Imprinting....As good as human love?

Welcome to our debate forum where we will have hot topics for you to discuss weekly. Just as a reminder we will only leave topics open for the week and then start a new one.
valerrrria
Banging out dents with Tyler

Post by valerrrria »

kcats14 I had this wierd theory that Jake would have imprinted on Bella has she not been bitten by James in Twilight.

The question is, had he actually, 'officially', imprinted on her, would the love he feels for now be greater? Would it be the same?

Also, like you said, if the woman (or man) you imprint on, is in love with someone else, they still feel that love for the original person, but I think they start to realize that the love with the person who imprinted on you, would be greater. It doesn't take away from the love you feel for the other person, but the love in a relationship with the person who imprinted on you would be stronger, healthier, and all around better balanced. I think imprinting is the automatic realization that, that person, is your other half, your 'soul mate'.
MelissaSwitzerland
Settled in Forks

Post by MelissaSwitzerland »

here , here valerrria!
i totally agree!
Working out a sharing arangement...
valerrrria

Post by valerrrria »

MelissaSwitzerland wrote:here , here volderrria!
i totally agree!

hahah, i suppose you mean me?

And Thank you :)
MelissaSwitzerland
Settled in Forks

yeah, i edited that by the way... :D :P
valerrrria

Post by valerrrria »

Hahah nice. Thanks.
Bkwrm
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Bkwrm »

If Jacob had imprinted upon Bella, he wouldn't have forced a kiss upon her. He wouldn't have "torn her in half". (*His* words. He admits he manipulated her.) He would have given her the space she asked for.

As for the "who can resist that kind of adoration"; remember, at that point Jake is still a 16-year-old teen hoping that his adoration will spark similar feelings in Bella. It's his own wishful thinking. A lot of people believe if you love someone enough, you can make them love you back.

As for Claire... I hope she's given the choice, I really do. I hope she's given the opportunity to date and choose her life. But I keep having horrible visions of her being marched up the aisle by Uncle Sam and Aunt Emily, each telling her, "It's your destiny! It's for the good of the pack!"
valerrrria

Post by valerrrria »

Bkwrm wrote:If Jacob had imprinted upon Bella, he wouldn't have forced a kiss upon her. He wouldn't have "torn her in half". (*His* words. He admits he manipulated her.) He would have given her the space she asked for.

As for the "who can resist that kind of adoration"; remember, at that point Jake is still a 16-year-old teen hoping that his adoration will spark similar feelings in Bella. It's his own wishful thinking. A lot of people believe if you love someone enough, you can make them love you back.

As for Claire... I hope she's given the choice, I really do. I hope she's given the opportunity to date and choose her life. But I keep having horrible visions of her being marched up the aisle by Uncle Sam and Aunt Emily, each telling her, "It's your destiny! It's for the good of the pack!"
Hmm I disagree. I don't even think it matters if you imprint or not. When that was happening, it wasn't just because Jake wanted Bella to chose him (note; I said not only, meaning it was still about that) but also about him not wanting Bella to chose to be a Vampire. He doesn't want Bella to die. This makes so much sense. I dont think Jake would want that for anyone. This case just really hits home, so he tries even harder to make her chose something else.

I think if he imprinted on her, he would have done the same thing.

About the second point you made, yes Jake is hoping Bella will want to be with him, but he also knows what imprinting is like through Sam and Quil (I think its Quil).He's talking from experience thought not his own, but experience none the less.

With imprinting though, I dont see it as mandatory. Emily didn't have to be with Sam. She chose to. Despite the fact that he was her cousins boyfriend, she chose to be with him. She hated that in order to be with him she had to be the one to break Leaha's heart, but she eventually, she wanted Sam as much as he wanted her.
MelissaSwitzerland
Settled in Forks

yes, imprinting is a choice.
not for the imprinters maybe but the imprintee gets to choose and the imprinter has no chioce but to comply with that choice because they love the other person so much that have to follow that decision. all the power really lies with the imprintee, if they want that great slighty (ok not slightly) obsessive love then they will get it. if they choose to make another person happy: like if emily had decided to have sam keep leah despite his imprint with her, then they could do that...
there is always a choice with everything in SM's world (see my first post for the long version of that)
Cullenesque71
Buying a Better Raincoat

Imprinting

Post by Cullenesque71 »

Is imprinting as good as ordinary human love? For the imprinter? For the imprintee?

I would think it's just more intense, stronger....If they people involved have no choice, how could they judge it to be better or worse than human love?

Does it undermine the worth of love if you have no say about it? Does it make a relationship stronger -- or less meaningful -- if there is no possibility that the imprinter will ever fall out of love?

I don't think it undermines the worth of love--maybe it's more instinctual...these guys are turning into animals. Maybe they're like some animals who mate for life! :D

How would you feel about either imprinting or being imprinted on?
I personally think it would be a bit freaky.

What do you think Stephenie wants us to think about imprinting?

Hmmm...good question. Maybe she wants us to look at the "power" of this instinctual type of love, something that goes beyond our normal human understanding.
~Lisa~
[img]http://i29.tinypic.com/300haxd.jpg[/img]
Sasha
Lured by the scent

Post by Sasha »

Vampire Soul wrote:ut think: if Leah imprints, then all four of them will be some of the happiest people on earth. And also, if Jacob imprints, then it will save both him and Bella a lot of pain. (Even though he doesn't think he will, I hope so).
But wouldn't that undermine Leah's feelings for Sam, that one day she feels awful and then WHAM and life is good? Same for Jake. If I was either of them, the forced happiness would not outweigh the feeling of manipulation.
At least there's one example of imprinting in the books that wasn't fraught with disaster!
There are two, if you count the one from way back when. Then again, those are also the two instances we know almost nothing about. There may be more to them than we have been told.
(Also, I do not think it is necessarily true that imprinting trumps soul mates---not with these freaky supernatural creatures)
Well, the two concepts are pretty much identical, right? See. Bam. In love.
[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z61/SashaSav/iamlukeskywalker.jpg[/img]
Proud Member of [b][color=darkred]The Clipper Gang[/color][/b] :evil:

[b][size=75]Banner made by the lovely Paulina_x!!
Avvie from Morriganscrow[/size][/b]