Chapter 13 ~ Confessions

Our chapter by chapter discussion area for Twilight.
poeticallyxpathetic
Wandering Through Town

Post by poeticallyxpathetic »

Most Important Confessions

I think that Bella's most important confession is that she wants to be with him more than she thinks she should. Edward is continually frustrated by his attraction, well more of an obssession, to Bella. Knowing that she feels something the same as him, even if it may seem small, i think that that is important. I think it might make him feel like less of a monster.

I think that Edward's most inportant confession, is basically the same as Bella's. He explains to her, rather thoroughly, that she is "his brand of heroin." She begins to grasp just how much she is to him. I think that it also has some of the same affect on her, as her confession did on him. She feels embarrased about wanting to be with him "more than she should". Knowing that he wants to be with her even more than that would provide relief for me. Knowing that even if i am a lunatic, i'm not the only one.

Humanity

Edward and Bella have a need to feel close to each other. I think that they feel closest, when they come down to the deepest truth. When Edward is telling Bella how much he loves her, how he could never hurt her. All the things he loves about her, for example, the way she blushes.

Love is a confusing emotion, and for a vampire who has gone without it (except for love for his family, which doesn't really compare to this. it's kind of a different kind of love) for 100 years, it would seem to be many times more confusing. When Edward gets down past all the confusion and doubt and tells Bella how much he is devoted to her, he is telling her one of the deepest truths someone can tell.

Also, part of a "Human" relationship, is looking past insecurities, or "vulnerabilities", to see perfection in imperfections. When you say that you love someone, it is often considered a weakness. I don't know if Edward feels this way about love (i doubt it now that i think about it) then he is letting go of a big insecurity, and hoping Bella doesn't act negatively against it, by telling her that he is in love with her.

Romance

This basically goes with everything else that i have been saying. Edward is forgetting every doubt that tells him that he should stay away from bella, and tells her that he loves her.

InLoVeWiThAbOoK
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by InLoVeWiThAbOoK »

The chapter is entitled "confessions". What do you think the most meaningful confession on Bella's part, and what is the most meaningful confession on Edward's part?

Edwards part: that Bella is his brand of heroin, i think confessing that was a big deal for him, hes confessing that its hard for him because he cares for her but he is so attracted to her blood.

Bella's part: Bella confesses she has never felt this way before and i think its brave to confess that, she doesnt know how he might react to that ...

The subject of humanity and what is means to be truly human constantly comes up. How do is the humanity of Bella and Edward best displayed in this chapter?

just that they began to touch each other and it is tolerable for Edward, its a big step and it shows that they have a more human relationship now.

This is the chapter where we really see a romance blooming between Edward and Bella. What was the most romantic moment for you?

thats a hard one ... there are two ...
1. when Edward tells bella to be still and just touches her very softly.

2. when they kiss and its overwhelming for Edward
http://dealwiththepain.livejournal.com

ArdaSilverlace
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by ArdaSilverlace »

The chapter is entitled "confessions". What do you think the most meaningful confession on Bella's part, and what is the most meaningful confession on Edward's part?

I loved this chapter - it might be my favorite from Twilight. I think Bella's most meaningful confession was about what she was afraid of - no Edward, but the thought that she'd like to stay with Edward much more than she should. And that she'd rather die than stay away from him.
Edward's most meaningful confession was everything he told Bella about how much he wanted, not just her, but her blood. It was very hard for him to explain that to her without seeming like a monster or scaring her off. Plus, it was brave of him to admit how much he wanted to attack Bella then and there on her first day. big stpe in their relationship!

The subject of humanity and what is means to be truly human constantly comes up. How do is the humanity of Bella and Edward best displayed in this chapter?

I thought Edward's humanity was shown by his quick impatience which always showed up whenever he was waiting for Bella ot answer an important question. His inability to read her mind might make Edward feel at a disadvantage, perhaps more normal when he's around Bella. Bella's humanity was shown through her odd fears. She's not afraid of her vampire boyfriend, but grows faint at high speeds (and the sight of blood.) Ironic!

