind Over Matter

Post by virginiax7 »

1.What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was? Not really. I was a little suprised at how old her was, but then again, he's pretty young compared to Carlisle.
2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else? I don't think he wants Bella to know, because he has a feeling that she will want to stay with him, and might get some ideas in her head about changing herself. Also, I think it's mentioned (or hinted at) the Alice saw Bella as a vampire in a vision. I think Edward's trying to make sure thar doesn't happen.
3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
Well, I think the fact that she's immune to the talents of Edward, Jane and Aro definitely shows that she has potential for a future talent. I can see her having some kind of talent where she can protect the minds of other people from mental talents, like Jane's. Or maybe something to do with healing, since she's so clumsy...ha ha.
4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
It's cute. What girl wouldn't want Edward watching her sleep?
5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
Hmm..tough questions. I think it's telling the truth...to a point, and in some ways, still editing a little bit to protect Bella. I don't think he would outright lie, but he doesn't want to give her any ideas.
6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
Edward isn't the type of guy to run around with a bunch of random girls. He's Edward! I think he mentioned that love/lust have never existed for him in this way before. So I think that he was as innocent as Bella was.
[size=75][b][color=yellow]VMT Queen of Sprinkles[/color]
[color=cyan]"It may, after all, be the bad habit of creative talents to invest themselves in pathological extremes that yeild remarkable insights but no durable way of life for those who cannot translate their psychic wounds into significant art or thought."[/color][/b][/size]

onyxblooms
Wandering Through Town

Post by onyxblooms »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
-Lol, actually my first impression was "Ew, he's from Chicago?" No offence to Chicago but I have a cousin who lives there and she annoys me. I never get to see the cool side of Chicago because she's busy showing me the "hip-hop" side. I actually expected him to be a little older.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
-He didn't want her to bug him about becoming one, he didn't want her to think it was an easy process.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
-I think it would be possible for SOMEONE not to have a trait, like if they just picked someone at random and changed them but not Bella. There is something about her, if only the fact that her mind is locked in a safe, that definately hints at great power. I think the most obvious power would be some sort of force field to protect her and her family. I also like this other idea I saw about her turning invisible when she's embarassed.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
-Fall even harder, it's adorable how he's just naturally drawn to her mentally, it's not like he was going to do anything, he was just thinking about her all night. It made me realize that he was making a decision, he was contemplating what to do.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
-He's being overly protective, overly cautious, the fact is, he doesn't know his own mental strength yet, he doesn't want to get her hopes up for something that may not be possible.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
-I took his word for it that it was his first relationship, what guy would lie to give himself less "experience". I think if Edward had had experience he would have told her and if she was upset he would have pointed out that he is one hundred years old so that's not really a shocking thing.
[img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/Midnight57/edwardbiz-1.jpg[/img]

nostalgicmiss
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by nostalgicmiss »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
I really wasn't creeped out at all, I think it's because they are so right together. She has an old soul, and he has lived almost 2 lifetimes. They understand each other and they just fit.
I think the external appearance of Edward makes us forget that he is so much older but it also makes us appreciate him so much more, because he is so much more mature. It's really the only way it could have worked.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
I think he's afraid on implanting the idea into her head, if you plant a seed it will grow. He wants to protect her from the reality of it, and it's also more than likely a difficult memory for him. i also think that it could be something he hasn't come to terms with at this point either.

I definitely think Bella will have a trait, I'm not completely sure what it will be but I imagine that it will be important.

Fall harder, it's strange if it happened in reality I would probably freak out and attack the guy with a baseball bat. But this is Edward and at this point you feel like you know them so well that you understand why he did it. I think that's why Bella was so calm about it, she knew he was doing it out of love and protection.

I think he's trying to protect Bella, but I also think he has no idea what the outcome would be if they were to become intimate. More than likely he is protecting them both, he is physically protecting Bella because he has never been in that situation, I think he's protecting himself because the thought of losing her is probably more torturous than his urges. He loves her, he's come to the only conclusion he can, at this point.
I think that the temptation of her blood is being overcome at this point because he realizes that he doesn't want to live without her. But in an intimate moment he could lose control without even realizing it because he would give in to his most anomalistic instints.

