Chapter 14 - Mind Over Matter

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
twilightupmylife
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by twilightupmylife »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?
Not at all. It makes him all the more amazing, honestly.. That he's survived through so much, and has so much knowledge and all.. I believe he can only help Bella grow..

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?
I believe he chose not to tell her this so he wouldn't scare her. I also know that she wanted to become a vampire(we DO learn that in the first book..correct?)

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?
Oh my, I have no clue.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?
Fall even harder. It shows he was intrigued and fascinated by Bella, making their love even more believable.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?
I think he didn't want Bella to grow to close. At the same time, I think he didn't trust himself enough, and push himself enough; which may have been smart due to it's dangers.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?
What happens in the 1900's, stays in the 1900's....lol. Honestly, I'm not sure. I think Edward is probably just as innocent..
- Stephanie
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/4875/edwardlh9.jpg[/img]

[b]Heaven's not a place that you go when you die; it's a moment in life when you actually feel [i]alive[/i]--so live for the moment.[/b]

beauty_before_blood
Settled in Forks

mind over matter

Post by beauty_before_blood »

1. What were your first thoughts about Edward's age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?

The only thing I thought of initally of Edward was that he was very rude and egotistical. He somehow put himself "above" every else at school. I didn't think he was that much older than Bella, at first.

2. Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?

He did not want to scare her. He was hoping she would guess just to clear the air, without going into too much detail. The process wasn't on a "need to know" basis, at that point.

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all?

Oh Bella will have multiple special traits, I'm certain. Her mind is much to closed off to be limited in her ability with others. I believe she will possess simular traits to both Alice and Edward, among other things. And she will be superbly beautiful.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward?

No, this does not creep me out. He finds other information about Bella while she sleeps. It's a mystery to him.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again?

Both are going on. He is able to control himself but only to a certain degree. He knows if he pushes himself too far, she may get hurt and he'd never let that happen. I see other things happening during this intimacy...other than the oooh la la of course.

6. Along those same lines, we learn that both Edward and Bella have never had a real relationship with another person before this. Many people have debated the issue of Edward's virginity, and that has been put to rest by Stephenie herself. Did you think that maybe Edward had been intimate before, he just hadn't had a real serious relationship with anyone he loved, or did you get it right from the start that he was just as innocent as Bella was in this matter?

I think other "girls" have tried in the past...perhaps in much "colder" circumstances. I believe Edward would never lie to Bella. The affection was never on his part with any other "girl". If there was any intimacy, Edward did his very best to dissuade it from continuing further.
"A hundred years from now, when you've gained enough perspective to really appreciate the answer, I will explain it to you."

stryker
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by stryker »

I was actually NOT creeped out at first. After a while I thought about it... it was pretty weird. It's like as if I got with an elder who looked 17ish. lol, but nonetheless i thought nothing of it later on..

He probably didn't want her to consider becoming one. He knew she'd be very curious and maybe tempted to try and attempt to become a vampire, and he just wanted her to remain human.

I think she'll have a special trait. Possibly something mental, because she has no trouble blocking people from HER mind. Edward couldn't hear her thoughts. If she was to get a power, I don't think it'd be physical or anything like that.

I mean, it was odd to take in at first. It was sweet and weird at the same time, I'd say.

I think a bit of both.

I just had a feeling that he was innocent... he seemed as innocent as Bella when it came to their love at first. [/b]

joanne
Banging out dents with Tyler

Re: Chapter 14 - Mind Over Matter

Post by joanne »

Alphie wrote:A warning once again - if you have read New Moon, answer these questions as if you have no knowledge of the events in the book. Be VERY careful with how you word your answers.

No, I was not creeped out at all. I was alittlt surprised at first, but after a bit, I was not surprised at all. I found it all to be fascinating and very interesting.

I believe he knew intuitively, that she might start THINKING, and did not want that..

3. We learn that many vampires are gifted with supernatural traits. Stephenie has told us that vampires are drawn to special humans, and therefore when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, I simply must ask the question everyone one of us has asked at some point. If Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be? And is it possible for her to not have any special trait at all? I think Bella will definatly have some power. She has gifts with foreshadowing ( her dreams), perhaps this might be her special gift.