This is the chapter where we really see a romance blooming between Edward and Bella. What was the most romantic moment for you?

I thought all the near-kisses and the entire sunhine in the clearing scence were adorable, but I really loved the conversation between Bella and Edward. Their devotion to each other is so cute, along with the their teasing. I enjoyed this quote of Edward's: "I don't know how to ve close to you. I don't know if I can."
AW!
[color=purple] When Emmett does a push-up, he doesn't go up, the world goes down. [/color]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/8764/twilightjh6.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2176/theclipsela3.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1412/eighthorcruxesoq7.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/453/remembersiriusog1.jpg[/img][/url]

FilDeCuivre

Post by FilDeCuivre »

The most meaningful confession that Bella made was that one where she told that she'd rather die than live without him and from Edward's side I think it was the part where he he said this to Bella: "you are exactly my brand of heroine"(Aww, heart melting!)

The subject of humanity and what it means to be truly human constantly comes up. How do is the humanity of Bella and Edward best displayed in this chapter?
For Edward, I think that the part were he leaps away from Bella and the way he acts around her shows his humanity. And Bella just, well, she... OMG I have no idea! I'm trying but there comes nothing in my mind.. It was so easy to think Edward's humanity, but she is more difficult.

Of course there were two very romantic moments:
1. when they told how they felt about each other
2. their first kiss
"Imagine living forever. Living one life is hard enough.â€

JollyRancher
Settled in Forks

Post by JollyRancher »

The chapter is entitled "confessions". What do you think is the most meaningful confession on Bella's part, and what is the most meaningful confession on Edward's part?
to me, bella's most meaningful confession was admitting that she wanted to be with edward more than she should- she even said that it was hard for her to say out loud. and then edward's predictable follow-up response about their relationship being a problem just makes her confession seem more meaningful.
basically, i thought that edward's entire dialogue was a confession, the most meaningful bits being where he talks about how he felt when he and bella first had class.

The subject of humanity and what is means to be truly human constantly comes up. How is the humanity of Bella and Edward best displayed in this chapter?
ArdaSilverlace wrote:
I thought Edward's humanity was shown by his quick impatience which always showed up whenever he was waiting for Bella to answer an important question. His inability to read her mind might make Edward feel at a disadvantage, perhaps more normal when he's around Bella.

^definitely. I thought that the moment where Bella was most frightened of Edward (when he demonstrated his strength/speed) was also a very human moment.

all of bella's and edward's gentle touches (esp. bella's careful/curious touches and edward listening to her heart) were, i thought, very very sweet and romantic! i love it when edward keeps telling her not to be afraid, even though he's repeatedly told her before that she should be afraid of him.
this is my favorite chapter. :D
[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/kate629/bunny_sig2.jpg[/img]

Mayde
Better Tracking Skills Than James

Re: Chapter 13 ~ Confessions

Post by Mayde »

The most meaningful confession on Bella's part would have to be when she says, "I was afraid...because, for, well, obvious reasons, I can't stay with you. And I'm afraid that I'd like to stay with you, much more than I should" (pg. 266). And the most meaningful confession on Edward's part would have to be when he says "You are the most important thing to me now. The most important thing to me ever" (pg. 273). I guess the most meaningful confession for both of them was the same thing.

When Edward tells Bella how confused he is and basically the whole confession thing.

When Bella was examining Edward's hand/arm. I would've said the kiss if only Bella hadn't "attacked" Edward and ended the moment :D
Need help searching? Ask my new partner [b]Cullengirl[/b] in the [url=http://www.twilightlexicon.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10643][b][color=#CC99FF]Search thread![/color][/b][/url] She's a much better searcher than I am :)

mindreader
Settled in Forks

Post by mindreader »

When they both tell each outher how much they care about each other.

The way they are both experiencing all these strong new feelings that they have for each other.