I honestly thought he was just as innocent as Bella. In my mind I saw him as the type of person that would hold something like that sacred, he has a deep understanding of human nature due to his gift and I don't think he would take something like that lightly, to me it seems that he tries to hold to his humanity.
Not to mention I don't think he would lie to Bella about it, I don't think he would have needed to, she had been so understanding up to this point I'm sure she would have been just as understanding of he had.
[img]http://www.elkevents.com/love.jpg[/img]
My fanfiction Story, I always wondered about Alice, she's one of my favorite characters.<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4188861/1/Throught_the_Eyes_of_Alice_Cullen">Through the Eyes of Alice Cullen</a>
<a href="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4256119/1/Darkest_Night"> Darkest Night, Alice Fan Fic </a>

seraphicullen
Settled in Forks

Post by seraphicullen »

I thought it was fitting, the way Edward had acted and spoke. It was actually the perfect match. Both Edward and Bella were much too mature for the average-high-school-teen level, so it essentially balances out.

Edward is very much against the idea of "stealing" Bella's sould, and therefore, is hesistant when it comes to Bella's poking and prodding of the issue. He wants to protect her from her own fantasies; he doesn't want her to become a "monster." Although I must admit, there are no barbaric traits to the way the Cullens lived. But soon enough, he will finally realize that it's what's best for both of them.

It would be very nice for Bella to have a mix of all the special abilities; because she is so caring and aware of everyone else's needs, she should be able to have something for her own. Perhaps she could have a little of Alice, a bit of Jasper, a tad of Rosalie, a jot of Emmett, a spot of Carlisle, a smidgen of Esme, and a whole lot of a little of Edward. :D

I believe I speak for all us girls: OF COURSE IT MADE ME FALL EVEN HARDER FOR EDWARD. If we hadn't known the circumstances, evidently it will seem somewhat creepy. But seeing as we have insight, I see it as the sweetest thing. :wink:

I truly do hope that he is just saying that to protect Bella. He knows his limit, though he seems to be pushing the envolope further and further. Of course, it is understandable; after all, how can you resist true love after a few life times of its absence?

I think Edward was on the same page as Bella. He is definitely old fashioned, which is truly sweet; it is very believable. Because he lacked the ability to protect his virtue, it is very important that he protect Bella's. He wants to grasp onto the hanging threads of humanity for as long as possible. He's the kind of guy that every girl would ever hope and dream for. In addition, Edward is very honest, he wouldn't lie to Bella, though there would be no need.
[color=aquamarine][size=75]Stupid Shiny Volvo Owner. [/size][/color] [color=yellow][size=75]Edward Anthony Masen Cullen. :][/size][/color]
[color=yellowgreen][size=75]MY BRAND OF HEROIN:[/color][/size]
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/misjunie484/bellsedmix.gif[/img]

PinkTutus
Wandering Through Town

Post by PinkTutus »

well at first i was thinking, omg! thats like a 100 year old guy in a 17 year old body! he could be my grandpa.. but then i thought about it and, well, edward and bella ar perfect, so that makes everything ok.

i think it is because he doesnt want her to start to want to be or become a vampire.
i think that bella's gift will be something to do with her clumsyness, or her ability to cook..

i think thats really sweet, but i dont know if i would really want someone spying on me at night... i wouldnt be able to sleep.

i think it is a mix of both. edward knows that i could happen, so he says that to protect bella.

i really dont know..

bunny99
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by bunny99 »

At little, but then I figured it didn't matter. He still looks like a young man, and Bella seems more mature for her age. They are destined to be together and a number won't stop them.

He doesn't want to put ideas into her head. Most people would be afraid, but not Bella, she'd think, "Is that all?"

I think Bella's trait would have something to do with blocking other vampire's powers. Edward's mind reading doesn't work on her, so I think she would have a certain control over anything that has to do with the mind. I'm sure she'll have a special trait, especially after reading New Moon.

I think it's kind of sweet. He just wants to be around her, try to figure her out. If Bella had have known earlier, she would have reacted badly, maybe thinking he was a strange stalker.

I think he's trying to protect her. He's still not 100% sure he can control himself, and he doesn't want to kill her. He may also be referring to his strength. If he got a little too, "active" it would kill her.

I was pretty sure he was as innocent as Bella. He doesn't seem like the type to act on sexual impulse. I believe his old fashioned values kept him waiting for the perfect girl, it just happened to take a while.

lela_cullen
Wandering Through Town

Post by lela_cullen »

I expected it. i felt like if edward was a vampirre he obviouslt wasn't going to be bella's actual age. it doesn't creep me out at all because he is just a really mature 17 year old :)

I think that it is because Alice sees bella becoming one of them, and he is not comfortable with that. so he keeps that from her so she knows as little as possible

reading other post i feel like bella will def. have a power. i used to think it would be something like alec, being unstopable...., but now im not sure. I do think however that she will be able to protect those she wishes with her mind.

The first time i read the book i was def like, ok that is a little weird. but after reading it a few more times. i think it is romantic, if i could have him watch me sleep because she couldnt stop thinking about me...i would.