4. Edward lets it out that he's been watching Bella as she sleeps. Again, did this creep you out or make you fall even harder for Edward? No, no creeping out, I find this real sexy and loving. I wonder what he was thinking.

5. Edward says two possibly conflicting things in this chapter. First, he explains that in the last few days, he has put mind over matter and has been able to control his thirst for her - that the temptation isn't as strong. He later says that he doesn't think it would ever be possible for them to have an intimate relationship because it would be too difficult for him to control himself. Do you think he's being honest with himself, or do you think he's just trying to protect Bella again? PROTECT BELLA, phyiscally, he is strong, that may be a problem, but I think his love for her over powers his thirst for her.

I truly believe that he is a virgin. His gentleness, his soft caresses, his... I could go on and on, I don't think he has any reason to lie.
"Time passes. Even when it seems impossible. Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise. It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for
me". (NM4)

"Losing track of time was the most I asked from life". (NM 4)

almost a bella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 14 - Mind Over Matter

Post by almost a bella »

A warning once again - if you have read New Moon, answer these questions as if you have no knowledge of the events in the book. Be VERY careful with how you word your answers.

he has seen alot. Plus it is kind of cool. Think about it, the stuff he hears in history he lived through.

Yes, he doesn't want her getting that idea. he wants her to be human.

Yes, Maybe something mental. She seems to defiy Edward's abilities.

It is sweet. He must really like her. It was a liittle stalker at first but still sweet.

Trying to protect Bella and trying to convince himself.

I think he is just innocent. I don't think he would lie to her.
TWILIGHT: The story of the lion and the lamb. A modern tale of Romeo and Juliet.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;0;5/st/20080802/e/Breaking+Dawn+Release/dt/-1/k/611c/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Fan Fics:on fanfiction.net 9user name: lavenderbella0
Jane's Visit
What? Engaged1

Carrisa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Carrisa »

For this to be my frist vampire book or anything vampire related, it didn't bother at all. He didn't act the age and that's what helped me over look it. Age difference doesn't mean much to me.

He didn't want her life to be decided so suddenly; to end just because she met him. He has felt guilt over throughout his lifetime, and he doesn't want her to have to feel the same.

I've never been good at guessing at such things, but I'd have to say her immunity to other's abilities would be inhanced.

I was a little creeped at first but I fell harder for him. It's like having a gaurdian angel without realizing it.
Now if it were anyone other than Edward...

A bit of both, but more of the first statement. Edward tries to re-assure himself that he could work through the temptation and be with Bella, but he truly sees no way.

Maybe I'm too trustworthy, whether the person is real or not, of one's words, but I believed Edward right off the bat. He seemed quite innocent and untouched by the times to have the morals he grew up with in his human life to be changed.
[color=darkred]"Of course I love you-- and there's nothing you can do about it!"
- Bella (NewMoon, p. 512)[/color]
[color=cyan]"When I looked into your eyes and you dared to stare right back
You should have said 'Nice to meet you. I'm your other half'"
-Relient K, 'The Best Thing'[/color]
[url=http://www.mybannermaker.com/][img]http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/998/mybannerglitterb3b80515fx3.gif[/img][/url]

TopazTears1527
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by TopazTears1527 »

-----
Not at all. It made me love him more actually, because the time period he was born in, was focused on manners and propriety. So he's the perfect gentleman in a world of horny teenage boys. LOL

-----
I believe that he's trying to avoid the subject so she will be discouraged and not bring it up again, and because it's the most painful physical memory for him.

------
To tell you the truth, the only thing I'm sure of, is that Bella will definitely have a talent. I mean come on, it's Bella! But, over at FanFiction, her talent has been beaten to death in plots. I've seen bunches of stuff; from human abilities, to elements. But personally, I believe that she will be kind and forgiving or something like that.

------
I had mixed feelings about this. At first, I thought it was very sweet of him; but then I put myself into Bella's shoes and decided that it would be kind of awkward.

--------
I think that deep down inside, he wants to be intimate with Bella, but is telling himself that it would risk her safety.