The entire chapter was so cute and romantic but I've narrowed it down to my top three
1. The softly touching each other in the meadow
2. The cute way the tease and flirt with each other
3. The kiss...of course
"Perhaps he would hesitate to prolong the moment, that ideal moment of anticipation, sometimes better than the kiss itself.
Edward hesitated to test himself.."

genealogygirl

Post by genealogygirl »

What do you think the most meaningful confession on Bella's part, and what is the most meaningful confession on Edward's part?

I think Bella's confessions of her fears -- fear of his bloodthirst, fear of the vampirism that he so vividly demonstrated for her and most of all, fear of the blooming love between them and her own feelings -- is the most telling confession from her end.

For Edward's confessions, I think it's too hard to choose, so I'll just say the long sequence of confessions starting with her first day at school and ending with his falling in love with her.

How is the humanity of Bella and Edward best displayed in this chapter?

Bella's humanity is emphasized when she is watching Edward demonstrate his speed and strength ("as if you could outrun me" -- "as if you could fight me off"). She realizes how inhuman Edward can be, and in so doing, I think she realizes her own fragile humanity in a new way.

While I agree that his increasingly human gestures as he and Bella begin to express their love show his humanity, I think his humanity is best shown in the emotions that he struggles to express. He can't quite believe, even yet, that he has these feelings at all, and it makes him vulnerable and on somewhat equal footing with Bella (especially since they are both equally inexperienced at romance).

The last paragraph of that chapter probably wins that one for me (closely edging out the actual first kiss). I just love "Regardless, I have better reflexes."

I also adore the line "Are you still faint from the run or was it my kissing expertise?" SWOON in a huge way.

drchase
Wandering Through Town

Post by drchase »

1. The most meaningful confession on Bella's is her admittance that she would rather die than be away from him. And Edward's, yes, I'm going to be the different one as usual, when he admits that he doesn't know how to be close to her, if he can. It projects, in so many words, for the first time, they're really going to have to fight, more than they already have...yikes! but awwww all the same.

2. The humanity of Edward? That's pretty hard for me. He's the beautiful one...the god-like one...-snap out of it!!! :lol: :oops: Oh, wait, I found the perfect one! pg.273 (impressive, no?) When Edward said he couldn't bear it if anything happened to her, especially if it was his fault. All his strength, power, speed is stripped away with things concerning Bella. It's almost as if they don't apply. To kill her, a weak human, would be to kill himself. Gosh, I'm such a sap.
And Bella's? Probably while Edward does his predator's demonstration. She realizes her human frailties on a new level.

3. Ahhhh...my special moment of sappiness! Ummm oh yeah: The listening to Bella's heart...I thought that was so...it was more than cute, more mature than just romantic.

Actually, my favorite romantic scene isn't in confessions...it's before Edward and Bella have to split to get rid of James, when Edward's trying to convince her nothing's going to happen to her, but she's just worried about him. The i love you in that nearly broke my "no-tear-glands" policy again.
I could feel his marble body against every line of mine, and I was so glad he hadn't listened to me-there was no pain in the world that would have justified missing this.

ARRRGGHH!!! And I was sooo ready to pop him in the mouth! And then he went all...Edward.

Josie
Settled in Forks

Post by Josie »

What do you think is the most meaningful confession on Bella's part, what do you think is the most meaning confession on Edward's part?

On Bella's part well I think there only one answer to that question. A what is that answer? That Bella is so in love with him that she is willing to risk her life just to be in his presense for one day. Then there Edward, as far as we know Edward has never shown any human his ability to sparkle in the sun.

How is the humunity in Bella and Edward best displayed in this chapter?

That after all the thing going agenst there love the still try to make it like any other human relationship. This chapter was made for hopless romantic. Boy do I love this chapter.

This is the chapter where we really see really see a romance blooming between Bella and Edward. What was the most romantic moment for you?

I have two answers for that I can't diside. When Bella and Edward say goodbye there last kiss god that gets me every time. It's so damn sad!! And the love letter Bella writes to Edward it's heart ripping though I know what's going to happen.
What an INCREDIBLELY smart lamb!
Got Twilight?
I'm betting on Alice.