I think that he is slightly nervous that he would not controll himself and he wants bella to be safe. at the same time, there is a huge differencebetween an intamate thirst and just being around bella im sure. he couldnt live with himself if anything happened.

I feel that edward is just as innocent as bella. I dont think that he has ever been in love or been intamate, kissed maybe, but def. not baking. he loves bella and i think he would be honest with her.

Utterlydecent
Settled in Forks

I have things to say about questions 5 and 6

Post by Utterlydecent »

5. Has anyone ever thought that maybe Edward can't...um...you know? He could just be lying--but, I'm quite sure that he loves Bella, and that he does want to protect her and all.
However, If he's a vampire, and susposedly dead or whatever, he doesn't have blood--in the excerpt from Midnight Sun, Edward says: "a scent that raced through my dry veins" Dry!--and in order for an intimate relationship between Bella and Edward to happen he needs [u][i]blood![/i][/u] But that's just one of my theories. I don't mean to be crude in any manner, if that's the way it appears; I'm just declaring my thoughts about what he said. So, please don't hold it against me.

6. I think that Edward is as innocent as Bella. He just sounds so inexperienced--okay, maybe not that inexperianced--and kind and wonderfully gentle, that I don't think that he's ever been in love or has never been with somebody. Because if he did, that would mean that he was unfaithful to himself, being with someone that he didn't love, when "being with someone" is very special and should remain decent between a couple that truly loves each other, and will stay forever with each other until they're dead.

Signed, Psyche
Uh...something happened when I previewed, that I don't quite understand. Who put "A SINGLE LETTER? WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANYONE USE A SINGLE LETTER TO REPLACE AN ENTIRE WORD?????????]" in my thing. It's confusing, could somebody please enlighten me?

EchoLynn
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by EchoLynn »

A: NO, IT ACTUALLY MADE IT SEEM A BIT MORE ROMANTIC IN MY OPINION...

A: BECAUSE HE KNOWS HER QUITE WELL, AND HE KNOWS THAT IF HE WAS TO DIVULDGE THE DETAILS, SHE WOULD BE TEMPTED TO ASK HIM TO TURN HER...I THINK LOL

A: SHE WOULD BE STRONGER AGAINST THE DRAW TO 'FEED' THEN THE OTHERS EVER WERE, SINCE SHE HAS SUCH AN ADVERSION TO BLOOD NOW...

A: I FELL... ITS HURT A LOT LOL.

A: HE IS ALWAYS TRYING TO PROTECT HER...

A: YOU CAN TELL THAT HE WAS A VIRGIN... JUST THE WAY HE ACTS, YOU CAN TELL HE NEVER REALLY DATED AT ALL...BESIDES, HE IS THE PERFECT GUY! LOL
"What those muggle nutters that cut people? Nah, they're Healers!" Ron Weasley - Order of the Phoenix
[img]http://i31.tinypic.com/okr4b8.gif[/img]
[url]http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/viewuser.php?showuid=94204[/url]
[url]http://www.fanfiction.net/~echolynn[/url]

Hereandthere
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by Hereandthere »

I thought that it was interesting that he was able to see so much in his life/existence. I sort of expected him to be much older than her (being a vampire and all) and I found it a bit sweet that he wants to be with her even though it would be a bit awkward at points. But as a vampire he is stuck in time he's 17 with 100 some odd years of experience and knowledge so it isn't really that strange.

He was either afraid to completely scare her off (as he mentions at his home saying that he's waiting to say something that will send her screaming) or he may have a had a feeling that she would want that to happen to her and he didn't want her to go through with that.

Her trait would either be a sort of immunity from blood because it makes her sick as a human or she will be an incredibly good tracker since she can "smell" blood even as a human. Two opposites I know but I think they're both possible. I have another one but it would have to do with things revealed in New Moon so I won't go into that.

By this point the things that Edward says aren't really creeping me out anymore because we see that his intentions are in the right place and he obviously isn't like other people, so I would have to say it made me fall for him. :wink:

It's a combination of both I think. He is honest about the fact that he can never be sure of himself as much as he tries there will always be that fact in the back of his mind that he can lose control. He protects Bella by telling her that because it's a valid danger.

At first I did think that it was possible that he was with someone else at some point. Not that I'm trying to tarnish his image or the image of anyone else that is older, but usually when people are around for sometime whether it is 30 years or 100 years, they feel a need to connect to someone if not emotionally, then physically so I thought he may have tried at some point since we see how lonely he really is...obviously I was way off.
Here, there, and everywhere...that's where you'll find me.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/RaiderCrash89/edward.jpg[/img] [img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/RensFeathers/Random/EdsPeople.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdamLgrH9hM]Check out Twilight for Dummies![/url] :D