--------
I believe that he has true innocence. Because, back in those times, it was inapropriate to have premarital "relations" with another person. And if he did have a wife, then I believe Carlisle would have told him.
Achmed the dead terrorist- Silence! I kill you!
---
Jeff Dunham-Now, Switzerland is making these watches called 'swatches'.
Walter- Switzerland huh? It's a good thing they don't make them in Croatia. "What time is it?" "I don't know, let me look at my crotch."

Winter
Wandering Through Town

Post by Winter »

It didnt even come into my head that it was possibly weird he was so much older, i was just so amazed at how much trust he was placing in telling Bella, i know he didnt have another choice he would take but i just felt for Edward...imagine what it must have felt like for him to actually say it out loud to Bella...

I thought it was because he doesnt want to take her soul away...plus a part of me is hoping that Alice has told him that it will happen and that "he" will be the one to do it to Bella and he is still in denial???

This is a hard one for me, i love Bella, i love so much about her, but for me its hard, i dont think it will be a physical power, im guessing maybe, possibly, it has something to do with her mind, like maybe she will have similar powers to Jasper, the ability to make people forget, clear their minds or something...maybe then they could stay in places longer and so on???

I fell even harder, hit the floor with a thud lol, nothing about him creeped me out..i thought it was nice! I was actually more happy that Edward had something else to do...something he looked forward to, a change from the last few decades...

hmmm i think he is trying to protect both Bella and himself, i think the want is there for him and after such a long time thats a pretty major "new intense" kind of feeling to be getting so it must be hard for him but at the same time he loves her and wont ever want to hurt her....

hmm i thought maybe he had been with a vampire or two but wasnt convinced so i wasnt surprised when he told her he hadnt...sighs...made me love him even more!

mommavamp
Wandering Through Town

Post by mommavamp »

I was not at all creeped out by Edward's chronological "age". I guess I see him as a 17 yr old boy/man who got stuck in a time period that was very innocent and gentle. Even though he has "lived" a lot of years and seen the world change MY Edward is true to his roots.

He did tell her it was very, very painful, but you don't really get if that was a physical pain or an emotional one. I do not feel he is keeping anything from her at this point.

It may be possible for Bella to not have any special triat were she to become a vampire. However, I do believe there is a reason Edward cannot hear her mind and her speical talent may have something to do with that.

You know, maybe a little of both, then, Edward being Edward I fall in love with him at every chapter all over again. He is easy to forgive.

I think Edward knows exactly what he means. He is able to put mind over matter as long as his emotions do not get to out of his control. He can kiss Bella up to a point and then he has to calm himself because, I am sure, he is feeling urges that he is not sure he can control. Everyone has a "point of no return" so to speak. This is all new to him. He has to learn how to handle it.

I believe Edward and Bella are equal in this area. He comes from an era where you just did not do that sort of thing unless you were married and/or in love. Even in love, most would not have had physical relations until after they were married.

lollylew
Settled in Forks

Post by lollylew »

To be quite honest, I was expecting him to be MUCH older than that. I actually like the fact that they were at least born in the same century.

I think first of all he didn't want to give her any ideas. Second, since we learn later in the book how painful it was would you want anyone to know?

I suppose that her special trait has to do with the fact that Edward can't read her mind; there must be something about that. Also, no I do not believe that she no special trait at all.

I totally laughed out loud when I read this part! I felt Bella's embarrassment knowing that he has been watching her and thinking that he may have heard something while she talked in her sleep. It also made me realize the few hints Stephenie had written in previous chapters (i.e. why Bella's window opened so easily) regarding his "nightly" visits. Knowing about these visits and the fact that Edward wanted to spy on her (probably because he wanted to be near her) made me fall harder for Edward.

I think both. He knows that by becoming physically intimate with her he runs the risk of being carried away by his senses and doing something he will regret later.

Considering the time he lived and his age it would not have been appropriate for him to have been intimate with someone else (that wasn't the age of everyone just having casual relationships with whomever they wanted). I'm sure that there may have been girls he liked and possibly even flirted with but nothing physical would have come of it.
[img]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/lollylew/Esmeschildren2.jpg[/img]